3 or 4 optical outs into 1 device?

Haren Asher

Hi!

I have a denon 1611, which has only 1 optical input.

Since I have an xbox, TV, Tata Sky Hd all having an optic out, all giving 5.1 signals based on source, i am unable to get each of the above signals to the amp due to its lone input.

Online, there is a cheap solution, a manual optic audio switcher, available off ebay @ Rs. 1500 - 2500. and an auto switcher thats available on glaobal easy buy, and amazon .com/ .uk/ for about Rs. 5k to 6k.

Does anyone in bangalore sell this or have anyone used this and can recommend a seller or make of this item.

links to the items mentioned above are here

NEW Dolby Digital Optical TOSlink Audio Selector Switch Switcher 4in 1out HDTV (Rs. 2037)

Amazon.com: Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3 Input Selector Switch Compatible with Fiber Optic Cables, HDTV, Blu-ray DVD player, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, XBOX360, PS3: Electronics

3X1 Optical Audio Toslink Bi-Directional Manual Switch | eBay

Auto switch boxes

Remote Control 4in x 2out Digital Optical Toslink Audio Selector Switch Switcher (Rs. 5931)

any ideas, suggestions, workarounds?

Hi!

I have a denon 1611, which has only 1 optical input.

Since I have an xbox, TV, Tata Sky Hd all having an optic out, all giving 5.1 signals based on source, i am unable to get each of the above signals to the amp due to its lone input.

Online, there is a cheap solution, a manual optic audio switcher, available off ebay @ Rs. 1500 - 2500. and an auto switcher thats available on glaobal easy buy, and amazon .com/ .uk/ for about Rs. 5k to 6k.

Does anyone in bangalore sell this or have anyone used this and can recommend a seller or make of this item.

links to the items mentioned above are here

NEW Dolby Digital Optical TOSlink Audio Selector Switch Switcher 4in 1out HDTV (Rs. 2037)

Amazon.com: Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3 Input Selector Switch Compatible with Fiber Optic Cables, HDTV, Blu-ray DVD player, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, XBOX360, PS3: Electronics

3X1 Optical Audio Toslink Bi-Directional Manual Switch | eBay

Auto switch boxes

Remote Control 4in x 2out Digital Optical Toslink Audio Selector Switch Switcher (Rs. 5931)

any ideas, suggestions, workarounds?

Use HDMI:

Xbox > AVR : HDMI (Audio/Video)
Tata Sky > AVR : HDMI (Audio/Video)
AVR > HDMI (Audio/Video)

Only if Tata Sky does not support audio over HDMI, then use the following:
Tata Sky STB > AVR : Optical Cable (Audio only)

Use HDMI:

Xbox > AVR : HDMI (Audio/Video)
Tata Sky > AVR : HDMI (Audio/Video)
AVR > HDMI (Audio/Video)

Only if Tata Sky does not support audio over HDMI, then use the following:
Tata Sky STB > AVR : Optical Cable (Audio only)

Hey! ..

my xbox is the old model without hdmi.
I have found that the tata sky hd PVR doesnt send dolby signals over hdmi for some reason. It only sends dolby signals through optic! ..

So my connections are at the moment

XBOX > AVR - component cable
Tata Sky > AVR - HDMI
AVR < TV - HDMI + Optic

the optic cable i have to now manually change to the xbox when i play games/ watch movies through xbox.

Is there a setting in the AVR i am missing? .. i checked to see if the setting on TV is correct, but it allows only PCM sound through the TV for external speakers setting.

Xbox setting is set to send Dolby Digital 5.1, but this obviously will work only thought optic and not through component.

so what am i missing? .. i dont know why avr is not receiving any dolby signals over hdmi..

any help in this regard is much appreciated!

Hey! ..

my xbox is the old model without hdmi.
I have found that the tata sky hd PVR doesnt send dolby signals over hdmi for some reason. It only sends dolby signals through optic! ..

So my connections are at the moment

XBOX > AVR - component cable
Tata Sky > AVR - HDMI
AVR < TV - HDMI + Optic

the optic cable i have to now manually change to the xbox when i play games/ watch movies through xbox.

Is there a setting in the AVR i am missing? .. i checked to see if the setting on TV is correct, but it allows only PCM sound through the TV for external speakers setting.

Xbox setting is set to send Dolby Digital 5.1, but this obviously will work only thought optic and not through component.

so what am i missing? .. i dont know why avr is not receiving any dolby signals over hdmi..

any help in this regard is much appreciated!

