42" TV Advice

Ok guys...I spent the last few days reading a lot more on this forum and now I am atleast 1% more smart than I was before :)

I watch lots of movies/tv series downloaded from net on my laptop and really wanted to stream all those stuffs from my pogoplug to my "smart" tv. However, what I realize now is that I am better of with a wifi HD media player rather than going for a "smart tv". And 3D is kind of not important.

What I am still confused about is if to go for a 32" or a 40+" TV. The confusion is because about 50% of the content that I am going to watch is going to be SD. Since I have the budget (now reduced to 50k for TV and 7k for HD media player). I can go for HD 40/42 inch TV. But I really have no intentions of upgrading from cable settop box to DTH.

Can anyone please tell me the viewable screen size(lxb) of a 32" TV. This will really help me get an idea how much more screen space I will get over a conventional flat CTV.

Also, what would you guys suggest..go for a 32" or a 42" TV?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mohit

nothing less than 42!!!

nothing less than 42!!!
Spot on!

A 16:9 32" TV is no bigger than a 4:3 29" CRT - check the viewable area. For SD content, there should be no reason to go to a 32" LCD. The picture quality is worse, the contrast is worse, motion resolution/performance is worse, colour accuracy is worse, etc. The only two good things of 32" LCD/LED is that it will consume way less amount of power and will be thin.

So go with 42". After a year, even 42" will appear too small.

Hi

I just saw Philips LED 42 inch 7900 series...on Videocond2h HD...the TV looked awesome..SD was also okay...but HD was too good...also it seems some free HD subscription is also available with this series...you might want to have a look at that piece as well...

Hi Ninja,

The new LED Philips TV specs are fantastic and I thought of buying them. The price is very good for a current generation passive 3D LED TV. The panel is from LG. But now that, they are not able to sell any TVs in India eventhough some shops have them. People wont buy at all. On top of that, the recent official news , is they have globally stopped TV business and is slowlly ramping down. so, no more NEW models, or future software support from philips. The ones in the website are the LAST models of philips. This DDB thing is another un necessary nightmare from Philips INDIA office. Now they know that they wont be working on this to expand to 3D, cloud storage etc. Videcon d2h still needs a separate box
with this TV. So DDB is no use to the customer now. So, if some body doesnt know all these, the shop guy can fool the customer. I wonder, after a few years, no part at all available through customer service and I have to throw the peice to garbage.

Any ones else thoughts are welcome ..

HG

Last edited:
Once in Croma, I was looking at multiple TVs. I found that Philips LED TV was better than most others in the 40-42", 60-70k bracket. At that time, I felt that it was better than EX650 also.

Once in Croma, I was looking at multiple TVs. I found that Philips LED TV was better than most others in the 40-42", 60-70k bracket. At that time, I felt that it was better than EX650 also.

Phillips leds have top quality picture processing engines. But dont know why the multibrand stores wont promote them much like they do for LG.
They themselves discourage the consumers saying that after sales is bad.
My brother owns a 32 inch phillips bought 5 years ago and it still works fine.
The pq is very good though it is 720p.

I recently purchased philips 32 inch 6357 led tv.The picture quality is very good and black appears as black.The specs are very fantastic for the price paid.After sales is handled by videocon.Infact Philips tv are manufactured by videocon and marketed by them.

I recently purchased philips 32 inch 6357 led tv.The picture quality is very good and black appears as black.The specs are very fantastic for the price paid.After sales is handled by videocon.Infact Philips tv are manufactured by videocon and marketed by them.

Congratulations on your purchase. How much did you pay for it?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back