2.1 setup vs swans m200DSP / swans D1090 under 30k

prozkater

Hi,
I need your input on whether to go with a budget passive speakers + sub + amp vs swans m200DSP / D1090 for nearfield desktop listening only via youtube and spotify. I don't care about movies and games. Main use will be for casual listening at low - mid volumes. As such kindly suggest me a 2.1 setup under 30k or active speakers for the said purpose.

Equipment owned at the moment:
Topping D10s DAC
Quad Vena Integrated Amplifier paired with Mission QX-2 ( Can I connect this amp to Presonus Sub 8 / Mackie CR8S XBT subwoofers and pair it with Sony SSCS5 or other budget passive speakers, amp has sub pre-out ) if yes, also kindly suggest a cheap budget amp for replacement to be used with the Mission QX-2.

Regards

Hi,
I need your input on whether to go with a budget passive speakers + sub + amp vs swans m200DSP / D1090 for nearfield desktop listening only via youtube and spotify. I don't care about movies and games. Main use will be for casual listening at low - mid volumes. As such kindly suggest me a 2.1 setup under 30k or active speakers for the said purpose.

Equipment owned at the moment:
Topping D10s DAC
Quad Vena Integrated Amplifier paired with Mission QX-2 ( Can I connect this amp to Presonus Sub 8 / Mackie CR8S XBT subwoofers and pair it with Sony SSCS5 or other budget passive speakers, amp has sub pre-out ) if yes, also kindly suggest a cheap budget amp for replacement to be used with the Mission QX-2.

Regards
For 30K, I'd suggest getting a good pair of active studio monitors like the JBL 305p mkII or the Kali Audio LP6. Unless you're a bass head, and you need very deep bass, these should take good care of you. Between the two, I'd get the Kali Audio LP6. The only (possible) issue with it is that it is big, and may take up a lot of space on your desktop. If at some point you think you need more bass, you could add a subwoofer to the mix.

Your D10s should take care of source duty. Since these speakers are active, you don't need an amp. You'll need to control volume from your laptop (the speakers do have level knobs, but those are in the back, and it's best to set them once and use a separate master volume control. Your Quad Vena can also be used as a preamp, so that's an option for master volume control (and source) too.

Thanks for the input, however, I'm afraid I don't like the flat sounding nature of studio speakers. Active speakers I have shortlisted for now are the swans m200DSP / D1090 and edifier s2000mkiii. Problem is I don't know if I can add a subwoofer to these later if required.

I use the Edifier S1000DB and can tell you it has plenty of well balanced bass and I've never felt the absence of a subwoofer. I usually sit about 3-4 feet away from the speakers which are on a stand and listen to music (low-medium volume). The source is from an Asus Xonar DX audio card fitted in my music PC. I use JRiver MC for playing my music files. A few days ago I got a Khadas Tone Board and I'm yet to set that up and use it. Looking forward to that because I've heard and read good things about the KTB.

My friend has the Edifier S2000MKIII and has only good things to say about them so I think you won't go wrong with them. If you want a 2.1 system that sounds good you can look at the Edifier S350DB as well:

I had the swans m200mkii many years back, at the time I really was not impressed with the sound until I spent more for passive setups and got only a small marginal sound upgrade. Yes indeed I am considering edifier s2000mkiii as well but if I can get the swans D1090 for cheap, that would be my first preference if I go the active speakers route.

I had the swans m200mkii many years back, at the time I really was not impressed with the sound until I spent more for passive setups and got only a small marginal sound upgrade. Yes indeed I am considering edifier s2000mkiii as well but if I can get the swans D1090 for cheap, that would be my first preference if I go the active speakers route.

I think the S2000 will make you happier than the D1090. I have the D1010MKII since 2016 and quite frankly I find their sound underwhelming.

Or would you rather recommend I go with Q Acoustics 3020i and PSB Alpha S10 / Q Acoustics QB12 subwoofer? Subwoofer connected through my Quad Vena pre out, will the speakers still play all the frequencies along with the subwoofer or can I make the subwoofer handle the low end without letting the speakers play them. I am a total noob with these connections. Help pls

Or would you rather recommend I go with Q Acoustics 3020i and PSB Alpha S10 / Q Acoustics QB12 subwoofer? Subwoofer connected through my Quad Vena pre out, will the speakers still play all the frequencies along with the subwoofer or can I make the subwoofer handle the low end without letting the speakers play them. I am a total noob with these connections. Help pls

If you connect the speakers directly to the amp they will play full range. The sub will have a filter in the input to filter out higher frequencies. My suggestion would be to skip the sub and get the 3030i instead (assuming you are planning to buy the 3020i and don't already have them). Even when paired with a budget stereo amp like the PM5005, the 3030is can produce pretty deep bass.

If you connect the speakers directly to the amp they will play full range. The sub will have a filter in the input to filter out higher frequencies. My suggestion would be to skip the sub and get the 3030i instead (assuming you are planning to buy the 3020i and don't already have them). Even when paired with a budget stereo amp like the PM5005, the 3030is can produce pretty deep bass.
I went ahead with dali spektor 2. Planning to pair it with taga tws212se / bic f12 or / psb alpha s10 sub.

How do you find the sound comparing to the Missions? Are you satisfied now?
Item still in transit, hopefully will reach within this week, i tried mission qx2 with fx audio m160e cheap class d amp, and the speakers sound brighter now and is somewhat better for rock/metal music now. However it lacks much of the bass now as compared to quad vena

How do you find the sound comparing to the Missions? Are you satisfied now?
so, the speakers arrived today and..
I love the sound of the speakers straight out of the box
Pairs well with Quad Vena, sounds smooth
What surprised me the most was it paired even better with the very cheap fx audio m160e amp that I had bought for garage, the amp does not lack bass with these speakers unlike the mission qx2.
Using it with fx audio amp, however this one has no sub out and it kinda needs a sub, should have paid 1k more and went with the one with a sub out :c

these are definitely better than the mission qx2 btw and much more engaging in case you are wondering :D

What surprised me the most was it paired even better with the very cheap fx audio m160e amp that I had bought for garage, the amp does not lack bass with these speakers unlike the mission qx2.
Using it with fx audio amp, however this one has no sub out and it kinda needs a sub, should have paid 1k more and went with the one with a sub out :c

these are definitely better than the mission qx2 btw and much more engaging in case you are wondering :D
Happy for you... Thank you for sharing your experience.. The speakers will sound even better as it gets burnt in..
Happy listening..

@prozkater

Reg m200 dsp

Power adaptor is ac110v or ac220v?

u ordered from which Website?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back