1st Stereo setup for around ₹50000

UPDATE:

I went to HiFi Mart demo room and auditioned Wharfedale Diamond 225 with a Marantz receiver.
It was underwhelming for me. Was too bright and I thought it would induce fatigue on listening longer. Found the bass to be low. But at the same time I did enjoy the clarity it offered, especially while listening to a few tracks from Buena Vista Social Club.
@MaSh I wanted to try Yamaha or Onkyo as you suggested but it wasn't available. I'm sure, Anil bhai has them but I thought that I'll be visiting a shop and I could get any equipment plugged in or out. But it is a demo room where the proprietor gets the equipment you want to audition and keeps it all ready and set up before you arrive.

There was a pair of Castle Knight 2 Bookshelves and I really liked them. But they are pretty expensive so I won't be able to buy them.

Till now, I have liked the Dali & Marantz combination.

Going to audition Polk SP15 & SP20 with Marantz PM5005 on Tuesday at The Revolver Club.

Shall update you all on how I found them.

Thank you!

Great. You cannot go wrong with marantz and Dali combo. Amazing speakers the Dali zensor 3 are. You can try them with nad amp too.

MaSh

Great. You cannot go wrong with marantz and Dali combo. Amazing speakers the Dali zensor 3 are. You can try them with nad amp too.

MaSh
I want to buy Zensor 1. No budget for Zensor 3 or NAD.
I feel Zensor 1 is good enough for my tiny Bombay room.

UPDATE:

I went to The Revolver Club and auditioned Polk S-20 with Marantz PM5005 (finally got to audition the amp that I want).
The combination sounded impressive! I thought it was a really revealing system. Sounded uncoloured. I could feel the difference in the recording and the technological advances being amplified when compared a Led Zeppelin or a Queen song against say, an RHCP or a Jack White song. I feel this combination can do wonders when you use a good source. Might choose this combination as I’m planning to get into vinyls.

Then I went to MZ Audio Distributers to check out Q Acoustics 3010i with PM5005. Found the combination underwhelming. Lacked the punch in the low end. It improved only when I turned on the ‘Loudness’ feature on the amp. Wanted to try 3020i but they didn’t have them.

By this time I’ve forgotten how my initial crush, Dali Zensor 1 sounded. I remember being blown over by Dali + Marantz combo. Also remember the combination to sound pretty warm. Shall go audition again.

So I’m now sold on PM5005 but confused between Dali Zensor 1 and Polk S-20.

But by now I feel good and confident that I’ll find a system I like. This entire process of reading up on speakers and electronics has been pretty enlightening and I thank all of you who gave me advice.

I’ll buy the stereo system in mid January and a turn table soon after and shall update on my choice.

Thanks a ton guys!
Cheers!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I went to The Revolver Club and auditioned Polk SP-20 with Marantz PM5005 (finally got to audition the amp that I want).
The combination sounded impressive! I thought it was a really revealing system. Sounded uncoloured. I could feel the difference in the recording and the technological advances being amplified when compared a Led Zeppelin or a Queen song against say, an RHCP or a Jack White song. I feel this combination can do wonders when you use a good source. Might choose this combination as I’m planning to get into vinyls.

Then I went to MZ Audio Distributers to check out Q Acoustics 3010i with PM5005. Found the combination underwhelming. Lacked the punch in the low end. It improved only when I turned on the ‘Loudness’ feature on the amp. Wanted to try 3020i but they didn’t have them.

By this time I’ve forgotten how my initial crush, Dali Zensor 1 sounded. I remember being blown over by Dali + Marantz combo. Also remember the combination to sound pretty warm. Shall go audition again.

So I’m now sold on PM5005 but confused between Dali Zensor 1 and Polk SP-20.

But by now I feel good and confident that I’ll find a system I like. This entire process of reading up on speakers and electronics has been pretty enlightening and I thank all of you who gave me advice.

I’ll buy the stereo system in mid January and a turn table soon after and shall update on my choice.

Thanks a ton guys!

Cheers!
It is polk S20 (signature series) if I'm not mistaken. Or is sp a new series?

Did you finalize the combination?

More or less decided that I want Marantz PM5005 with Dali Zensor 1. But I also loved the way Castle Knight 2 speakers sounded. But I’ll have to spend ₹12000 more for them than Zensor 1 though. Maybe I might upgrade to Castle a bit later when I get some lucrative projects but for now, invest that money in getting a turn table right after the speakers get burned in (Dali recommends 100 hours)

As of now, I’m waiting for painting work to finish at my home so I can finally get my first stereo setup!

