40 INCH BEST LCD OR LED IN BUDGET OF 40k TO 50k

Buying a TV has become like buying a computer. Whatever best you buy today is outdated in two years. More functions/features will be available at lower prices, whether those features matter is immaterial.

Sorry for Non-value-added comment. ;-)

u r wright but i don,t want to spend more on smart tv,s. For those extra functions like youtube fb 3d etc pc is ok. I will prefare lcd/led which is good in pq aq and sd channel and for sports.I need tv which can work for next 5 years. Again iam asking membrs advise abt these two models. Samsung UA40D5000 LED & SAMSUNG LA40D550 LCD & also sony kdl 40ex420. Plz comment abt these two models.

All the three TVs that you mentioned are the lower end models. You say that your horizon is 5+ years. In that case, you do not want to buy something that you may(?) regret after a year or two. The Samsung 'D' series are 2011 models and Sony EX420 is also older generation.

If you are absolutely inclined to LED, then choose Samsung 6 series or Sony EX650 series or LG LM6200 series. You may have to increase your budget. I am not saying that your selected models will not last 5 years. But their PQ, SQ, and other TV features (not talking about smart features) are nothing to speak off. At best these models are suited for the bedroom spare TV. Definitely not the main TV.

If you are willing to look at plasma, the Panasonic 42X50 is just brilliant. It will fit into your budget and will definitely last you 5 years. Panasonic gives 1 year warranty on parts+labour and extra 2 years (extended) warranty on the panel. Please read: TV Buying Guide - LED (LCD) or Plasma.

Last edited:
I saw on common pattern in this kind of suggestion threads. If some people ask advice on LED/LCD people start suggesting about Plasma. Or someone ask about Plasma people suggest about LED/LCD. I feel there is no harm in it.

But, when someone specifically ask about LED or LCD let the suggestion be as per the Thread Subject Line. It will not only make thread meaningful but easy reference for future buyers for that kind of product.

As of now, all of such threads are so clumsy that hardly any reader get help in their decision purpose.

FMs are welcome to suggest about Plasma for those who intends to buy it and create thread for it.

All the three TVs that you mentioned are the lower end models. You say that your horizon is 5+ years. In that case, you do not want to buy something that you may(?) regret after a year or two. The Samsung 'D' series are 2011 models and Sony EX420 is also older generation.

If you are absolutely inclined to LED, then choose Samsung 6 series or Sony EX650 series or LG LM6200 series. You may have to increase your budget. I am not saying that your selected models will not last 5 years. But their PQ, SQ, and other TV features (not talking about smart features) are nothing to speak off. At best these models are suited for the bedroom spare TV. Definitely not the main TV.

If you are willing to look at plasma, the Panasonic 42X50 is just brilliant. It will fit into your budget and will definitely last you 5 years. Panasonic gives 1 year warranty on parts+labour and extra 2 years (extended) warranty on the panel. Please read: TV Buying Guide - LED (LCD) or Plasma.

thanks bro for ur detailed answer abt these models.... As reading ur comments now iam less hopefull that i will get good led in 50k budget.... Can u suggest good lcd model in 50k range ?? .... Or medium range 40 inch lcd,s are also beyond 50k .. And what is price of sony bravia 40ex650 and panasonic 42x50.
Are these models 42x50 & ex650 new then those 2011 models which i mention.

Last edited:
I saw on common pattern in this kind of suggestion threads. If some people ask advice on LED/LCD people start suggesting about Plasma. Or someone ask about Plasma people suggest about LED/LCD. I feel there is no harm in it.

But, when someone specifically ask about LED or LCD let the suggestion be as per the Thread Subject Line. It will not only make thread meaningful but easy reference for future buyers for that kind of product.

As of now, all of such threads are so clumsy that hardly any reader get help in their decision purpose.

FMs are welcome to suggest about Plasma for those who intends to buy it and create thread for it.
You are correct. If people are asking about LCD/LED, the suggestion should be restricted to that. But it would help, if the OP also mentioned that s/he does not wish to consider plasma at all.

Most of the times, people land here on the forum when doing some internet research. The current trend is to think that "LED TV is the latest technology and therefore it is the best". Shop salesmen do not steer the customer to an informed decision. I too was of the opinion that "LED is better" when I saw the wafer thin panels, bright/vivid colours, etc. I strongly believed that plasma is old technology. Only when I did my research and thanks to HFV, I came to know how skewed my thinking was and arrived at a much informed decision.

I have stated in many threads that I like plasma but I am not unduly biased against the LCD/LED. Indeed, I feel that LCD/LED is better for certain situations:
3D LCD or LED TV.
32/40 LED TV Choices

Whatever I said on this thread is with the assumption that OP is obscured by the "LED aura" and wants a proper comparison.

thanks bro for ur detailed answer abt these models.... As reading ur comments now iam less hopefull that i will get good led in 50k budget.... Can u suggest good lcd model in 50k range ?? .... Or medium range 40 inch lcd,s are also beyond 50k .. And what is price of sony bravia 40ex650 and panasonic 42x50.
Are these models 42x50 & ex650 new then those 2011 models which i mention.
Is 50K a real constraint? I mean that there are options available such as 0% finance, etc. My sole intention is that you should not think later that "I should not have hurried" or "I should have put a little more", etc.

