Media Server / Streamer / Player

Yes, this is correct. It will also NOT stream via DLNA/UPnP.

I tried all these with mine, and ended up using Roon. I set up a i5 8th Gen NUC as a Roon ROCK server and called it a day. I use a 6 year old iPad as the remote. IMHO, this is also the best sounding solution, not to mention the easiest to use solution once set up. The only downside is the yearly Roon subscription, but I suppose about 800.00 INR a month is a reasonable price to pay for the overall benefits and advantages that it brings with it. I was very sceptical about Roon, but just one day into the trial, I was sold!

EDIT: To add, if your budget is 1.5L for the music streaming solution, a Matrix mini i Pro 3 (80k), a Roon ROCK (29k for a NUC8i5BEH, 250GB m.2 SSD, 8GB RAM) and a yearly Roon Subscription ($199.88) will fit well, and leave you plenty of cash (about 31k or so) to spare. You could use any phone or tablet you have at home as the remote.

For 1.5L I could get an Element M as well. Wouldn't that work without all this NUC and Roon in the middle? Wont it decode and render MQA?

If you want just a streamer without inbuilt DAC, then sotm sms-200ultra neo is a very good option. I am not sure about MQA though. It will read from an external USB and is a DLNA renderer as well.
I was looking for a streamer + DAC (either 1 box or 2 box solution) in this price range. But it seems like the cheapest option with DAC is the Matrix M. With the SoTM I would need to add a DAC that would mean another 70k or so for a DacMagic 200M or something along those lines. The Matrix M would cover both in one box.

For 1.5L I could get an Element M as well. Wouldn't that work without all this NUC and Roon in the middle? Wont it decode and render MQA?
Absolutely. It would work as a stand-alone device. And it is MQA capable (decoder + renderer). It would sound quite good too!

No offence to OP ,but I fail to comprehend why someone with over 3000 CDs in his personal collection would want to make an investment in computer based audio
It’s like someone choosing to buy frozen vegetables despite having own backyard garden.

No offence to OP ,but I fail to comprehend why someone with over 3000 CDs in his personal collection would want to make an investment in computer based audio
It’s like someone choosing to buy frozen vegetables despite having own backyard garden.
Playing and storing this number of CDs is still a hassle though not as much as vinyls and cassettes.
By ripping you will a backup of your collection which in time will get lost, stolen, gifted, borrowed and damaged.
Last but not least it is our human nature that we like to be seen always doing something with what we love. :)

Playing and storing this number of CDs is still a hassle though not as much as vinyls and cassettes.
By ripping you will a backup of your collection which in time will get lost, stolen, gifted, borrowed and damaged.
Last but not least it is our human nature that we like to be seen always doing something with what we love. :)
Agree with your last line completely. Many times I’ve felt that we spend more time with our equipment doing everything but actually listening to music. Anyway don’t want to derail the thread. :)

Absolutely. It would work as a stand-alone device. And it is MQA capable (decoder + renderer). It would sound quite good too!

@hyrdra thanks. The Element M is my back up option. The other option is to get a Gustard X16 (which I can get for about Rs. 45-50k) and a Streamer that can do MQA (I have my reasons and they have nothing to do with the quality of the sound on MQA), DSD512, and preferably can connect to the X16 via the I2S (LVDS) port (leaving the USB port free for my laptop).

I have considered building a streamer (that DIY itch still lives) using a USBbridge Signature and a Pi2AES (which will give me I2S) but I believe that the I2S output on the Pi2AES is limited to 192/24 (thanks to the WM8804/5 which is also what the DigiOne Signature uses). The USBridge is capable of DSD512 via its own USB "CLEAN" out and supports 384k on its GPIO.

Do you know of any MQA complaint streamer under say Rs. 1L that can output DSD512 via I2S?

@Bloom@83 You are already aware of my experience with "shellac". :eek:
To be honest there are 3 reasons for me to consider streaming.
1. I would like to investigate Tidal / Qobuz anyway so adding a USB hard disk option is just one more "stream"
2. Getting my fat, lazy, butt off my armchair is getting more and more tiring as I get older. Besides, I already have all these CD ripped to Harddisk (EAC) with carefully chose album art too.
3. Because I can, it's fun to do new stuff. Just the intellectual challenge of ripping, streaming, learning about MQA and DSD and Volumio and Moode and Max2Play, LVDS, etc... is what keeps my mind active. I worry if I stop learning new stuff I'll die (of boredom), or at least get Alzheimer's. I know I am not the sharpest knife in the deck but I want to at least be relevant when listening to the under 50 bunch of audiophiles and follow what they are talking about.

I found one more thread on this topic that is pretty informative.

@rsjaurr Once I get this streamer/DAC thing licked, I hope to keep the silver disks as backup and use the hard disk as my primary source.

I don't know much about audio, especially not computer-based audio (streamers and servers etc.) so I am here to learn. Building or buying is incidental.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back