1080p Over Component

micjak77

Hi All,

My questions is will component cable pass 1080p content. I have researched through the net and there is a plethora of information, but still not conclusive enough. I am booked Hitachi PJ TX 100, a 720p model which doesnt have have HDMI but has DVI. I am very keen to go with component but have fears about later when I want to go blu-ray. If the cabling will need to be changed. I am doing a wooden laminate in my theatre so go to lay the cable now.

what are the thoughts of experts here.

Micjak, theoretically and technically, a component cable can carry 1080p signals. Unfortunately most manufacturers use only HDMI to scale and carry 1080p. You will not find any product that carries signals beyond 1080i through component.

BTW, a DVI can carry 1080p. So the easiest for you to do is to buy a HDMI to DVI convertor and use that to transmit 1080p signals to your projector. But in any case, your projector is capable of 720P, so that can be carried over component cable.

Cheers

Micjak, theoretically and technically, a component cable can carry 1080p signals. Unfortunately most manufacturers use only HDMI to scale and carry 1080p. You will not find any product that carries signals beyond 1080i through component.

BTW, a DVI can carry 1080p. So the easiest for you to do is to buy a HDMI to DVI convertor and use that to transmit 1080p signals to your projector. But in any case, your projector is capable of 720P, so that can be carried over component cable.

Cheers

Hi Venkat, one more question so if at later stage I go high def via Blu Ray. The signal will be downcoverted into 720p right. But will that happen over component or HDMI/ DVI. I would just like to know if my component cables will give me the highest PQ that is 720p over component. so that I dont have to dig into my wooden laminate floor as long as I posses this PJ. Thanks.

Hey Venkat,

PS3 should play 1080p over a component as far as I know. But not sure how good the upscaling and/or coverting would be for movies when compared to a standard dvd plaer like you tlel - OPPO etc. They should be in a entirely different league. PS3 though is for gaming. My two cents.:)

Hey Venkat,

PS3 should play 1080p over a component as far as I know. But not sure how good the upscaling and/or coverting would be for movies when compared to a standard dvd plaer like you tlel - OPPO etc. They should be in a entirely different league. PS3 though is for gaming. My two cents.:)

Anooj, I thought PS3 being a Sony product will not carry 1080p over component. Are you sure about this. I know for one that technically component is able to carry 1080p. But its the studios and corporates giants like sony who are pushing for HDMI since its got copy protection/ anti piracy meachnism which is done with somekind of digital handshake if I am not mistaken. Component is losing out not beacuse of its inheret nature but becoz Hollywood cant control it. Otherwise Component is an extremely robust system used worldwide for commercial broadcast and video apps.

Hi Venkat, one more question so if at later stage I go high def via Blu Ray. The signal will be downcoverted into 720p right. But will that happen over component or HDMI/ DVI. I would just like to know if my component cables will give me the highest PQ that is 720p over component. so that I dont have to dig into my wooden laminate floor as long as I posses this PJ. Thanks.

When you buy a Blu-Ray, set it's upscaling to a max of 720p. And that can be carried on your component connection. So no digging up of wooden laminates.

Cheers.

Hi micjak77,

I have seen the PS3's latest brochure in my neighbour's house just 4 days back. They clearly mention about a 'component cable' - not bundled but carries 1080p. Please check, I checked again. But mic, the cables that is bundled(a composite) and the siad component cable have to be from Sony's. The signal comes from a single port(donno what kind) and splits to normal RGB.

Please get back with details you get. Me and my neighbour are novices in this PS3 business but he connected HDMIfor video(sony bravia he bought with PS3 - S Series - KLV-40S400A ) and optical to audio(i think Denon 2307) and you see & hear - totally new revelation:cool:

By the way his Denon 2307 sound very good compared to my yamaha for 'music'. Movies I have not tested in my 663.:mad: Pondering over my steadfastness and buying a yamaha. i am abeginning to listen to a lot music lately.:)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back