120V vs 240V - What to do?

jay

Hi,

Most of the Decks that are on sale in International Sites supports 120V whereas in India its 240V. Most of them don't have a changer also which gives u the option of choosing ur power supply as per your region.

In such a case does the step down thing works with these Decks?

What u all suggest?

buy a 110 to 220V adapter. Doesn't cost much, and tape decks don't draw much power (check the specs), and except some very special decks, frequency is not a problem.

buy a 110 to 220V adapter. Doesn't cost much, and tape decks don't draw much power (check the specs), and except some very special decks, frequency is not a problem.

So u mean to say that I can buy a Nak from USA which has a 120V Power supply and then can use the adapter to adapt to Indian power supply?

just check if it has a DC Motor (most of them do). Otherwise, you should be good.

But Transporting cassette decks is risky business. It's bad enough transporting within india. I wouldnt take a chance doing international.

And add to that freight charges. If you have friends abroad, then its easier :)

just check if it has a DC Motor (most of them do). Otherwise, you should be good.

But Transporting cassette decks is risky business. It's bad enough transporting within india. I wouldnt take a chance doing international.

And add to that freight charges. If you have friends abroad, then its easier :)

Yes u r correct. Transporting is a big risk I guess.

Just go to your nearby chinese toy store and buy a Rs.50/- 220v to 110v converter, and you'll be ready to rock n' roll with an American cassette deck import.

However shipping and customs duty will evaporate your wallet.

The german ebay site is the best for shipping to India (moderate shipping costs) and the currency used is usually Euro (again cost effective). Also the equipment runs on 220volts. Average shipping costs to India will be between 90 and 120 euro based for a regular cassette deck. Then there's customs duty, ideally around 30%.

Here are some examples of cassette decks. Check with seller on shipping costs to India irrespective of whether they list local, Eurpoean or Worldwide shipping. Many do not list worldwide shipping but will ship if requested.

cassette deck | eBay

Last edited:
Just go to your nearby chinese toy store and buy a Rs.50/- 220v to 110v converter, and you'll be ready to rock n' roll with an American cassette deck import.

The german ebay site is the best for shipping to India (moderate shipping costs) and the currency used is usually Euro (again cost effective). Also the equipment runs on 220volts. Average shipping costs to India will be between 90 and 120 euro based for a regular cassette deck. Then there's customs duty, ideally around 30%.

Here are some examples of cassette decks. Check with seller on shipping costs to India irrespective of whether they list local, Eurpoean or Worldwide shipping. Many do not list worldwide shipping but will ship if requested.

cassette deck | eBay

Does customs charge that kind of money? Even if its decalred as gift item.
I have brought Vinyls in the past from abroad through ebay but never paid any customs.

cassette deck | eBay

Was going through ur link.Some of those look really tempting but am a bit sceptical about the shipping.Not sure in what condition will it arrive once its shipped and the way the courier people handles it. Seems whatever is store for me to get locally I have to be content with it.

Really confused now!!

Does customs charge that kind of money? Even if its decalred as gift item.
I have brought Vinyls in the past from abroad through ebay but never paid any customs.

yes, from the customs point of view, there is no such thing as a gift. vinyl discs are not considered electronics.

yes, from the customs point of view, there is no such thing as a gift. vinyl discs are not considered electronics.

Ok.
So does the courier who brings the stuff charges me on behalf of customs or I need to pay directly to customs?

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Considering the trouble I need to go through,I have dropped the idea now buying through eBay.

The 220v/110v conversion has been discussed many times in this forum. My advice is don't go for a "converter". You should ask for a 220v/110v step down transformer. Be conservative in the ratings of the power supply required. If the unit requires 50 watts, then go for atleast 100 watts step down transformer. MX brand step down transformers with various ratings are available in most cities

A lot of old components had a built in converter and all that was required was to plug the connecting wire to the corresponding voltage on the circuit board. This can be checked on opening the cover of the component and looking at the power supply part or by checking the service manual.

(I won't comment on the obvious switch found on the back plate of some components which I am sure you might have looked)

The 220v/110v conversion has been discussed many times in this forum. My advice is don't go for a "converter". You should ask for a 220v/110v step down transformer. Be conservative in the ratings of the power supply required. If the unit requires 50 watts, then go for atleast 100 watts step down transformer. MX brand step down transformers with various ratings are available in most cities

Thanks mate

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back