Since you are looking at 40", most manufacturers have stopped offering many models in the LCD TV range. Most available still today are 2011 or older models. But keeping the 50K constraint, the best LCD models are:
Sony 40NX520: MRP=54K, Street: 50K
Samsung: No LCD in 40-42"
LG 42CS470: MRP=52K, Street: 48K
(I have not checked on Toshiba and Panasonic does not mention prices on website).

All the above are quite good in their technology. But LCD TVs are not in vogue. It is better to buy LED any day.

The Sony 40EX650 is a 2012 model and will be around be around 65K (street).

The Panasonic 42X50 (also a 2012 model) is an HD-Ready plasma TV and should be available around 45K. Although this is not full-HD, trust me when I say that it offers no significant disadvantages to an FHD model. I recently purchased ST50 for 105K but when it came to watching DTH/Cable, at a distance of 8 feet or more, I could not make out much difference in PQ. Only when letters/text appeared, the ST50 gave smoother text vs. slightly jagged edges of X50. If your budget is constraint by the 50K limit, I strongly urge you to take a demo.

p/s. All these posts/advices/opinions will not help you at this time. You must do demos, select two/three models after a comprehensive in-person visit to shops, and then turn back here for further "fine tuning". I also urge you to visit various manufacturer websites.

Raja go for a LED from sony/samsung/Lg...there are some people in the forum who never own a led/not gonna buy a led will tell u that pic quality is not good..this and that...ask your neighbours who owns a led..or go to a showroom and check leds from these three brands..not gonna regret it...believe me I've played planet earth bluray..awesome blacks,superb color reproduction and unmatched clarity/sharpness...please note my led is not an expensive piece(60k)..some higher priced leds will offer more.

Raja go for a LED from sony/samsung/Lg...there are some people in the forum who never own a led/not gonna buy a led will tell u that pic quality is not good..this and that...ask your neighbours who owns a led..or go to a showroom and check leds from these three brands..not gonna regret it...believe me I've played planet earth bluray..awesome blacks,superb color reproduction and unmatched clarity/sharpness...please note my led is not an expensive piece(60k)..some higher priced leds will offer more.
my budget is only 50k , can i get good led in 50 k or maximum 55k . also tellme model nos of samsung or sony which are good and comes under 55k.

I too agree with Akash - particularly such a comment coming from someone with a million posts and a zillion thanks - we expect such folks to be giving unbiased advice to lesser mortals like us

i tell the truth and never nean to hurt plasma owners ,

"plasma is dead " (interms of development and production)
accept that fact and spend money on these hoping miracle:buyers choice

any ways you folks help the newbie

my advice to newbie :
* Never go for bajaj finance , specially it is there in reliance . they make the price 2-5k extra and rip off .
* while in delhi , get via solardigital very good rates , 32K or so for 50k tv (is a gray market shop )
* Dont expect good sound from slimmer models really the 1 inch deep speakers cant do justice
that is apractical limitation :buy them and add a low cost sound bar.
* plan for media player + HDD , a must have

* viewing distance etc take as 8feet -10feet , there is unnecessary noise in forums
* all 40inch TVs need HD signal , so expect 500Rs pm bill from STB company
* in 50k budget 40inch is only max possible size with warrenty

Last edited:
i tell the truth and never nean to hurt plasma owners ,

"plasma is dead " (interms of development and production)
accept that fact and spend money on these hoping miracle:buyers choice

Not disturbed or hurt at all. But I quote the below. I read them before making a choice ...
------------------------------
Is Plasma a dead technology?
Q: "Want to buy a new plasma but don't know that the face of plasma has changed with the withdraw of two of its top players need some advice plasma or LCD?"
-- George Carter, via e-mail.
A: Well George, personally I think there's no reason to avoid buying plasma just because Pioneer and Vizio dropped out.
In case you haven't heard, dear reader, George is referring to announcements by Pioneer and Vizio, two companies from the high end and the low end of the plasma market, respectively. Both will no longer produce plasma TVs. Last week comments by an LG exec sparked speculation that that company was next to drop plasma, although a company press release says otherwise, stating that LG will continue with its 2009 plasma releases, including the PS80 series that we selected as a Best of CES finalist.
Despite seemingly dire news for plasma, we expect LG, Samsung and especially Panasonic to sell a lot of plasmas in 2009. And I'll feel perfectly comfortable continuing to recommend people buy them, assuming they score well in reviews.
Plasma is not dead yet.
I've consistently found that the best plasmas outperform the best LCDs in side-by-side comparisons, making them the de-facto choice for buyers whose primary concern is getting the best picture for the money. Check out our flat-panel comparison for all the details, and stay tuned in the next days and weeks as we review the 2009 plasma (and LCD) TVs starting to hit store shelves.

