40-45K budget AV system + Speakers - thoughts

geoin19

Let me begin by saying that I am in the look out for a AV+Speakers in under 45K. I have done my fair share of research and based on some initial findings... I was thinking of a

Marantz SR301 5.1 AV Receiver
Marantz LS6000 5 Speaker Package HomeTheater

I am getting these for a little under 46K

Would appreciate your thoughts about these?

If there are alternates, would certainly like to hear about them and if you could also provide estimated prices and dealer/seller information, it would be brilliant.

Some additional info - the movies/music ratio would probably be about 70/30.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
I have just found out about an ultimate speaker system that wouldnt break the bank

Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System - retails for $299 in the US. Has got excellent rating and rave reviews.

They also have a 12" sub for $250 USD.
Fluance DB200 12 Inch 200 Watt Low Frequency Powered Subwoofer

Do you know if these are available in India?

I have just found out about an ultimate speaker system that wouldnt break the bank

Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System - retails for $299 in the US. Has got excellent rating and rave reviews.

They also have a 12" sub for $250 USD.
Fluance DB200 12 Inch 200 Watt Low Frequency Powered Subwoofer

Do you know if these are available in India?

I have not seen Fluance being sold in India only US. They are good speakers compared to TV and HTiBs

If you are sourcing from US also look for The Speaker Company. These are refurbished Polk and Energy series speakers. The outfit is owned by DM Holdings (Denon Marantz fame)

I am not sure if I will be able to source them from the US since these are really big/heavy speakers. I would have loved to hear them if they were available in India.

Thanks... will certainly check out the Speaker Co.

If you think that you will be able to add on to your budget down the line, go with a Amp of your choice + a good set of 2.0 or 3.0 (L/R/C) speaker set now which is within your current setup. Later, you can add the sub and the surrounds to complete the 5.1. This approach will eliminate the need to upgrade the speakers later and you will also have a good speaker set.

The catch is that you have to live with 2.0/3.0 setup till you complete the 5.1, but well worth the wait. Take a call on it....

I am open to just picking up 2.0 or 3.0 initial and then adding the sub and surround when I have the dough.

Thou my initial plan was for a Marantz... I am hearing that its not really good for movies... dunno if this is a mindset of some sort or a fact. Since my use is 70/30 movies/music... I am reconsidering the options... looking at a Onkyo 606, Yam 663 or denon 1909...

questions: do you know what speakers would compliment each AVRs?

Onkyo 606,
Yam 663
Denon 1909

I am open to just picking up 2.0 or 3.0 initial and then adding the sub and surround when I have the dough.

Thou my initial plan was for a Marantz... I am hearing that its not really good for movies... dunno if this is a mindset of some sort or a fact. Since my use is 70/30 movies/music... I am reconsidering the options... looking at a Onkyo 606, Yam 663 or denon 1909...

questions: do you know what speakers would compliment each AVRs?

Onkyo 606,
Yam 663
Denon 1909

You are starting on a practical route to build the HT system. Your upgrade should look like thsi

2.0 -> 2.1 -> 3.1 (L/C/R) -> 5.1

Please go thru a thread started by jacobinasu which is on similar subject. Also, there are a couple of threads in speakers section on BSs under 20k and 30k.

Once you shortlist 3 or 4 brands/models of speakers, audition them with your preferred AVR. Yamaha is the allrounder AVR which is most recommended here in this budget.

Set aside 10% of your budget for cables and interconnects.

Thanks Skumar... what a coincidence.... Jacob happens to be my cousin... I have read his posts. Will talk to him and get all the dope that he has collected already... Wonderful! it couldnt have worked out better.

Let me begin by saying that I am in the look out for a AV+Speakers in under 45K.

If there are alternates, would certainly like to hear about them and if you could also provide estimated prices and dealer/seller information, it would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance...

Hai Geo,

Pl go through the current issue of AVMAX Mag, there are many combo suggestions from 10k - 60k

Thanks,

N.Murali

Thanks Murali... I happened to see the AV Mag while I was checking out the Mondurant Short speakers. I am certainly buying the mag to check it out in more detail.

Cyril.... Thanks for the advice. I have actually eliminated the Marantz 301 now that I have done some additional research and am considering the Onk 606, Denon 1909 or Yam 663.

Today was the big day when I did the auditions for the systems/speakers that I am considering now.

E-xite: Bangalore: Contact Aditya
As usual excellent service. I did call him before I went and so he made sure that he had one of his colleagues show me the systems. Checked out the Jamo S406 (Tower,Cen,Surr) w 200 Sub. It was a mixed reaction. Sounded alright by felt the bass was lacking. I may have to do another demo since the AVR used was a Sherwood. Not sure if that effected the outcome.

E-Zone: Bangalore: Contact Devraj
Checked out the Jamo S606 w 200 sub & the Yam 8390 w NSP 60.
Jamo 606 was really bright. In fact I would think it was a little too bright for my comfort.
Another prob that I noticed was that the dialogues on the center speaker was barely audible. Not sure if this was because of the incorrect setup.
The Yam 8390 w NSP 60 was more balanced than the Jamo. But I have to listen to it again to know for sure. Since I had just heard the Jamo 606 prior to that. Going to e-xite tomorrow to demo it a little more.

