42" TV Advice

amohit

Hi All,

I got introduced to this forum just a few days back, when I started searching for a good LED TV. Did go thru lots of threads here and they have really helped straighten up a few things.
Even though there are lots of threads here talking about similar things that I am going to ask, but they have left me in a big confusing state.

My requirements are

1. Watch SD content for no more than 2 hrs a day. Weekends may be like 4 hrs of news, movies or TV serials.

2. Most of the movies that we watch are on laptop and are not in HD. This is something that I would like to watch on the new TV and may be watch the HD stuff.

3. No gaming. Have got Wii and have no interest in going for PS3, or XBox kind of stuff. You know, I'm too old for all that kind of adrenaline rush :)

4. Open to 3D, but not a hard requirement.

5. Don't care about "Smart TV". I have got a basic version of WDTV lying around and I believe, using some mods and a usb wifi dongle of some kind, I can get it on LAN network and make it read stuff off my NAS.

6. Budget 60k.

7. Max TV size 42". Viewing distance is 6ft.

8. Can go for LED/LCD/Plasma

Edit: 9: Looking for purchase within next 3 months.

I have not demoed any of the TVs yet. I do not have much faith on the demo as (a) Each dealer has their favorite TV brand and they tune it for best picture settings and (b) They all have HD connection, which is not going to be my primary content type.

Hence, I need help from experts here to shortlist a few TVs and then I will go and demo only those selected models.

Sincerely appreciate your help.

Regards,
Mohit

Last edited:
You have not stated the budget.

While demo'ing, you can ask the salesman to switch to HD channels and then SD channels. Don't go by what salesman says, judge the PQ based on your perceptions alone. Look at the SD performance and that will give you a fair idea of PQ. You may not see many plasma models in multi-brand showrooms - for that you may have to visit Panasonic, Sansung and LG showrooms maybe. Plasma will appear dull in the brightly lit showrooms.

Suggested models:

LED: Sony HX750/HX850, Samsung 6/7 Series (8 Series, if you can afford), LG LM6700 or above, Toshiba, Sharp, etc.
Plasma: Panasonic ST50 (if available - the best TV around) else UT50, Samsung, etc.

You have not stated the budget.

Suggested models:

LED: Sony HX750/HX850, Samsung 6/7 Series (8 Series, if you can afford), LG LM6700 or above, Toshiba, Sharp, etc.
Plasma: Panasonic ST50 (if available - the best TV around) else UT50, Samsung, etc.

Budget: 60k max. (stated in point 6 above)

The models that you have suggested support 3D. Going by the information on this forum, I decided that 3D is something that can be give a miss.

Anyway, the two models that I had shortlisted before I hit this forum were:

LG 42LM6700 and Pana 42ET5D. But both of these are above my stated budget and are passive 3d.

Regards,
Mohit

Budget: 60k max. (stated in point 6 above)

The models that you have suggested support 3D. Going by the information on this forum, I decided that 3D is something that can be give a miss.

Anyway, the two models that I had shortlisted before I hit this forum were:

LG 42LM6700 and Pana 42ET5D. But both of these are above my stated budget and are passive 3d.

Regards,
Mohit

Sorry. Missed the budget point. I am suggesting TVs based on best PQ. 3D is something to be taken as a bonus. Panasonic 42UT50 is brilliant and fits your budget.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Panasonic UT50 would be the best in your budget. It is almost as good as the ST50 which is one of the BEST tv's in the market beating many of its competitors. Unfortunately most mid level tv's come with 3D take it or leave it. If you don't want it, just dismiss it.

If you don't really need 3D, would make no point going for Lg passive 3D........would make sense if you want to watch lot of 3D content. They are great for 3D but not that great for 2D.

Ok guys...I spent the last few days reading a lot more on this forum and now I am atleast 1% more smart than I was before :)

I watch lots of movies/tv series downloaded from net on my laptop and really wanted to stream all those stuffs from my pogoplug to my "smart" tv. However, what I realize now is that I am better of with a wifi HD media player rather than going for a "smart tv". And 3D is kind of not important.

What I am still confused about is if to go for a 32" or a 40+" TV. The confusion is because about 50% of the content that I am going to watch is going to be SD. Since I have the budget (now reduced to 50k for TV and 7k for HD media player). I can go for HD 40/42 inch TV. But I really have no intentions of upgrading from cable settop box to DTH.

Can anyone please tell me the viewable screen size(lxb) of a 32" TV. This will really help me get an idea how much more screen space I will get over a conventional flat CTV.

Also, what would you guys suggest..go for a 32" or a 42" TV?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mohit

Go for 42". It is not big as you think. Watch it from 8 - 10 feet.

