2500 Rs Media Players. Anybody using them?

siddh

Hi,

One of my friend does not want to spend more on a media player as he will be upgrading to a latest hifi system in another 2 months. For the time being he wants to buy a player which are close to 2500-3000 range. How good are they? Anybody using them? Do they play all the files mentioned in their manual?

Regards
Sid.

Hi,

One of my friend does not want to spend more on a media player as he will be upgrading to a latest hifi system in another 2 months. For the time being he wants to buy a player which are close to 2500-3000 range. How good are they? Anybody using them? Do they play all the files mentioned in their manual?

Regards
Sid.

never heard of it ,available for 2.5k???

I have a Micca MPlay HD, which I asked my bro to get from the US at $50. Pretty much plays everything I throw at it, excepting for 5 odd files, which screws up in vlc too. This player has an Amlogic H326 chipset @ 400 MHz. Players using this chipset should be in the $50-$70 range.

Hi,

There one called the NBOX, I am using it and it plays great. Costs only Rs1800. But no HD, video is on component is RGB. So max resolution is 720P, still PQ looks great on 42" Plasma. Try it out. Plays almost all the formats.

cheers

Murali

My parents use an Amkette FlashTV with their 29" CRT for movies. I had bought it off eBay about 10 months back for 2400/- or so, if I remember right.

Amkette || Product Page

It plays most common formats -- you can see the specs in the link given above.

The interface is pretty fast -- it loads in an instant and the response to commands from the remote is quite snappy. The device takes very little time to load data from the 16GB USB drive my parents use. The device also supports external HDDs and SD/MMC cards. My parents haven't tried anything other than the 16GB USB drive, though.

The interface is not at all as slick as the WDTV I use. It does not support thumbnails and all it does is give a list of the folders (under Movie/Music/Image) on the screen that you can choose from.

The device does support subtitles (most formats) but the implementation is a bit clunky, with subtitles wrapping in an odd way. You can assign two font sizes to the subtitles -- normal and big.

PQ is just acceptable -- nothing to write home about.

The remote is reasonable sturdy (considering the price paid). It supports jumping to a particular point in time in the movie (which my WDTV does not support), which is a nice option. Otherwise, I find the remote functionality of my WDTV a lot better than the Amkette's.

The device itself is built quite well and has a nice black finish. It comes with the required wires for plugging in a YUV + audio (L+R) setup to a TV.

I'd suggest that your friend spend just a bit extra and get a WDTV (2nd Gen) and enjoy a much better interface, PQ and format compatibility. That said, the Amkette FlashTV is reasonable bang for the buck -- my parents are quite satisfied with it.

Currently, amkette media player seems to be the only one available at low budget category on ebay. It would be interesting to see how it performs on a 720P Plasma TV.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back