Palani: Bangalore: Contact Chandru/Mr Palani
Excellent setup... and was the most patient in expaining the technology behind every single demo that they showed me.
Checked out the Mordaunt Short Avant - Was blowed away by the quality and the musicality. There was just no comparison between the Jamo and the these. Thou I have to say that the setup here was a mini theater. Used a Cambridge CD/DVD player with Cambridge AVR.

Sonodyne: Forum Bangalore: Adarsh
Checked out both Sonus and Avant from Sonodyne. Bad setup - walls of the room were glass. After the Mordaunt short... it felt like it was noise... dint get a good feel at all.

Finally now I am confused. I know that I want the Mordaunts but I just dont have the dough right now. I may consider picking up the towers to begin with and then the rest to follow.

Last edited:
For all the budding buyers: Here are the prices that I got

E-Zone: They have the sale till Aug 16. So prices are discounted.
Jamo S606 tower - 24.7K
Jamo 200 Sub - 13.4K
Jamo 250 sub - 18to19K
Jamo S718 tower - 25.1k
Yamaha AVR 463 - 27k
Denon 1709 - 31k
Denon 1907 - 25k

X-cite
Jamo 406 w sub 200 (5.1) - 25.9k
Sub 250 - 19k
Yamaha 463 - 21.5k
Yamaha 663 - 37.5k
Yamaha 8390 (tower) - 9k
Yamaha NSP 60 - 5.3k

Sonodyne Showroom Forum
Sonus (5.1) - 56k
Avant 5.1 - 125k
Yamaha 663 - 38k
Yamaha 463 - 24k
Yamaha 363 - 16k
Yamaha 863 - 47k

Palani:
Mordaunt Short Avant 5.1 (906, 905, 903, 309) - 80k
Mordaunt Short Avlano (New 5.1 Series - 6, 5, 1, 7) - 1L
Marantz SR 5003 - 49K+ tax

Hope this helps someone like me out there :)

Hi Geo ... Personally I would recommend the Denon 1909 which is slightly better in all aspects in my expereince ... Regarding the speakers please do not miss to check out the Wharfedales & Missions.

Front - Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 OR Mission M34i
Rear - Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 (Bookshelf - Bigger brother of 9.1) OR Mission M33i (2-way floorstander)
Centre - Any good brands but make sure to get a big size centre to get a very good vocal effect.
Subwoofer - A very important component in the HT system ... so try your best not to compromise on the subwoofer budget ... check out the Velodyne Impact 12 ... retails approx around 30K ... if your room size is not too big then you can try the Impact 10.

Finally I would suggest that you set it up one-by-one if you have a budget constraint ... Buy the AVR and the Front speakers first (you can start using with 2 channel stereo mode which is good for music too) ... then add the Subwoofer ... and finally the centre & surrounds.

All the best ... Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

If you are going with Wharfies for the front, consider the Diamond 9 di/bi-polar surrounds for the surrounds which could be wall mounted. 9.2/9.1 might be an overkill for surrounds and also need separate wall mounts/brackets.

Hi,

You will need to go to dedicated hi fi showrooms for better quality auditioning. For example try cinebels for Jamo instead of the generic showrooms. Similarly the wharfedale outlet in brigade road or south end should be the place to check out.

For all the budding buyers: Here are the prices that I got

Hope this helps someone like me out there :)

Thank you geoin19 :clapping:,

How about Pioneer show room near xcite, the pioneer's new AVR1019 and 919 have recevived good reviews, can you check it out. Also the AVR - LX50.

Thank you in advance.

Gap G J

Thanks ppl...

Ramesh... I will certainly check out the Mission and Wharfedale speakers. Thats still pending on my list.

Sud98... yeah I think its a good idea to do that... coz I am not really sure if they multi outlet guys are setting it up right.

Gap J G - Oh I dint know that they had a pioneer showroom next to e-cite... I travelled all the way to Cunningham road (Sigma Mall) and then got to know that they had moved to some place on Infantry Road. Dint have the time to go there thou.

Thinking of another round this weekend.

By the way i also did some demo-ing yesterday and today.

Chroma - Yam 463 - 20K (the lowest that I have seen)

Onkyo showroom (sigma mall) -
606 - 36k
506 - 22k
576 - 27k

got an offer for 606 + elac speakers for 75K.

People... I'll like you let ya'll know that I have officially bought my 1st HT set up thou I have yet to pick up the Sub.

Picked up the Denon 1610 with the Yam 8390 & NS-P60 Speakers.

I know that the Yams are not really good with their speakers... but got a really good deal from Xcite Blore (ask for Aditya - he is the man) that I couldnt let go. I'll pick up better ones when I have the dough.

Want to thank many of you who have helped me make my decision... I would have been lost without your inputs and the info that is there in this forum.

Cheers ppl...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back