2.1 Setup for music - Series 2 :)

darkblack

Hi,
I had earlier posted in the htib section (my first post) of the same requirements. View it here.
I am in the process of setting up another room (Study) where, I would like to setup a HT system which will be exclusively for listening to music. Very small budget somewhere around Rs.15-22k. Needn't be too powerful or loud since the room is just 10ftx10ft. Tempted to buy one of those creative speakers, but I am sure there are better alternatives. Any suggestions from the gurus here? Just Want to get the best quality audio at that can be got for this price and hopefully with a spdif input

Upon reading the responses given by you guys, research and listening/auditioning I am drafting this post to hear your views.

I initially was not very happy with the suggestion given in my previous thread quoted above, suggesting me to go for a stereo amplifier and speaker setup , because I was under the impression that surrounds provide the best quality, until last weekend I walked into torvin for a demo.

There I auditioned a stereo amp + 2 satellite + woofer setup which clearly showed me what a 2.1 can do. The sound stage and the clarity of the music was amazing and was really impressed.

The torvin guy Mr.Siddiq gave me the following quote for the one I listened to

Torvin Palmfire II amp - 50Wx2CH - Rs.3000
Micromate speakers - 2900 each x 2nos = 5800
Torvin passive sub - 4700
Wall mal mounts 400 x 2 nos = 800
Total = 14350

Now, this amp did not have an output for the sub. It was just connected to the left channel. Is it right practice? or does it have to be bridged, like how it is done in car amps? one from the left and other from the right channel?

I researched in this forums and understood Torvin's are not the clearest or refined around.

This being the case....Here are my doubts :)

I auditioned the setup without a woofer, the satellite/wall speakers did not have any bass of their own. I cannot go for floor or bookshelves since I don't have space. So if I need wall mount satellites, I definitely need a woofer or is there better sounding satellites around which can perform well without a woofer?

None of the stereo amps he had , had optical inputs? I thought opticals were far superior to RCA when it comes to clarity and quality of input signal..isn't it the case?

For this price brand, can you guys suggest other better alternatives to torvin?

I see philips 5.1 HTIB with 200W RMS which is cheaper than the torvins...are they a good alternative? I couldn't find a demo with any dealer for these cheap model of philips HTIB.

Views of you guys will be much appreciated

Thanks a lot

Ps. The music is mostly Heavy Metal / Hip Hop / Rock Genre

Last edited:
darkblack, when you say the sub was connected to left channel, where was the front left connected?
If possible go for active sub itself.
Cant you manage a small bookshelf in your room? If so try, QA 1010i with Topping tp20. A sub at this price point will only serve to mess up the music!

Hi,
I saw the QA 1010i, it has wall mountable option too which is great. I have been reading about the topping tp20 also here. Any idea where can I get the 1010i and how much will it cost?

Thanks

Hi,
I saw the QA 1010i, it has wall mountable option too which is great. I have been reading about the topping tp20 also here. Any idea where can I get the 1010i and how much will it cost?

Thanks

I think this is available with Raghu of Decibel. His place is at Alwarpet.

I shot a mail to the babbler guys and they quickly replied with the pricing and asking me to contact delbels

Q Acoustics - 1010i - Rs.12,000 per pair
Q Acoustics - 1000WB - Rs.2,750 per pair.

Psychotropic, only reason I suggested qa1010 with Tp20 in my earlier post is because OP wants something compact. Else would have suggested CA S30.

I've set up a 2.1 system, few months back. Bose Acoustimass 3 for 15K + LG DVD Player with inbuilt amp for 4K. Amazing value for money - the sound is crisp and sufficiently loud.

You can plug the bose with a Norge amp which would range around 8-12K and improve sound quality, specifically loudness.

few active subs from norge/onkyo and another brand eluding me right now , all were at e zone for 3-6k. i d say, if u absolutely must have a sub, have one of these. these ppl know what they are making.

d A sub at this price point will only serve to mess up the music!

well guys, lemme make a statement,
whatever costs a bomb today will be cheaper to produce tomorrow, like lcds etc.
in some cases like pcs, prices remain constant but the specifications improve.
in most of the cases, cost of stuff going into an upmarket speaker wud not be too higher than that of a cheaper one.
just like the dress u wear... material costing wud mostly be similar to that of one designed by rohit bal.
that said , in some cases u might actually look better in that mass produced outfit.

Decided to bite the bullet, atleast with the amp.

Ordered the Norge 2060. Transferred the money to Mr.Shyam last week. Hopefully should get it by Wednesday - Thursday...

Price
Amp : 8770
remote: 1500
delivery : 600

My only gripe is , its white in color when my preferred color would of course be dark black :)

Thanks

Still waiting for the amp :( Mr.Shyam has been quoting delays due to supplier parts not reaching on time. Expecting to get it by early next week

Still waiting for the amp :( Mr.Shyam has been quoting delays due to supplier parts not reaching on time. Expecting to get it by early next week

well, ask the man to powder-coat the amp - dark black - it takes only 2 days-

since he has delayed your shipment - he is duty-bound to listen to your request.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back