Source: 'Plasma's dead. Should I buy plasma?': Ask the Editors | Crave - CNET
Best Value for Money TV in mid-range: Panasonic ST50
Best HDTVs overall - CNET Reviews

Is Plasma dead?
Is plasma dead? it depends on who you ask. The overwhelming opinion is no, but that doesn't mean it's not dying.

"Emissive technologies [like plasma] have always been able to produce better color saturation, better contrast, and the like," Nelkin says.
"I don't think you can use anything but plasma for digital signage," says John Bangs, president of AV/Com Integrators of Severn, Md., adding that they're brighter and have better angle of vision. Connery disputes the brightness claim, but confirms that one of plasma's advantages is contrast ratio. Known for their ability to display fast motion, plasmas have also overcome drawbacks that previously plagued them in the past, such as burn-in and lifespan.

Source: Is Plasma Dead?
Plasma TVs Back from the Dead and Here to Stay
In what could be one of the most surprising turnarounds in home entertainment technology, plasma TV shipments reached an all time high of 19.1 million units 2010, up from 14.8 units in 2009.

Plasma TV sales plummeted in 2009 as prices dropped on more energy efficient LCD HDTVs across all screen sizes. Some industry analysts said plasma was dead. When manufacturers including Pioneer and Vizio stopped making plasma TVs, it seemed that plasma TVs were on their way out along with VCRs.

The road to recovery

But Panasonic, Samsung and LGE continued to improve their plasma models making them thinner and more energy efficient to compete with LCD TVs. Plasma TV active power use dropped 41 percent from 2008 to 2010, according to figures today released from the Consumer Electronics Association. Then came the aggressive roll-out of pricey LED-backlit LCD TVs that caused a big slowdown in the decline in LCD TV average prices.

In contrast, plasma TVs were well-suited for consumers?? purchasing habits in 2010, providing the most affordable large flat panel TVs for many consumers, according to Display Search.

The strong industry push for 3-D TV helped too, as some reviewers and consumers concluded that plasma TV had superior 3-D performance compared to LCD TV.

"With 3-D functionality, plasma can re-position itself as a lasting technology in the TV industry," Ken Park, DisplaySearch senior analyst, said. "In fact, plasma TV brands are entering 2011 with 3-D across their product portfolios, from 42-inches to 152-inches."
Source: Plasma TVs Back from the Dead and Here to Stay | TechNewsDaily.com
There are countless other examples.

Yes, plasma will die eventually but so will LCD/LED TVs when OLED becomes affordable to manufacture.

Last edited:
According to Displaysearch within 2014 PDP shipment gonna decrease to mere 2%..while Led tv gonna rapidly replace lcdtv(not led backlighting) and oled will emerge...i.e. led+lcd+oled more than 98%...led is here to stay and not going anywhere..2012 shipment figure of plasma already at 5%..

just4kix , please check your news sources you quoted

your article is very very old by David Katzmaier |March 2, 2009 9:50 AM PST those days only plasma was phased out gradually

i can feel you believe in plasma......but I guess the forum members will get ditrated by old news you have put .

Most buyers know that why you want to push a different story :D:D

just4kix , please check your news sources you quoted

your article is very very old by David Katzmaier |March 2, 2009 9:50 AM PST those days only plasma was phased out gradually

i can feel you believe in plasma......but I guess the forum members will get ditrated by old news you have put .

Most buyers know that why you want to push a different story :D:D

Mere Vilayati Chacha,

Dont get personal or you will soon get the stick, everyone has a right to give their opinion but you need not get personal...

google pe top TV HDTV 2011 or 2012 search kar lena & see the links that you get (like CNET) and what they have to say about plasmas... anyways I know you are doing this since long on this forum and would not change bcos of this 1 post...

As they say " ignorance is bliss " :sad:

I had two LCD's > LG -LD650 & Sony Bravia...for over 4-5 years....Now moved to basic version of Panasonic XT50 and it hands down beats any LED ever seen on the wall.....Its just HD ready....

Only issue can be reflections in a well lit room,...having said that dont go by how Plasma look in showroom....Own one and then compare..

With lights off its like an angel with WOW black levels and LCD is like a shooting star hitting you in eyes.....

Also, I first saw plasma 7 years back when my bro imported it from US.....

I feel stupid now that I sold it off and replaced it with a LCD.....

At least for 40-50K, trust me this is the best TV in market...also lets not forget you get 3 years warranty ....Icing on cake is HT free...

Right dude - HT is free with 42XT50 available for 45-48K & makes good sense to buy..

I appreciate all membrs comments but don,t know what to say ! i posted here to get help for good lcd/led under 50k , but this thread looks like another fight place between led vs plasma users.. Before posting here i was conformed that i will go for lcd/led but now little bit confuse....

plz suggest some more models till under 50k ex650 is beyond my budget and i don,t want to buy plasma , so plz give some comments abt samsung la40d550 lcd , samsung ua40d5000 led and 2012 model eh5000 ,,,,,, or any other models which are below 50k with warranty.

Back