42" LG PQ60 Vs Samsung B450 Plasmas - Home Review.

I thought playing games in plasma wud result in IR... is tat rite?

Right until few years ago.. Today it is a different story.. But bad name dies late. Nothing can be done about it..

LG has a LOT of temporary IR but I dint seen any permenent IR nor did I have the set so long as to see the permenent IR. Avoid the LG if you plan to play games. (Avoid LG even otherwise as you have better choices from samsung and panasonic now for the same/lesser cost)

The IR in Samsung plasma is almost NIL. I have started keeping the contrast and brightness setting to my liking now after the first week of usage. No issues.

Panasonic plasmas have a legendary IR resistive panel. The panasonic engineers claim that the 2009 plasmas need to display a still image for 4 years at a strech to get any form of burn in. This is other way of saying no-IR. (Infact CRT panels have a IR resistivity only in terms of months, meaning, If you leave a still image on a CRT for say, 3 months, you get a permenent IR. But nobody has seen a permenent IR in CRTs.)

I would personally buy a panasonic plasma along with peace of mind if PS3/XBOX is the requirement. Even if there is going to be a IR in long run (say 5 years), IMO, it is better than living with LCD kind of motion resolution from day 1. Again, As I always say, it's only me.

I would personally buy a panasonic plasma along with peace of mind if PS3/XBOX is the requirement. Even if there is going to be a IR in long run (say 5 years), IMO, it is better than living with LCD kind of motion resolution from day 1. Again, As I always say, it's only me.

Y not samsung :) Thought itz ur personal favorite ;)

ok blasto..thanks for the info. now pls help me

i m getting a samsung for 46k

x10 for 46k
c10 for 39k

obvsly the first choice is C10. but do u think i should go for those extra thousands?

i will be using it for movies n STB viewing only..

ok blasto..thanks for the info. now pls help me

i m getting a samsung for 46k

x10 for 46k
c10 for 39k

obvsly the first choice is C10. but do u think i should go for those extra thousands?

i will be using it for movies n STB viewing only..

All my efforts to "home demo" a panasonic plasma ended in failure and my store demos suggest that it is inferior to even LG in colour reproduction and with much more grains for the same SD signal. I instantly tried to verify my doubts and looks like panasonic does not advertise their panel's colour reproduction capability. (LG is a 16bit and samsung is a 18bit panel and you can find my post explaining these elsewhere).

I cannot (and will not) back this claim because, both LG and samsung plasmas proved much better in home environment. So, Iam going to be biased against the panasonic plasmas until I get to demo them at someone's house.

All I can say now is, If you see a samsung plasma (both 42" and 50") at work in someone's house, You will wish to take one to your home too.

It is a well known fact that the samsung's SD imaging engine is best next to only the sony's. The same engine is used in the plasmas too. I cannot see any kind of grain standing only 3-4 feet from the TV with sun DTH. (I cannot say the same with LG which required atleast 6 feet to attain this and I don't know of panasonic)

Also, The C10 exposes a gray screen when switched off without any anti glare. Some may like it and some may not. Functionally too the anti glare screen helps avoid glare from ambient room light (tube light/bulbs) and partially from external light. X10 and B450 have a more acceptable blackish screen. Asthetically B450 wins hands down.

View them side by side both switched off and switched on with SD and make your choice.

My verdict is,
For 42"
X10 if your usage comprises much of gaming
B450 if your usage comprises much of SD viewing
C10 if you have budget constraints and a room with minimal ambient light and no external light.

For 50"
B450 hands down for the price.

Amazon reviews/home photos.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN42B...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264687768&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264687791&sr=8-2

Note the mention of colours in every other review of samsung.

Last edited:
Hi Blasto,

After reading your posts and discussing with Addagalla, I had a 'home demo' (thanks to Addagalla for introducing me to different options and settings).

I found colors on Plasma quite natural (be it PQ70, C10 or B450), while LCD appeared either too colorful or bit white washed (read SONY lcds). I compared B450 with LG PQ70 (HyperCity) and with C10 (TMC), it beats both hands down in displaying SD content.

I had almost decided to get this one when noticed a annoying issue with plasma, too much of glare. I noticed it at Addagalla's house and other demo locations too. I am not sure if one gets used to it (you can comment better) or remains a distracting factor while watching your favourite movie.

I looked around for non-reflective ones (lcd :D) and found B530 interesting. But I am skeptical about its gaming capability (given it is 60Hz one). Can it handle PS3/XBox well ?

All my efforts to "home demo" a panasonic plasma ended in failure and my store demos suggest that it is inferior to even LG in colour reproduction and with much more grains for the same SD signal. I instantly tried to verify my doubts and looks like panasonic does not advertise their panel's colour reproduction capability. (LG is a 16bit and samsung is a 18bit panel and you can find my post explaining these elsewhere).