Whether to go for a 32" or a 42" TV ?
It all depends on your viewing distance from TV. How far are you going to be seated

Calculator says 42". Heart also says 42". So, 42" HD it is going to be.

Any idea when are the 2013 models for Panasonic Plasma coming to India?
I am kind of inclined towards the Plasma screen for its PQ.

Edit: The 2013 Plasma thread on this forum and some other threads elsewhere at times indicate that Plasma technology is about to get obsolete. I am really not sure, if I want to spend 50k on something that may not be there next year onwards :(

Regards,
Mohit

Last edited:

Edit: The 2013 Plasma thread on this forum and some other threads elsewhere at times indicate that Plasma technology is about to get obsolete. I am really not sure, if I want to spend 50k on something that may not be there next year onwards :(

Regards,
Mohit

Yeah. So what? Look at it this way. There are quite a few cases of people who reported that their TV panel developed severe fault and it could not be repaired, regardless whether the TV was LCD/LED or plasma. The cost of panel replacement is nearly 70% of the TV cost. If the TV is under warranty, the panel will be replaced free of cost; if spare parts are not available, you get a new TV in exchange. If TV is out of warranty, you have to bear the cost. Naturally, in this situation, no one goes for panel replacement as it is more sensible to buy a new TV.

However, cases of panel failure are rare and definitely NOT as many as they seem. On the web, you may see a few cases. But that is because people will report failures only. None say, year after year, that "Yes, my TV and it's panel is working perfectly". Only bad news makes it to the front. But just in case, you are the one of the ones who suffers from misfortunes, remember that Panasonic is giving a 3 year panel warranty; so you have no cause to worry at least for three years.

Panel technology keeps changing. There is no guarantee that people who purchased a TV 5 years ago will get the similar panel today, whether LCD/LED or plasma. And for the reasons mentioned above, you may not seek to pay for repairs anyway. The point is, just because LCD technology is alive, that does not mean much. I was owner of LG crt 29" in 2001. The eht developed fault in 2006 and LG said that part is not available any more. My TV was gathering dust for eight months before the EHT was imported from Singapore. Can people who purchases the Samsung A series, Sony S series, Lg scarlet, and other such LCD feel safe that if anything happens, the spares are ready and available, especially in these days of just-in-time inventory?

Last edited:

Regards,
Mohit
As somebody here pointed out earlier, did KURO lose its charm even after it was discontinued? Still it is regarded as the best plasma one could dream of.
Weighing pros and cons too much for ex technologies etc will lead you no-where.
Just go to a muti-brand shop and look for TVs in 50k budget. Play SD, better carry a USB stick with some reference SD/HD content.
Which ever appeals to you the most is the best TV.

"Vini Vidi Vici-I came, I saw, I bought"--Julius Ceasor(I guess).:)

Just go to a muti-brand shop and look for TVs in 50k budget. Play SD, better carry a USB stick with some reference SD/HD content.
Which ever appeals to you the most is the best TV.

"Vini Vidi Vici-I came, I saw, I bought"--Julius Ceasor(I guess).:)

It would be "Veni Vidi Emi" :D

Other than that, I agree with the sensible advice :)

Yep. I guess you guys are right. Life is now so much simpler, since I have now narrowed down to 42" Panasonic Plasma under 50k :)

But will still wait for the 2013 models to come in.

Appreciate all your advices.

Regards,
Mohit

Hi Amohit, I found one of the best TV, that may match your requirements, Sony Bravia Klv-42ex410 Full HD LED TV, and that's within the budget you needed, I hope you will love the specifications.

Hi Amohit, I found one of the best TV, that may match your requirements, Sony Bravia Klv-42ex410 Full HD LED TV, and that's within the budget you needed, I hope you will love the specifications.

KLV-42EX430 is the one that we saw in Croma this weekend. Btw, also had a look at Panasonic 42UT50D and Panasonic 42XT50D. 42UT50D was quoted 60k and 42XT50D was 50k. 42EX430 was priced at 54k, but I guess, I can get it for little cheaper at stores other than Croma.

Worst thing..I did not find any noticeable difference in quality :(

Regards,

KLV-42EX430 is the one that we saw in Croma this weekend. Btw, also had a look at Panasonic 42UT50D and Panasonic 42XT50D. 42UT50D was quoted 60k and 42XT50D was 50k. 42EX430 was priced at 54k, but I guess, I can get it for little cheaper at stores other than Croma.

Worst thing..I did not find any noticeable difference in quality :(

Regards,

The flipside - that may be the best thing! You can have peace of mind with whatever you decide to buy, instead of worrying about your next upgrade!

Dont buy hd tv and waste the money

you cant even watch sd channels in good quality

HD channels = SD channels in CRT TV.

Watch 200+ SD channels > 20+ HD Channels in HDTV

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back