koushik

Out of Box
A single unit Coopa HD player
Power Supply adapter
3-ways AV RCA Cable
USB2.0 Cable
Remote
Manual

Solidly build black color unit with no loose ends. Size of a car audio player. Minimal frontend design with a power button, SD card slot, IR receiver and 3 LEDs for Power, Standy and Data.

Connections
OUT
composite and component Video out
Audio R & L
Optical and Coaxial out
1 HDMI out

IN
2 USB for pendrive and e-Sata
SD Card slot in front
A 3.5" HDD slot on the right side. A tray comes out where you need to load the HDD (upto 2GB SATA) and push inside. The connection made is pretty smooth with no hassle. They say it is hot-swappable, but I prefer not to test it. I would rather switch of the unit and take out the HDD.

Supported Format
Video Formats: MKV,TS,M2TS,TP,WMV,IFO, ISO, VOB, DAT, AVI, MPG,MP4,MOV, RM, RMVB, FLV and many more

Video Codecs: MPEG-1/2 /4 SP /ASP /AVC (H.264) / XviD / DivX / WMV9 (VC-1) / RealVideo 8/9/10 (up to 720P)

Audio Format: MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, AAC, LPCM, FLAC, AC3,APE CUE

Audio Codecs: Mp3 / Mp2 / OGG Vorbis / APE - APE Cue /PCM / LPCM / AAC / RA

Audio Output

Dolby Digital AC3 5.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)

Dolby Digital Plus (passthrough)

DTS (passthrough & downmix to stereo)

DTS-HD Master Audio (passthrough core stream & downmix to stereo)

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (passthrough core stream & downmix to stereo)

Performance
Setting up the Coopa player with my Sony LCD and 2 channel Stereo Integrated Amp was a breeze. Connected TV with HDMI cable and Amp with a RCA cable through the analog RL out (I don't have AV Receiver).
I started off with Pirates of Caribbean (on stranger tides). The Coopa was doing very good job. Further even as we played some 1080p files from USB pen-drive, the set did not disappoint me at all. The player was quick in reading the heavy files. The playback was crisp and in-time. It is fast to browse and select a file to play and takes 3-5 sec to start playing a file. It is amazing how this player plays every format of audio and video that I have thrown in. It definitely stands-out for the versatile file format capability.

The sound quality while watching movies was not a problem. The depth was there and the vocal was coming straight to my face from my 2 channel speakers, thanks to my much beloved toed-in sonodyne 306A FS. No audio format ever worried me.

While listening to the 2 channel audios (music files), the player faltered! Not in format capability but the quality. The sound was muddy and there was no channel separations. It was like mono sound but thanks to some stereo phonic flow of highs from left to right speakers assured me that setup is on stereo mode (not mono :) ). It was such that as if there is a thick sheet of curtain between speakers and myself.
For this reason I bought a FiiO D3 DAC and a TOSLINK cable last day. By this the channel separation got so wide that suddenly my toed-in focused speakers sounding completely out-of-focus. I again had to re-focus the setup for sweet spot. The SQ is now better and vocal was out of box. The curtain has been raised and the waves were into my ears much sweeter. More on FiiO DAC later on but it certainly helped. A catch though, FiiO Dac doesn't take multi-channel audio, only 2 channel music is welcome otherwise there is static sound when played movie with multi-channel audio.

Conclusion
People on budget or for starter setup looking for Value for money HD Media Player, Coopa is for them. Highly recommended for fast, crisp, no-nonsense performance. And for the playability of every AV format known to mankind!

Rating
Video - 4.5/5
Audio(while playing music) - 1.5/5
Audio(while playing movies) - 3/5
Playability - 5/5
VFM - 5/5
Connectivity - 4/5 ( A 5.1 analog RCA out would have been great)

Last edited:
query;

1. which USB cable is provided and for what ??

2. I was curious to know abt m3u playlist for my asus omini, coopa doesnt have it in specifications ??

...is a bummer .

Although it is mere quantitative representation of my disliking (may be some1 else wud have given 2 or 2.5 or 1) but the main point is it is not good for pure audio experience when using it's analog o/p.

We can add a DAC of our choice and use it as a bit streamer. I prefer it that way as a media player can decode all format and DAC do the conversion.

Although it is mere quantitative representation of my disliking (may be some1 else wud have given 2 or 2.5 or 1) but the main point is it is not good for pure audio experience when using it's analog o/p.

We can add a DAC of our choice and use it as a bit streamer. I prefer it that way as a media player can decode all format and DAC do the conversion.

Audio via HDMI to a receiver should be better and as good as any other means?

Koushik, d't u faced any problem shipping it here at WB? Most of the time the things get stuck at customs. And the "WAY BILL" is another issue that Kolkata have.

Yeah that may be the only solution, else I very well know the roller coaster ride you have to go through to get your item stuck at Kolkata customs.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back