Can the Xbox One S (2017) play 4k remux off my HDD locally?

knackinblaze

I know that a similar thread has been posted here but in the other thread the op ended up buying the nvidia shield which I cannot due to its extremely high price, so high that the Apple TV is cheaper. I just want to confirm whether the Xbox One S (not the Series S) can play 4k media from local drive at native 4k resolution, as I saw a thread claiming that the One S only has native 4k support for streaming apps such as prime video, netflix or youtube, but plays at 1080p on apps like Kodi or VLC or Windows media player.
If no, I'd like someone to recommend something like the Nvidia shield just without the gaming stuff, or any other solution that can just let me plug and play 4k media from my HDD.

Hi,

I am currently using a Shield TV doubling as plex server playing movies out a usb hdd.

This setup has its issues but gets the job done for the time being

The plan is to move to a dedicated media player like Zidoo in the future.

Thanks,

I know that a similar thread has been posted here but in the other thread the op ended up buying the nvidia shield which I cannot due to its extremely high price, so high that the Apple TV is cheaper. I just want to confirm whether the Xbox One S (not the Series S) can play 4k media from local drive at native 4k resolution, as I saw a thread claiming that the One S only has native 4k support for streaming apps such as prime video, netflix or youtube, but plays at 1080p on apps like Kodi or VLC or Windows media player.
If no, I'd like someone to recommend something like the Nvidia shield just without the gaming stuff, or any other solution that can just let me plug and play 4k media from my HDD.
If streaming is not a requirement, then libreelec and coreelec work great. You can look up on their forums to see which devices are supported and what formats they can play.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back