2nd Display in LG Smart TV

uppalpankil

The LG LM series Smart TVs have a 2nd display option, wherein you can stream content to a second device. I want to know whether the 2nd display will show the same content as on TV screen, or is it possible to watch two different programs on two different screens using the 2nd display function? If yes, how?

Hi uppalpankil, LG WRman Sherlock here,

The 2nd Display function in the LG World Record LM-series TVs will let you stream the same content on the TV to a second device. This function helps you to watch your favorite TV shows or programs continuously even when you need to visit different parts of the house for other chores. Check out how it works here: 2nd Display | TV on the go | LG Canada - YouTube

LG WRman Sherlock out!

@LGWRSherlock, It seems really nice feature. So we just need WIFI enabled device that can play the video in same WIFI network range to use second display function?

Yes, amit.nagar, as long as the TV and the other electronic gadget are connected to the same WiFi network and both are synced together, you can use the 2nd Display function and enjoy the content of the TV on that gadget anywhere in the house or even outdoor if the WiFi range can reach that far.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Yes, amit.nagar, as long as the TV and the other electronic gadget are connected to the same WiFi network and both are synced together, you can use the 2nd Display function and enjoy the content of the TV on that gadget anywhere in the house or even outdoor if the WiFi range can reach that far.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

So, is this 2nd display feature available in all LM series 3D TVs? Because, the youtube link is related to LG Canada..

The LG LM series Smart TVs have a 2nd display option, wherein you can stream content to a second device. I want to know whether the 2nd display will show the same content as on TV screen, or is it possible to watch two different programs on two different screens using the 2nd display function? If yes, how?

Is this LG 2nd display and Intel Wi-Di technology are same? Or is it also mandatory to have a 2nd display feature in other device in order to get an access of this feature?

So, is this 2nd display feature available in all LM series 3D TVs? Because, the youtube link is related to LG Canada..

Hi amit.nagar, the 2nd display feature is part of the Smart Share Plus package in our LG World Record LM-series TVs. The Youtube video from LG Canada is simply a demonstration of how to use it in real life. It doesn't mean that only the versions available in Canada have this capacity.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Is this LG 2nd display and Intel Wi-Di technology are same? Or is it also mandatory to have a 2nd display feature in other device in order to get an access of this feature?

Hi Ram Sahoo, the 2nd Display and WiDi features are quite different. With the 2nd Display, you can mirror the programs/videos being played on the TV screen on your laptop/tablet/smartphone screen. This is to provide a continuous viewing experience without disruption even when you have to do household chores or maybe want to watch your favorite shows on the balcony on a breezy summer night. The Widi feature does the complete opposite, which is to mirror or extend your laptop screen on the TV so that you can use the TV as a second monitor for your activities on the laptop. The condition to use the 2nd Display feature is the installation of the LG Magic Remote App on Honeycomb/Ice Cream based tablet/phone or iOS 4.1 within the same Wi-Fi range with the TV.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Hi Ram Sahoo, the 2nd Display and WiDi features are quite different. With the 2nd Display, you can mirror the programs/videos being played on the TV screen on your laptop/tablet/smartphone screen. This is to provide a continuous viewing experience without disruption even when you have to do household chores or maybe want to watch your favorite shows on the balcony on a breezy summer night. The Widi feature does the complete opposite, which is to mirror or extend your laptop screen on the TV so that you can use the TV as a second monitor for your activities on the laptop. The condition to use the 2nd Display feature is the installation of the LG Magic Remote App on Honeycomb/Ice Cream based tablet/phone or iOS 4.1 within the same Wi-Fi range with the TV.

LG WRman Sherlock out!
Thanks for such a decent explanation and this feature is extremely appealing. In fact, I like it more than the Wi-Di support because many times it happens we dont want to sit in front of TV because of some tiredness and all; but at the same time we dont want to miss our matches or other programs instead. I guess this feature will definitely enhance the user viewing interest or experience!
Nonetheless, I need to ask is it possible to run this feature through a normal broadband internet line or do we need some higher bandwidth internet connection for doing same?

