2.1 set up help!

Hifinoob

Let me try to be specific as possible. I have the focal 806 bookshelves. With a small 75w Phillip sub. Not much but it works. And a cheap Sony STR-DG510 receiver. Pushing 90w a Chanel. While listening to music I am able to get the sub and the L/R to sound. Able to get great sound from the focal 806. When I go to watch a Netflix show or movie have try what I believe most settings on the receiver and not able to get the sub to sound just L/R. Any way you guys know of getting the subwoofer to come in while watching movies on a 2.1 set up? New here. Thanks for any help.

On the front panel of the receiver, there will be a few symbols that indicate what speakers are active. Like square boxes. A square box with a SW symbol will come up over a Box with a L in it, which is the Left speaker. Check if that lights up.

Turn off the Power Save function behind the sub woofer, if there is one. Keep it at Always ON (Not Auto Stand By)

I suspect your TV isn't sending a 5.1 channel feed to the Sony which results in no pre out feed to the sub woofer. That parameter will need to be defined in the TV's audio output setting. Dolby Digital pass through or something similar in naming convention.

Is the Philips an Active or Passive sub woofer?

On the front panel of the receiver, there will be a few symbols that indicate what speakers are active. Like square boxes. A square box with a SW symbol will come up over a Box with a L in it, which is the Left speaker. Check if that lights up.

Turn off the Power Save function behind the sub woofer, if there is one. Keep it at Always ON (Not Auto Stand By)

I suspect your TV isn't sending a 5.1 channel feed to the Sony which results in no pre out feed to the sub woofer. That parameter will need to be defined in the TV's audio output setting. Dolby Digital pass through or something similar in naming convention.

the receiver will automatically go to a 5.1 set up and when it does all boxed show up SW,L,R,SL,SR.. now wen I switch to a 2 channel on the receiver the screen on the receiver only shows L and R on boxes.

The only setting behind the sub is 0 phase or 180 and it’s set to 0. On the front the sun only has power knob.

Well that’s the thing I am not trying to go 5.1 I’m trying to go 2.1. Let’s say if I go to YouTube on the TV and I try to listlen to some music it will play just fine as in I will get L,R,SW all lit up in boxes. The issue is when I try to do the same while watching a movie it wont let me use the SW on the 2 channel. Idk think the receiver is just not capable of doing that?

Not sure what you mean by passive or active subwoofer. It’s wired directly to receiver via RCA.

Just reread the message will check if the tv does have Dolby digital like you said see if that makes a diff. Thanks

the receiver will automatically go to a 5.1 set up and when it does all boxed show up SW,L,R,SL,SR.. now wen I switch to a 2 channel on the receiver the screen on the receiver only shows L and R on boxes.

The only setting behind the sub is 0 phase or 180 and it’s set to 0. On the front the sun only has power knob.

Well that’s the thing I am not trying to go 5.1 I’m trying to go 2.1. Let’s say if I go to YouTube on the TV and I try to listlen to some music it will play just fine as in I will get L,R,SW all lit up in boxes. The issue is when I try to do the same while watching a movie it wont let me use the SW on the 2 channel. Idk think the receiver is just not capable of doing that?

Not sure what you mean by passive or active subwoofer. It’s wired directly to receiver via RCA.
Active subwoofer means will have amplifier inside the subwoofer box , passive means will have only driver no amplifier inside the box ,

If your subwoofer is passive means AVR will not work , because AVR will send only Preout .

Active subwoofer means will have amplifier inside the subwoofer box , passive means will have only driver no amplifier inside the box ,

If your subwoofer is passive means AVR will not work , because AVR will send only Preout .
Got you. And it does have an amp inside the sub.

I switch to a 2 channel on the receiver the screen on the receiver only shows L and R on boxes.
In Marantz receivers, there are Stereo and Pure Direct modes. In Stereo mode, subwoofer is active. In Pure Direct mode, only the front LR speakers are active. The Sub is off.

Please check if similar options are available in your receiver and if so, set it to stereo.

So I check the tv the digital audio out, and it was set to auto. Wen put on Dolby D it goes to a 5.1 kind of set up making the L and R sound like they are missing a C speaker. But wen I switch to the other option on the tv digital audio out called PCM it fixed the issue now I have the L and R + SUB. Puts it on a 2.1 set up with the sub+L/R highlighted in squares on the receiver.
Thanks for the help.

Back