UPDATE

Yesterday, I finally bought Marantz PM5005 and Dali Zensor 1.
The combination sounds amazing to my ears. Spent the whole night listening to music. Discovered so many new sounds that I earlier didn't with my Harman Kardon Soundsticks. I'm really happy with my purchase.

The speakers are a little bright when I select 'Source Direct' on my amp. I believe they would sound warmer when burned in.

Thank you everyone on this forum who cleared my doubts and addressed my queries and shared their experiences. Even got to know a lot by browsing through the earlier threads.

Really stoked about my first hi-fi purchase and can't wait to rediscover my favourite albums and new music!

Cheers!

UPDATE

Yesterday, I finally bought Marantz PM5005 and Dali Zensor 1.
The combination sounds amazing to my ears. Spent the whole night listening to music. Discovered so many new sounds that I earlier didn't with my Harman Kardon Soundsticks. I'm really happy with my purchase.

The speakers are a little bright when I select 'Source Direct' on my amp. I believe they would sound warmer when burned in.

Thank you everyone on this forum who cleared my doubts and addressed my queries and shared their experiences. Even got to know a lot by browsing through the earlier threads.

Really stoked about my first hi-fi purchase and can't wait to rediscover my favourite albums and new music!

Cheers!
Hi Saketgyani. Congratulation on you new system. I am using one model up of your combination i.e, PM6006 + Zensor 3. Excellent matching of both. From what I noticed when I bought Zensor 3 is that they sounded bright out of the box. But became very smooth after burn-in.

Hi Saketgyani. Congratulation on you new system. I am using one model up of your combination i.e, PM6006 + Zensor 3. Excellent matching of both. From what I noticed when I bought Zensor 3 is that they sounded bright out of the box. But became very smooth after burn-in.

Hey!
Nice setup you’ve got there!

I was getting a good deal on Zensor 3 and was tempted to buy them but didn’t, as I have a typical Bombay matchbox small room. I think it was a right choice to go with Zensor 1 as they are capable enough to fill my room with great sound!

I also felt the speakers to be bright out of the box.
They are burning in pretty well and I can already experience the highs rolling off pretty smoothly and the sound slowly getting warmer.
I usually choose the ‘Source Direct’ mode on the amp while listening to jazz and blues but get tempted to turn the ‘Loudness’ mode on whenever I listen to rock n roll and grunge.
Also watched two movies after getting the stereo setup and I’m just amazed at the way it sounds!

Cheers man and have a good time listening to music! :)

Hey!
Nice setup you’ve got there!

I was getting a good deal on Zensor 3 and was tempted to buy them but didn’t, as I have a typical Bombay matchbox small room. I think it was a right choice to go with Zensor 1 as they are capable enough to fill my room with great sound!

I also felt the speakers to be bright out of the box.
They are burning in pretty well and I can already experience the highs rolling off pretty smoothly and the sound slowly getting warmer.
I usually choose the ‘Source Direct’ mode on the amp while listening to jazz and blues but get tempted to turn the ‘Loudness’ mode on whenever I listen to rock n roll and grunge.
Also watched two movies after getting the stereo setup and I’m just amazed at the way it sounds!

Cheers man and have a good time listening to music! :)
If you have small room then Zensor 1s are perfect. After buying Zensor 3s, I noticed that they require large room to sound right because 7 inches is pretty large size for a bookshelf speaker.
What was the deal you were getting on Zensor 3??

Put up a picture
Apologies for the delay.
Here are the pictures of my stereo.
Need to do something for the ugly cables.

Attachments

• BE7972D0-7711-4D1F-A5C6-82C870D62273.jpeg
    BE7972D0-7711-4D1F-A5C6-82C870D62273.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 150
  • FC103C0D-8145-4971-9A67-2BF971D6091D.jpeg
    FC103C0D-8145-4971-9A67-2BF971D6091D.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 15CA0274-FAFC-4B3F-B2DF-5F481050DC31.jpeg
    15CA0274-FAFC-4B3F-B2DF-5F481050DC31.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 149
Is that a block of wood on which you have placed the Dali's on?
It’s a Yoga block made out of cork.
Just to raise the height.
Don’t know about the isolation and all.
Not experienced in that zone yet.
I'll buy speaker stands when I buy a turn table and shift the bench elsewhere.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back