4K Blu-ray player or 4K Apple TV

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Finally I have decided, as of now I will settle for Apple TV 4K. Later, say after few months or weeks ;), will buy a blu-ray player. This will help me to enjoy the best of both worlds.

One more question, in terms of blu-ray player, is there a significant difference between standard vs high-end player vs console (say between sony ubp x700 vs Panasonic UB820 vs Xbox One x).
Hello...in terms of Bluray player, the differences are usually in build quality, playback experience and tone mapping of HDR content. As you pay more, these get better, especially build quality. Panasonic is known to have best tone mapping for HDR content, which includes ub820. Good tone mapping will help in extreme scenes (dark or bright) in a movie. But for untrained eyes, it will be difficult to notice Unless it is played side by side and you know where to look for differences. Xbox is like a jack of all trades, playing almost everything you throw at it. Sometimes for some newly released movies, it has issues with tone mapping, but gets a software update to tackle that. This is important only if you pick up the Bluray disc on day 1. Sony player is also good but it's Dolby vision implementation is not user friendly and is plasticky build. I must also admit that although ubp820 has better build quality than x700, it is also plasticky and very light weight player.

Do also note that tv also has its own HDR tone mapping, but if the player does a good job of tone mapping, TV has to do less to no work further.

Hope this clarifies

Cheers
Siju

Back