10 Biggest Lies in Audio

I just came across this. How about measuring the effects and changes???

For those who have Nordost speaker cable. IF you accidentally kink them:take the thick part of a beer bottle and run it with a little pressure lengthwise. Perfect, kink free again. A nice dark ale is recommended.
Every now and then someone steps on mine. I freak out momentarily, take a swig, do the above procedure,voila! good as new

murali

(square_wave... we were treated to a demo of Acoustic Portrait equipment, too, at the Chennai meet. Beautiful sound. I'd love to try horn speakers, too. Heck, I'd love to have a room I could try them in :))

Yup...they make some great gear. The gear on demo at Chennai was crying for better speakers though. Capn's speakers although great for the money ( they sound as good as ones costing twice the money branded), the new AP gear is in a different league.

You ought to come to bangalore for a complete AP gear demo. While you are at it, you can hear the Blumenhofers at Jochen's place too.

I don't agree with a few points -

Golden Ear exists. It just needs to be created and any individual can have it. Just requires some guidance or information to hear the fading echo, harmonics etc which a person with a trained hearing or golden ear starts hearing as the room characteristics where the album was recorded or the placing of various instruments (soundstage). Similarly a lot of other things can also be heard once the ears and brain know what to hear.

Wires have to be of good enough quality to prevent interference from nearby sources of EMF. I have found that most of the inexpensive cables have very poor shielding. After a certain quality is reached, I don't advice spending further on cables.

The point with which I strongly agree -

Painting or cleaning the disc or even colouring the surface of discs black or green makes no difference.

I have no idea about the 'feedback' lie. I'll have to read it up and understand it.

We did this one before, i think, but a long, long thread never got further than "Lie number 1."

Maybe this time we could discuss at least one of the other "lies" in the article.
shivam said:
Golden Ear exists. It just needs to be created and any individual can have it. Just requires some guidance or information to hear the fading echo, harmonics etc which a person with a trained hearing or golden ear starts hearing as the room characteristics where the album was recorded or the placing of various instruments (soundstage). Similarly a lot of other things can also be heard once the ears and brain know what to hear.
Doesn't the article say much the same thing?
This is the catchall lie that should perhaps go to the head of the list as No. 1 but will also do nicely as a wrap-up. The Golden Ears want you to believe that their hearing is so keen, so exquisite, that they can hear tiny nuances of reproduced sound too elusive for the rest of us. Absolutely not true. Anyone without actual hearing impairment can hear what they hear, but only those with training and experience know what to make of it, how to interpret it.

Whilst I agree in principle about The Power Conditioner Lie (and, by extension, no pun intended, the Mains Cable Lie),
Just about all that needs to be said on this subject has been said by Bryston in their owners manuals: All Bryston amplifiers contain high-quality, dedicated circuitry in the power supplies to reject RF, line spikes
and other power-line problems. Bryston power amplifiers do not require specialized power line conditioners. Plug the amplifier directly into its own wall socket.

What they dont say is that the same is true, more or less, of all well-designed amplifiers.
What they also don't say is that this is written about countries which, although nowhere is immune to spikes and brownouts, generally stick to 110/220 volts. Ours does not even pretend to, and I see no harm in protecting electronics from its wide variations, some of which might be enough to outwit the engineers' power supply designs.

Last edited:
Yes, mentioned in my post too: mods might like to merge. but please don't let us get permanently tied up by cables again! :lol:

This will go into another loop like other similar threads without making us any wiser. Sorry for sounding cynical but we've been through this and done that plenty of times.:eek:

No doubt.

But there is benefit from such loops, even if it is only in following links given, and surfing journeys that bring new knowledge or understanding.

Bought neck deep gears, not a single penny to spare :) not a little place left in HT room or living room. So what,
Will discuss on Analogue vs digital, Vinyl vs CD, Hi-Fi cable vs low-fi cable etc...

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you.
There isn't any other test.
If the machine produces tranquility,
it's right.
If it disturbs you,
it's wrong
until
either the machine
or
your mind is changed.
"

--- Robert M Pirsig

Here are the lyrics of the final song ECLIPSE from the Pink Floyd album
-The Dark Side of the Moon

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come

and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

The final words sung on the song and, indeed the album The Dark Side of the Moon directs the listener,
"and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."
Roger Waters explained the meaning of these words as well as the entire song by asserting,

"I don't see it as a riddle. The album uses the sun and the moon as symbols; the light and the dark; the good and the bad; the life force as opposed to the death force.
I think it's a very simple statement saying that all the good things life can offer are there for us to grasp, but that the influence of some dark force in our natures prevents us from seizing them.
The song addresses the listener and says that if you, the listener, are affected by that force, and if that force is a worry to you, well I feel exactly the same too.
The line 'I'll see you on the dark side of the moon' is me speaking to the listener, saying, 'I know you have these bad feelings and impulses because I do too, and one of the ways I can make direct contact with you is to share with you the fact that I feel bad sometimes.
"

(all thats been taken from here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(Pink_Floyd_song)
http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/eclipse-dark-lyrics.html)

The Pink Floyd stuff is intended to be read in the wake of Pirsig's quote above.
Need one say more?
I guess not. . . .

(In case anyone strongly feels so, I'd request him/her to read my signature.

Thats Pirsig's creation, Phaedrus, being spoken to
pretty much like Mickey Mouse was Walt Disney's, LOL)

Cheers, ALL

PS
@ FM arj
I love the two quotes in your signature especially so because the former author refers more to physics, while the latter one deals more with metaphysics, so to speak. Way to go, Dude.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back