INTEL NUC6CAYS as Media player. On global shipping in Amazon US

rbalagopalan

Intel has newly launched a sixth generation NUC model 6CAYS at affordable price which is lot cheaper than Highend media player and can out beat any media player.

The best part is this model is pre loaded with 2GB of RAM (upgradeable to 8GB) and 32 GB of soldered down eMMC memory with Windows 10 PRO factory installed.

This has the provision to install 2.5" HDD or SSD up to 2TB.

Comes with BLUETOOTH, WIFI, and INFRARED SENSOR for out of the box all wireless support and Windows remote support.

This has 4 USB3 ports, Full size HDMI port, mainly OPTICAL OUTPUT.

For detailed specifications,
Get to Know the Intel NUC Kit NUC6CAYS

Intel NUC 6CAYS (don't buy CAYH) right now it is available in Amazon.com under global shipping program including freight and duty for 272$. Just install Kodi and what not. See the spec in Intel website you will be amazed.

In fact connected my 2 Nos 16TB HDD bay and this NUC will browse through the folders simultaneously which no media player in 400$ can do even.

I have also installed 2TB 2.5" HDD inside with 1.7TB of FLAC and WAVE files almost 1.5 lakh songs. This NUC will browse the songs like a breeze which no media player was able to do with out buffering.

All with the original 2GB RAM. The same fan be upgraded to 8Gb. So far ididnt find the necessity.

Suggestions
* Also get mini optical to Toslink cable as it has got a direct optical out. So you can connect your DAC with no need for a USB converter.
* Get one 1 or 2 TB 2.5" HDD which can be installed inside.
* Get one windows remote it becomes perfect mediaplayer.

I was the one to largely support POPCORN hour for its performance couple of years. In fact I have received thanking mail from their US marketing team.

Last two years I am with NUC its the best and versatile solution.

You can think about NUC 5i5ryh, 5i7ryh or 6i7kyk these are all real work horse and can handle anything that you throw at them.

Any one needs any suggestion / clarification on NUC i am here to help. Cause I have used almost all models right from 3rd gen to 6th gen.

Many of the AV dealers are using the Intel NUC5CPYH installing Kodi and change the name KODI to their own name and are selling it as high end mediaplayer for Rs. 1 to 1.5lakhs.

Thanks,

R. Balagopalan

I am in the look out for a Media player/HTPC that can play all types of media including BD ISO, Rips, HEVC with HD Audio Passthrough to my AVR.

Had shortlisted Shield TV & a custom PC with the below config :
7th Gen Intel Pentium G4600 Kaby Lake, Micro-ATX motherboard with 4 GB RAM and an SSD.

My ultimate requirement is to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime in 5.1 and to play all Local, media , Blu Ray Discs & rips (i am talking 40-50GB ones) with HD Audio bitstreamed to my AVR. ( I know that I will need to get a Fire Stick for the streaming to get 5.1) .

What do you suggest ? will this NUC be able to play it well ?

Yep i may be interested on this...Will discuss with you later..

You are welcome Srini. In fact when ever we had audio meet at my residence I have been playing thru NUC only.

I am in the look out for a Media player/HTPC that can play all types of media including BD ISO, Rips, HEVC with HD Audio Passthrough to my AVR.

Had shortlisted Shield TV & a custom PC with the below config :
7th Gen Intel Pentium G4600 Kaby Lake, Micro-ATX motherboard with 4 GB RAM and an SSD.

My ultimate requirement is to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime in 5.1 and to play all Local, media , Blu Ray Discs & rips (i am talking 40-50GB ones) with HD Audio bitstreamed to my AVR. ( I know that I will need to get a Fire Stick for the streaming to get 5.1) .

What do you suggest ? will this NUC be able to play it well ?

Absolutely just like that like a breeze. I would recommend you Intel NUC 6i7KYK with 16 or 32 GB DDR4 RAM with 250GB of SSD. This config you should get around 750$.

Last edited:
Please check in your Intel NUC6CAYS 4K videos are playing alright and also full BD ISO files with stuttering. I will be more keen in replacing my popcorn hour which i am using for videos instead of my squeezebox for music.

Please check in your Intel NUC6CAYS 4K videos are playing alright and also full BD ISO files with stuttering. I will be more keen in replacing my popcorn hour which i am using for videos instead of my squeezebox for music.

As of now I have no 4K files in soft copy. It can be down loaded no issues. AFA BD ISOs no issues that too from my 12TB Raid. You can visit me to see the performance. The config of CAYS is far superior than PCH (ram can be increased to 8GB if need be) and you know I was the one to write more about PCH in fact I have received a thanks mail from Sybass Technologies. Later I found PCH is good only up to 2TB support.

Now a days all these HTPC softwares are working like a charm not like 2010 which pushed us to search for Media player.

As of now I have no 4K files in soft copy. It can be down loaded no issues. AFA BD ISOs no issues that too from my 12TB Raid. You can visit me to see the performance. The config of CAYS is far superior than PCH (ram can be increased to 8GB if need be) and you know I was the one to write more about PCH in fact I have received a thanks mail from Sybass Technologies. Later I found PCH is good only up to 2TB support.

Now a days all these HTPC softwares are working like a charm not like 2010 which pushed us to search for Media player.

Hi,

I was wondering about the fan and the noise it makes. Any feedback on this?

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering about the fan and the noise it makes. Any feedback on this?

Thanks

Come on this is not like your A/c's fan. You will hardly hear anything. Now a days the fan blade technology has developed so much they use reverse curved blades where in it will produce high velocity at very low DB, In this case negligible DB. You have to go get very close to hear it. If I am not wrong only when we do complex processing in the CPU only then fan attains full RPM in any CPU. For movie watching especially songs listening we are hardly ever using the 2% of CPUs capacity so the fan does not run in half the speed.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back