32' LG80FR or 42" PQ60... I am confused

anand_dk1

I had a budget of 32 LG80FR (LG JAZZ) FULL HD LCD
but I would stretch a 4-5k to go for a bigger screen 42 inch LGPQ60( LG Plasma) 1024 x 768.
I dont know how to compare these two, Some body please help me decide. Looking at next couple of years of technlogy which one would be better ? I have to make a quick decision or else the offer would go.. please please please advice.
Thanks
Andy

Dude, go for the bigger screen size for sure if your living area is big enough, i.e., viewing distance is at least 5.3 feet. I presume you are like me and not an absolute videophile. You won't be able to make out much of a difference between full hd and hd-ready (720p) in 32" if the above is correct. Besides, most normal viewing is not even 720p, so if you do not have something like a BD player/ WDTV which can give you a full HD source, HD ready will not only suffice but actually provide better picture than a full HD set. The extra screen real estate WILL make a difference to your viewing experience as well. Do check out other models within that range as well, though. More plasmas should be available in that size and for that budget.

If you have brightly lit room/hall,any widow opposite the display then plasma is not much of use...
Also you can see if you get ( discountinued) LG 53 Full HD 42 inch LCD at what price... amonth back in MUmbai the price was 55 K!

I had a budget of 32 LG80FR (LG JAZZ) FULL HD LCD
but I would stretch a 4-5k to go for a bigger screen 42 inch LGPQ60( LG Plasma) 1024 x 768.
I dont know how to compare these two, Some body please help me decide. Looking at next couple of years of technlogy which one would be better ? I have to make a quick decision or else the offer would go.. please please please advice.
Thanks
Andy

dude, i have compared my LG PQ70 (almost same as PQ60) with latest LG Scarlet2 32" full hd which my friend is having. both using tatasky. at a distance more than 5' the plasma is really better. my friend is really disappointed now because he spent 45k for 32" and i spent 44k for 42" :) Even we tried same DVD with same player. result was the same. so far i found only one problem with plasma -the reflection. you need to control the lights a bit.

Last edited:
if you have a window opposite the screen, it will be as bad/good as your old CRT was, and the same way you used curtains with regard to your old CRT, you can use curtains with regard to the plasma. This is a relatively minor consideration IMO.

Go for the 42" plasma, i myself started out looikng for a 32" LCD and ended up with a 42" plasma, it's a no contest boss, my friend who bought a 32" LCD at the same time, comes to my house and curses me! don't be in her position!

If you have brightly lit room/hall,any widow opposite the display then plasma is not much of use...
Also you can see if you get ( discountinued) LG 53 Full HD 42 inch LCD at what price... amonth back in MUmbai the price was 55 K!

All my friend's bought the 42" plasmas after looking at mine, 2 own PV80 and one sammy

I am very much tempted to 42 " inch plasma now. But as hemant pointed out, my hall has light source from every direction and accoustically poorly designed.
Hall is very big with as many as three big windows and light sources coming even from top because from its open (its like a balcony) so that hall is visible from first floor. Imagine something like penthouse.
Accoustics are so badly designed that when hall TV is on sound is clearer in the first floor bedrooms than in the hall itself [:(].

But with All these limitations also I think i will go for plasma as this is not my permanent house and will move in few months from this place.

Thank you all for your advices.
~Anand

Anand please watch tv with the curtains drawn for few months , i think that is the best possible solution to limit the light, once u shift hopefully u wont have a similar brightly lit living room

err is this really an issue? window opposite the plasma TV? Arent the latest plasma sets (PQ70) etc smart enough to counter that? 40"+ LCDs are way too expensive man :(

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back