To receive 5.1 audio on the AVR, you need to use digital audio which can either be via HDMI, coax or optical. You have used the component video adapter which also uses stereo audio not digital. This is what you need to do:

AVR > TV : HDMI (audio/video)
Xbox > AVR : Component video (video)
Xbox > AVR : Optical cable (Audio)

As per the link below you have to use stereo audio with component video by default. Is there any way to use component video + optical audio together? I could not find it on the site.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/connect-sound-system

can you give me your tv and AVR models?

Last edited:
To receive 5.1 audio on the AVR, you need to use digital audio which can either be via HDMI, coax or optical. You have used the component video adapter which also uses stereo audio not digital. This is what you need to do:

AVR > TV : HDMI (audio/video)
Xbox > AVR : Component video (video)
Xbox > AVR : Optical cable (Audio)

As per the link below you have to use stereo audio with component video by default. Is there any way to use component video + optical audio together? I could not find it on the site.
Connect Xbox 360 Audio| Xbox 360 Sound System | Xbox 360 HDMI Sound - Xbox.com - Xbox.com

can you give me your tv and AVR models?

Hi! .

Your statement "To receive 5.1 audio on the AVR, you need to use digital audio which can either be via HDMI, coax or optical" is 100% True.

For some reason, i am not getting 5.1 audio on the AVR (Denon 1612) through HDMI connected from the TV (SAMSUNG LED UA32D5000PRMXL), nor 5.1 Audio through HDMI for the AVR connected to Tata Sky HD PVR.

The TV can read quite a few formats and i have connected my 1tb hdd to it for watching movies. while it is connected to avr via hdmi, the minute i take out the optic cable, the AVR displays (Video only), and i get clear video and no audio.

The Xbox version i have is the older version which doesnot support hdmi, and hence has only a component connection. the compnonent cable has an optic out on it. As you have correctly mentioned, and i know, the component cable can only give me stereo sound. But when i connect the xbox through the optic cable, it instantly gives me 5.1 sound through the AVR.

I have ordered the manual optic switch, but i am pretty sure there is something i am not doing right and hence the Qs!

Hi! .

Your statement "To receive 5.1 audio on the AVR, you need to use digital audio which can either be via HDMI, coax or optical" is 100% True.

For some reason, i am not getting 5.1 audio on the AVR (Denon 1612) through HDMI connected from the TV (SAMSUNG LED UA32D5000PRMXL),

You will only get 5.1 audio from TV to AVR if your TV and AVR support Audio Return Channel (ARC). IF not, then you would need to connect an optical cable from TV to AVR to enable full 5.1 audio.

nor 5.1 Audio through HDMI for the AVR connected to Tata Sky HD PVR.

Tata Sky does not support 5.1 audio over HDMI, you need to use optical from STB to AVR for 5.1

The TV can read quite a few formats and i have connected my 1tb hdd to it for watching movies. while it is connected to avr via hdmi, the minute i take out the optic cable, the AVR displays (Video only), and i get clear video and no audio.

The Xbox version i have is the older version which doesnot support hdmi, and hence has only a component connection. the compnonent cable has an optic out on it. As you have correctly mentioned, and i know, the component cable can only give me stereo sound. But when i connect the xbox through the optic cable, it instantly gives me 5.1 sound through the AVR.

Yes, for 5.1 audio you would need to connect it via optical. Good thing you are using component video, will give you the best pic quality.

I have ordered the manual optic switch, but i am pretty sure there is something i am not doing right and hence the Qs!

For some reason, i am not getting 5.1 audio on the AVR (Denon 1612) through HDMI connected from the TV (SAMSUNG LED UA32D5000PRMXL),

You will only get 5.1 audio from TV to AVR if your TV and AVR support Audio Return Channel (ARC). IF not, then you would need to connect an optical cable from TV to AVR to enable full 5.1 audio.

Tata Sky does not support 5.1 audio over HDMI, you need to use optical from STB to AVR for 5.1

Yes, for 5.1 audio you would need to connect it via optical. Good thing you are using component video, will give you the best pic quality.

Thanks! .. Am glad that i am looking at it the right way!.. now how do i connect all three optic outs to one single input into my AVR?

Reviving Old Thread

Hey There- I am looking for Toslink Switcher due to digital input limitation in Amp.

I saw one on ebay , Cheap Plastic one @ high cost compare to US one .1200-1500 for 5-6 USD.
Link
Did any one buy? Can any one give review. I read everywhere bad feedback in USA site like amazon...

Please advice if any other device available incuding Hifi Mart :)

Thanks in Advance for reply.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back