2.0 suggestions -> on the way to 3.1 (5.1 very very long term)

noob_audiophile

Hey, I just reached this forum today. Nice to know we have our own audiophile group :)

About me:
I am just starting out on the audiophile journey -> a noob by all means. I own a pair of JBL 305 mkII back where I work and absolutely love them. Now that I am home for a while, was thinking of starting up the setup at home one by one.

Budget : max 50k as I recently bought a PS5 (want to increase the quality of gaming and movies)
Usages : movies, games, music (in that order -> I listen to music usually on my Beyerdynamic DT770pro or Sony WH-1000XM3 when I am working).

As the budget is restrictive and the prices of avr's are obnoxiously high right now, was considering just buying two JBL 306 and hook them up using a DAC like so (I understand they are studio monitors but I actually like the flat profile -> movies can be a bit quiet but meh). And plan to add a matching subwoofer or a really good subwoofer for those nice lows maybe a few months down the line. I understand that this setup can get a bit tricky when people are not sitting in the optimal listening position (as is expected when you use studio monitors). So here are my questions,

1. Is this setup feasible as a start to eventually reach a nice sounding HT?
i. If yes, what would be the logical next additions (starting from just the pair of 306s)
ii. If I end needing to add a center and thus avr, can I connect the 306s directly to the avr?
ii.i. If no, is a tricky setup to get them to work together nicely?
2. If this is too tricky or cumbersome, do you guys suggest any alternative starting options (I am perfectly fine starting with even 2.0/2.1 -> none of my family members are audiophiles so that lacking bass would not be an issue to them in case I start with 2.0)

Some additional info, my living room is roughly 300 sq ft. -> open on one side (That may be an issue, but I guess where I place them would matter more on which speakers I pick for this?)

Thanks in advance guys :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

Regarding your queries:

1.1 Yes. If you get a decent 5.1 AVR.

1.2 Yes and No. Yes, technically, if you have a receiver with a pre-out. If I am right, no entry level receiver have them. And No because I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Why try to connect an active speaker to an avr. I understand that you want to use them. But may be other learned FMs can pitch in to help you find a way.

1.2.1 Very very tricky. I believe you will need a convertor and stuff. :rolleyes:

2. Oh yes. Now we are talking. But 300 sq.ft is a decent sized room. I will suggest getting a pair of good bookshelf speakers. But an AVR and speakers under 50k is tough unless you go through the HTIB route. I would not recommend that.

Is the budget flexible?

Last edited:
@Silencer how flexible would it need to be?
What would be a decent budget given the constraints?

The alternative I thought of was to buy denon 550 with micas, should all come within 55k?

@Silencer Another update, we actually will be converting the 300 sqft room to two 150ish sqft rooms, so actual size to consider maybe 160ish

Hello Noob_audiophile, welcome to the forum.

For your budget, you could purchase a Denon AVR-X250BT 5.1 channel AV Receiver (if it is still available) and pair it with something like the Missions LX-2 and later on add a center channel and a sub. This suggestion is purely to keep the cost at your budget. While the speakers are supposed to be good, the AVR is very basic.

My friend recently purchased a Denon X1500H which is a 7.2 receiver and paired it with his existing Bose speakers and his existing sub. I have heard this setup at his place and I thought that it was good.

If you are willing to go a bit over your budget, I would recommend this AVR (or AVR's in its range) as it plays sufficiently well in his 20 x 20 room. But please note that this AVR does not have pre-outs and thus you will not be able to add powered speakers or a power amp to it.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back