Hi Friends,
I have 42 LM6690 LG 3D Smart TV. I have been trying to get the 2nd display feature on my iPad (iOS 5.1.1)and Sony Xperia SL and Neo DLNA supported Android smartphones (ICS) but to no avail. Can anybody please guide me through?
I have LG remote app installed on all these devices all including the tv are connected to same wifi network as well. Wifi screen share feature is turned on on the tv settings.
There is no option to enable the 2nd display via the TV GUI nor the remote app.
The user guide is mysteriously silent about the feature. Neither there is any working demo of it on net except for the Canada tv ad that world record Sherlock talks about.
Do we need widi for this to work? I had thought that widi is required for sharing/mirroring the device screen on tv and not to make tv content appear on mobile devices.Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Kayceesat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dear Friends,
I have 42 LM6690 LG 3D Smart TV. I have been trying to get the 2nd display feature on my iPad (iOS 5.1.1)and Sony Xperia SL and Neo DLNA supported Android smartphones (ICS) but to no avail. Can anybody please guide me through?
I have LG remote app installed on all these devices all including the tv are connected to same wifi network as well. Wifi screen share feature is turned on on the tv settings.
There is no option to enable the 2nd display via the TV GUI nor the remote app.
The user guide is mysteriously silent about the feature. Neither there is any working demo of it on net except for the Canada tv ad that world record Sherlock talks about.
Do we need widi for this to work? I had thought that widi is required for sharing/mirroring the device screen on tv and not to make tv content appear on mobile devices.Appreciate any help.

Hi kayceesat, if it's the first time that you use the 2nd Display function on the TV then it would take a little bit of time for the TV to recognize the other devices. You should try to fire up the screen share feature again, connect both the TV and your devices to the same Wifi network and wait for them to recognize each other. It might take a couple of try to get it done. After the first time the TV finds the devices, the next time it can automatically detects them faster. I hope that helps. If there's still any problem, tell me.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Hi LG WRSherlock,
No luck so far. If I launch the LG Remote app on the smartphone, it detects the TV immediately. But there is no option to view the content that appears on the TV through mobile. (No menu option that is even close to it).
Does the mobile need to support WiDi or Wifi direct? I hope not as that is required only for mobile screen mirroring on TV (per the TV user manual) whereas I am trying for the reverse.

All I can do with the remote app is control the pointer, access the list of apps installed on TV, control volume and text input (on certain screens).

I have another query on the preloaded Youtube app on the TV which I use with mobile. The pairing info (credentials) gets erased on each restart of the TV. Is this how it works normally or you see any problem here?

Thanks
Kayceesat

Hi kayceesat, if it's the first time that you use the 2nd Display function on the TV then it would take a little bit of time for the TV to recognize the other devices. You should try to fire up the screen share feature again, connect both the TV and your devices to the same Wifi network and wait for them to recognize each other. It might take a couple of try to get it done. After the first time the TV finds the devices, the next time it can automatically detects them faster. I hope that helps. If there's still any problem, tell me.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Hmm, it seems weird that the TV cannot detect your smartphone provided that all the conditions are met. Did you purchase the TV recently? You should update the firmware on your TV to the latest version. It might fix any potential existing problems. Then try pairing the two devices again. If the problem still persists, then you should call up an LG Customer Support Rep for a suggestion at: 1800-180-9999. If there's any fault with the TV, perhaps you can get it fixed if the warranty is still in effect. I hope things got sorted out soon!

LG WRman Shelrock out!

Got the response from LG customer care (India) over email that my model (42LM6690) does not support 2nd display feature! :sad:

When I launch the remote app, it detects the TV and immediately on the TV, at the bottom right corner, a box with title 'Pairing key' appears (without any key...all four segments blank). Then if I move the pointer on the TV a little through the magic motion remote or via remote app's touch pad, the box disappears from TV.

I guess it will be futile to explore this feature any further. However, I am curious to know which all LG models do have this feature.Probably it will help others who visit this thread.

Thanks
Kayceesat

Hmm, it seems weird that the TV cannot detect your smartphone provided that all the conditions are met. Did you purchase the TV recently? You should update the firmware on your TV to the latest version. It might fix any potential existing problems. Then try pairing the two devices again. If the problem still persists, then you should call up an LG Customer Support Rep for a suggestion at: 1800-180-9999. If there's any fault with the TV, perhaps you can get it fixed if the warranty is still in effect. I hope things got sorted out soon!

LG WRman Shelrock out!

Hey kayceesat, sorry to hear that :( The 2nd Display feature, as far as I know, is available in the LM7600, LM8600 and LM9600 models only at the moment.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

According to the LG website the GA6400 series has 2nd display as well, but I have not been able to get it to work. It was THE deciding factor of getting this tv.

55GA6450

LG SMARTSHARE FEATURES
Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) Yes
2nd Display Yes
DLNA Certified Yes

Here is the link to the site, just click on Tech Specs

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back