16/44.1 and 24/96 flac - equalisation difference ?

Shivam

I recently got an offer for free 16/44.1 flac download from a site from where i regularly buy higher quality flac files. I thought of experimenting and bought 16/44.1 version of some files that I already had in 24/96. The files from the same album, mastering and with even the same release date.

I was expecting slightly lesser quality and wanted these files to act as demo files when showing the difference between cd quality and higher quality files.

However to my surprise, the cd quality 16/44.1 flac files have a seemingly different equalisation. The low frequencies and the high frequencies are more pronounced and the files play at a louder volume level (something which another member noticed with SACD too). With SACD I didn't have this difference but with high definition flac this is present.

Does this mean that similar to RIAA of the analogue world, in digital world too some kind of specific filter or equalisation is needed in DAC ?

Yes the higher bit rate files have a lower volume level. I have noticed it too.

Apart from loudness have you noticed any difference in the levels of low frequencies and high frequencies ?
Compared to 24/96, the 16/44.1 files felt like being played with the graphic equalizer set in the famous 'hammock' like configuration.

I buy from - HDTracks, Linn Records, B&W Society of Sound, 2L
There are many other stores too but these four have the musics that I like.

HD Tracks says it sells only in US, How do you manage to purchase from here.

HD Tracks says it sells only in US, How do you manage to purchase from here.

I was able to download the music using their download manager in a couple of European countries and obviously in US. I have never tried downloading in India due to the pathetic internet speed.

Sometimes I let one of my friends in Texas download the files and then send them to me on DVD.

I find 16/44 tracks from Linn Records sound extremely good. Even the CDs I burn for car listening sound very airy and detailed. With commerical CDs I find some which are produced very well (The Best of Pink Floyd, Lionel Richie Tuskgee are recent examples) and some are horribly produced.

What you are experiencing is the result of Loudness war in CDs.

You can change the track loudness, however you can never reverse the companding done on the track.

Its got nothing to do with CD and SACD formats ...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back