12 volt good power supply

amit11

Hi friends,

I have a dac which takes input as 12v.
It's power supply, which is wall wart had gone bad... so i am using a normal one.

Then i started using router ups which provides 12v. It has a cleaner supply than then wall wart.

But i feel the router ups might be upping the voltage to 12v thru some inside circuit. It may not be having native 12v battery inside it.

So i am looking out for either 12v battery or 12v linear power supply but could not find much online...
I have allo Shanti linear power supply but it is 5v.

Hi Amit. Talk to Shaan (PeeCeeBee). He will be able to help you in making a great PSU. I have recently gotten three customized supplies made from Shaan for my DAC and I am very happy! Let me know if you need any details.

Hi Amit. Talk to Shaan (PeeCeeBee). He will be able to help you in making a great PSU. I have recently gotten three customized supplies made from Shaan for my DAC and I am very happy! Let me know if you need any details.
Thanks. The PSUs which you got made were they linear power supply ?

Hi Kartick,
I need an lpsu of 5v for the dirty side of digione signature. Can you guide in this regard ?
Thanks

Absolutely, i got three supplies made on order.
1. 12V, 2A for my main dac motherboard
2. 5V, 1.5A for my usb board (Waveio)
3. 4V, 1A for dirty side of Fifopi

I was told that dirty side of fifopi will not be sensitive to the quality of sound. However, i found the improvements well worth it!!

Contact shaan and he should be able to make it for you easily. I am only endorsing his supplies as i found it good but ymmv!

Absolutely, i got three supplies made on order.
1. 12V, 2A for my main dac motherboard
2. 5V, 1.5A for my usb board (Waveio)
3. 4V, 1A for dirty side of Fifopi

I was told that dirty side of fifopi will not be sensitive to the quality of sound. However, i found the improvements well worth it!!

Contact shaan and he should be able to make it for you easily. I am only endorsing his supplies as i found it good but ymmv!
Thanks for your prompt response. I think there is no way to start a conversation with Shaan .Any contact no.?

A picture of the same will be nice to see :)
Here are a few crude pictures to give you an idea. This is when I only originally got 2 supplies from him. Both supplies were powered using R-Core trafos. See picture 3 (where brown Miflex caps are used) to see his supplies. In the first picture, you may be seeing a slim LPSU next to the R-cores, this was my old supply for powering the dirty side of Fifopi. I now have that also changed to a supply I got made from Shaan.

Attachments

• IMG_7434.JPG
    IMG_7434.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7435.JPG
    IMG_7435.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7475.JPG
    IMG_7475.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 63
Since couple of days i was talking at shops for 12v SLA battery. They come in various sizes and AH.

Before purchasing them, i thought to build 12 v out of 8 pencil cells. I was finally able to do...
The sound from DAC was easy and relaxed. It may not be hifi-ish but for sure relaxed and having a bit more body. attaching pic.

Attachments

• 20210919_092610.jpg
    20210919_092610.jpg
    991.4 KB · Views: 39
Experimenting first with 8 pencil cells (for 12 volts)

Then with proper 12v battery attached to DAC.

Attachments

• 20210919_092610.jpg
    20210919_092610.jpg
    991.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210920_220932.jpg
    20210920_220932.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 28
Hi friends,

I have a dac which takes input as 12v.
It's power supply, which is wall wart had gone bad... so i am using a normal one.

Then i started using router ups which provides 12v. It has a cleaner supply than then wall wart.

But i feel the router ups might be upping the voltage to 12v thru some inside circuit. It may not be having native 12v battery inside it.

So i am looking out for either 12v battery or 12v linear power supply but could not find much online...
I have allo Shanti linear power supply but it is 5v.
UPS router has 3x18650 batteries inside and each one is charged to 4V. So it's a native 12V supply. There is a charge control board inside the unit as well. Let me check if I have the inside picture. I don't remember if I have taken the pic when I replaced the batteries inside.

Today i had visited the battery shop again, and he showed me another battery called as SMF battery. typically used in inverters. He told that if i am not using 12v battery for a vehicle, then better to use SMF battery (instead of SLA battery for vehicle, which I am currently testing)

My confusion is whether inverter battery (SMF battery) could have lesser noise and ripple compared to vehicle SLA battery? :rolleyes:

Automotive batteries are deep discharge type used to provide high starting current where as inverter batteries are slow discharge / charge type. How it will effect the sound, I am not sure though. It shouldn't impact much as both provide about 13.2V when fully charged.
SMF and SLA are essentially same. SMF is maintenance free and SLA needs regular check and topping distilled water.

UPS router has 3x18650 batteries inside and each one is charged to 4V. So it's a native 12V supply. There is a charge control board inside the unit as well. Let me check if I have the inside picture. I don't remember if I have taken the pic when I replaced the batteries inside.
Would be interested to know... it is interesting router UPS contains 18650 LiFePO4 batteries.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back