I cannot (and will not) back this claim because, both LG and samsung plasmas proved much better in home environment. So, Iam going to be biased against the panasonic plasmas until I get to demo them at someone's house.

All I can say now is, If you see a samsung plasma (both 42" and 50") at work in someone's house, You will wish to take one to your home too.

It is a well known fact that the samsung's SD imaging engine is best next to only the sony's. The same engine is used in the plasmas too. I cannot see any kind of grain standing only 3-4 feet from the TV with sun DTH. (I cannot say the same with LG which required atleast 6 feet to attain this and I don't know of panasonic)

Also, The C10 exposes a gray screen when switched off without any anti glare. Some may like it and some may not. Functionally too the anti glare screen helps avoid glare from ambient room light (tube light/bulbs) and partially from external light. X10 and B450 have a more acceptable blackish screen. Asthetically B450 wins hands down.

View them side by side both switched off and switched on with SD and make your choice.

My verdict is,
For 42"
X10 if your usage comprises much of gaming
B450 if your usage comprises much of SD viewing
C10 if you have budget constraints and a room with minimal ambient light and no external light.

For 50"
B450 hands down for the price.

Amazon reviews/home photos.

Amazon.com: Samsung PN42B450 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV: Electronics

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA X1 Series TC-P42X1 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV: Electronics

Note the mention of colours in every other review of samsung.

That post was soo useful mate. thanks
i will start looking for a b450 cos its tough to find one. i m in no hurry so will wait.

thanks again

I had almost decided to get this one when noticed a annoying issue with plasma, too much of glare. I noticed it at Addagalla's house and other demo locations too. I am not sure if one gets used to it (you can comment better) or remains a distracting factor while watching your favourite movie.

You will notice glare in the store. It is because of the lighting arrangement they have. This is not an ideal demo spot. This demo has no real value in case of plasmas.

If you noticed the glare in addagalla's house, you will notice it in your house also.
I recommend a second visit to his house. It is possible you confuse your store demo with the demo you had in his house. Also, see if you can see the glare when the TV is switched on (and not off). If you see it again, get the LCD instead.

I din't get used to it. I just din't see it in addagalla's house. (I went around 7PM and demoed with 2 tube lights in the room on) If you see it, you are more sensitive to glare, better to avoid.

If you have a window opposite to the TV that you don't wish to curtain, forget the plasmas. Ambient light from the room itself (tubelight etc) is filtered well by the TV's filter.

I looked around for non-reflective ones (lcd :D) and found B530 interesting. But I am skeptical about its gaming capability (given it is 60Hz one). Can it handle PS3/XBox well ?

B530 is a good LCD. (compared to other LCDs)
The picture will be sharp with lesser black level to the B450. Same image processing as the B450.
It is a 10bit panel and hence far less colours. Try to view a static 'red' colour. (vodaphone ad?) The redder it appears, the TV has as much colour accuracy and black level.
The picture will be only as good or bad as the sony you are mentioning as white washed. (V series specifically)

Also, I have only 'general knowledge' about gaming. Iam not a gamer. Typically, you will have motion related problems in LCDs and the general consensus is, you will not notice it until you play once in a plasma.
You might want to ask someone who knows more in this area.

Thx blasto... After a year of waiting, booked 50" b450 in hamsaveni... Your topic helped me a lot... They quoted Rs.59500 for b450 + p192 dvd player... since i want only the tv, they finally quoted Rs.57300...

Thx blasto... After a year of waiting, booked 50" b450 in hamsaveni... Your topic helped me a lot... They quoted Rs.59500 for b450 + p192 dvd player... since i want only the tv, they finally quoted Rs.57300...

Great!

Post your obsevations here.

Thanks,

Thanks blasto for response. I checked about availability with Bajaj Electronics (Punjagutta) and they promised to deliver same day with price tag of 45,800 (including free digicam offer, though no sun DTH as that's gone).

Got the real shocker when I visited the showroom. They made about turn and said price they told me on phone did not include free(?) digicam ! I felt what they say on phone is gimmick to get customer to showroom, so no point in buying from them.

Seems B450 it is not available in other showrooms, TMC guys told it would take at least 10-15 days. They suggested to go for C10 instead. I admit I liked pictures on C10 too and wanted to do side-by-side comparison with B450...not sure if any showroom got both.

Hope to get one soon....Anyways, I can vouch for PQ of Plasma (any) compared to LCD (any).

Thanks blasto for response. I checked about availability with Bajaj Electronics (Punjagutta) and they promised to deliver same day with price tag of 45,800 (including free digicam offer, though no sun DTH as that's gone).

Got the real shocker when I visited the showroom. They made about turn and said price they told me on phone did not include free(?) digicam ! I felt what they say on phone is gimmick to get customer to showroom, so no point in buying from them.

