1 TB internal HDD for asus laptop

anirudh panwar

please advice brand for this HDD...wanted for my asus laptop X512FA model...upgrade..it already has a 256 GB ssd.i ve beeen advsed to pick up a 2.5 inch SDATA HDD 7200 rpm .the laptop has a hdd slot but no hdd installed...it onl;y has a ssd right noiw..plus 12 GB RAM

Are you running out of storage on the 256GB? Instead of getting an SSD, why not invest in an external self-powered drive?

MaSh

Expansion Slots (includes used)​

1x DDR4 SO-DIMM slot
1x M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0x2
1x STD 2.5” SATA HDD

this is the info page in asus website for my laptop model.my storage is visible below

Attachments

• Screenshot (61).png
    Screenshot (61).png
    539.9 KB · Views: 10
Can u see my storage
Yes, I do see and notice that the storage available is 131GB and not 256GB. The bulk of it is occupied by Pictures. You could move them to an external drive and a backup on the cloud.

However, if you want to add another drive you could add it in your Pcie slot or sata slot whichever one is available. Seagate, WD are the popular ones available on Amazon.

I had replaced the hdd on one of my old laptops which is being used by the kid for School From Home. If I remember, I put in a Toshiba hdd. Just needed OS and MS Teams to run. Drive has been performing quite well. Better and longer than I expected.

MaSh

please advice brand for this HDD...wanted for my asus laptop X512FA model...upgrade..it already has a 256 GB ssd.i ve beeen advsed to pick up a 2.5 inch SDATA HDD 7200 rpm .the laptop has a hdd slot but no hdd installed...it onl;y has a ssd right noiw..plus 12 GB RAM
Why HDD when prices of 2.5" SSD really came down?

SSD will outperform HDD at any given day. HDD should be fine if use this drive only for storing files.

ok..but adding a ssd will it mean i will have to replace my old ssd?or will the new ssd be a add on
As per specification, it has one m2 and one sata slot. So, you don't have to do anything additional, just put a 2.5" drive on the 2nd slot and you should be good. You can run tools like Everest to find out how the slots are occupied currently.

some screenshoyts with everest..i cant make out anything in this...can you pl see that OM2K19

Attachments

• Screenshot (62).png
    Screenshot (62).png
    457.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (63).png
    Screenshot (63).png
    301.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    322.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot (65).png
    Screenshot (65).png
    259.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot (66).png
    Screenshot (66).png
    322.9 KB · Views: 5
Lastly..is a 5400 rpm hdd ok ...somene suggested a 7200 rpm to get high speed but im told thats meant for a desktop only
No. HDD data transfer depends upon its speed. So it holds good both for desktop and laptop. Higher ram HDD improves performance in data centric work.

Go ahead man, if only 5400rpm drives are available, then that's it. Word of caution, if the Laptop is still under warranty, opening the back panel may void it. Better check with Asus support once. Also, put a rubber glove before installing the drive, HDD is prone to damage due to statics.

Also do confirm the thickness of the internal 2.5" HDD. Generally they are 9.5mm, some thinner laptops use 7mm. You can install a 7mm hdd in a 9.5mm slot, but will have to cut a few strips of rubber or 2 sided tape to prevent it from wobbling around. Some companies also offer an adapter kit kind of thing for this.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back