Seems B450 it is not available in other showrooms, TMC guys told it would take at least 10-15 days. They suggested to go for C10 instead. I admit I liked pictures on C10 too and wanted to do side-by-side comparison with B450...not sure if any showroom got both.

Hope to get one soon....Anyways, I can vouch for PQ of Plasma (any) compared to LCD (any).

Looks like, the bajaj punjakutta has become greedy!

I got mine from bajaj kukatpalli.
These guys do not display any plasmas and so you cannot demo but stand by their price quote by phone. So, once you are done deciding the model, contact them and ask for the quote in phone. Tell you are getting better offers elsewhere til they come down to 44.5k (which is the price I got with sun DTH offer last month). Price with digicam of 45.8k also looks like a good deal.

When you visit the shop, don't say them that you are going to purchase immediately. Tell them you are researching the price and are planning to get next week, They will give the best price in writing. You can use that quote when/if you don't get a better price.

Contact vyas-manager or srikanth-who gives quote. Tell them you know me and I have purchased it for 44.5k last month.

Thanks Blasto for the detailed comparo!

I was debating between LG PQ70, X10 and B450 for a long time and finally zeroed in on the Sammy 42 B450 last week. Managed to get it for 40,500 from Ezone Pune (Central Mall) without much haggling.:yahoo: Delivery is on Saturday.

Any suggestions regarding which DTH to pick up?

I was debating between LG PQ70, X10 and B450 for a long time and finally zeroed in on the Sammy 42 B450 last week. Managed to get it for 40,500 from Ezone Pune (Central Mall) without much haggling.:yahoo: Delivery is on Saturday.

I currently have SUN DTH base pack (which I got free for the TV) and airtel.

SUN DTH beats Airtel raw in the PQ front side by side.
Component vs composite does not makes any difference in SUN DTH but the composite PQ itself is better than Airtel by quite a margin.

But for anything other than PQ, SUN DTH sucks!! The UI is junk and the remote is a piece of crap. Navigation is also a pain, We need to remember the channel numbers like the olden days.

Airtel scores very well in the UI, remote and navigation. channel selection is a breeze. Has four different favorites hot keys for four different people in the house. Channels are grouped by 8 different genre like news, movies, sports etc. There's also a "whats playing now" which allows to select channels by mood. Overall great.

Big TV has better PQ than both of these and a better UI than SUN. But it has a super intrusive logo which I also fear may cause some IR. Thats why voted against it.

BTW, 40.5k is the lowest anyone got the TV for. Is it the B530 instead?

Thanks,

hey BLASTO how much should i spend for a 50" Samsung B450.
i checked out a shop yesterday (here in mumbai)
it had the 50" B450 for 70k
i had gone to check out the LG 50PQ30. they didnt have the 50" LG but said they would order it. 50PQ30 @ 54k with exchange
i didnt ask about the sammy but i'll go there again to do some haggling.
which tv do you think i should get?

i checked the specs of both & they are similar.
the b450 has a 18bit panel.
dunno bout the PQ30 (may be 10bit)

the 50PQ70 was @60k with exchange. but i prefer a 50PQ30 + external speakers over the 70.

pls enlighten me on the sammy more.....(i did check what you posted earlier)

i want to know how HD 720p & 1080p look on the plasmas (B450, PQ30, PQ70)

i'm open to everyone's opinion (not just BLASTO) :)

i'll be watching my tv from 14-15 feet
the actual distance of the sofa from my current 29" CRT tv is 16-17 feet.
i won't mind adjusting the distance for watching HD movies.

i want to know how HD 720p & 1080p look on the plasmas (B450, PQ30, PQ70)

i'm open to everyone's opinion (not just BLASTO) :)

i'll be watching my tv from 14-15 feet
the actual distance of the sofa from my current 29" CRT tv is 16-17 feet.
i won't mind adjusting the distance for watching HD movies.

For both, B450 should be better than the LG ones.

For 14-15 ft, a 50" will be better even though 42" will do (my viewing distance is 13 and I find 42" just adequate).

For both, B450 should be better than the LG ones.

For 14-15 ft, a 50" will be better even though 42" will do (my viewing distance is 13 and I find 42" just adequate).

my actual viewing distance is 17 ft. so i think the 50" is best.
have you tried HD movies?

i'm a bit confused.
i did the math on price + power consumption(10 years) for a plasma & lcd:
plasma 50" @ 60k
lcd 42"LED/46"normal @ 85k

i checked cnet's power consumption comparison & did the calculation.
For the above parameters it comes out to be: (with 9-10 hours of daily usage)
plasma 50" - 1.18L
lcd 42"LED/46"normal - 1.11L

so only a difference of 7k.

now my options are:
Samsung B450 50"
LG 42SL90
Sony 46W550A

which one should i go for, taking into account that it will remain for a long time??

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back