4K Digital Cinema with Active shutter 3D in Bangalore

madhavk8

I created this thread to inform our Bangalore patrons about the newly renovated Urvashi Digital Digital 4k Cinema.

They have installed Cristie 4K projection with Xpand 3D Active Shutter glasses and Meyer Sound Exp. The result is totally insane !! It takes 3D movie watching to a whole new level. :licklips::licklips:

4k with active shutter makes even inox n pvr screens look like crt :)

Even they are releasing few old movies which were shot in 4k but were not released in 4k in india before. I watched Dark Knight in native 4k a few weeks back which was re-released out there. I think they are gonna release even more native 4k movies in the future.

So i recommend all AV enthusiasts to go watch 3D movies out there !! 4k + active shutter in cinema is insane !!! :clapping:

Great News.... Digital Cinema is the future .. future of Film is limited !!

Even other places have digital but most of them only 2k and use polarized glasses for 3d.
4k has 4 times resolution of 2k and active shutter together gives solid 3d experience :)

Even other places have digital but most of them only 2k and use polarized glasses for 3d.
4k has 4 times resolution of 2k and active shutter together gives solid 3d experience :)

I thought PVRs were always 4k, is that not true?

I thought IMAX 3D was supposed to be the best experience when it came to cinema !
I guess I need to come to B'lore for the ultimate experience :)

BTW, how big is the screen ? The IMAX here is about 92*72 feet.

4k is more a paper spec than anything right now - no content is made in 4k. I work for a top hollywood animation studio and all content is still 1920x1080 in stereo. Might change in future but as of now, the rendering horsepower required for 2k itself is just insane let alone 4k.

Last edited:
4k is more a paper spec than anything right now - no content is made in 4k. I work for a top hollywood animation studio and all content is still 1920x1080 in stereo. Might change in the but as of now, the rendering horsepower required for 2k itself is just insane let alone 4k.

Even though most content is shot in 2k 3D, what i have experienced is that the watching upscaled 2k on a 4k screen is far more superior than watching it on a 2k screen.

Also combine xpand active shutter glasses with triple flash technology and also the Meyer Sound system is excellent and all of these add up and take the experience to a higher level is what i have experienced out there.

Well this is based on my perception and some of you might disagree but i feel all AV enthusiasts in Bangalore must once check out once.

FYI the Puss in Boots 3D premiere in India happened in Urvashi in Bangalore and Dreamworks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg attended it!!

Awesome.:clapping::clapping: Was PIB created natively in 4k? Or was upscaled 4k shown in the premiere? What is your opinion of urvashi 3D PQ compared to pvr, inox etc?

It was 2k and I guess the projector was upscaling to 4k. Urvashi is the best we have in bangalore but the image quality in our screening room in the studio is significantly better. We use color calibrated Barco projectors which again are 4k capable but run at 2k.

@cmsajith: Yes I know Dinesh ofcourse.

It was 2k and I guess the projector was upscaling to 4k. Urvashi is the best we have in bangalore but the image quality in our screening room in the studio is significantly better. We use color calibrated Barco projectors which again are 4k capable but run at 2k.

@cmsajith: Yes I know Dinesh ofcourse.

He is a friend of mine and we were discussing about the screening of this movie a few days back.

4k is more a paper spec than anything right now - no content is made in 4k. I work for a top hollywood animation studio and all content is still 1920x1080 in stereo. Might change in future but as of now, the rendering horsepower required for 2k itself is just insane let alone 4k.
Are you kidding about 4k being a paper spec? Even today, at least 95% of all movies are shot on 35mm film. Basically the same 'film', which has been used for at least seventy years now. Although, there is no direct equivalent of a resolution measurement for 35mm film, it is estimated that 35mm film has at least a resolution of 8k and in fact some technical papers, estimate that it takes a resolution of 16 - 20 mega pixels for a digital image to equal 35mm film. Today in Hollywood, all film to digital transfers are at least in 4k and some are as high as 8k. Please, let's not use obsolete bollywood standards as a parameter for any educated discussion. Almost all digital theaters in the US, screening hollywood movies, are 4k equipped and they show 4k material without any up-scaling. The fact is, India, as always, started using 2k digital projection, when the world had already moved on to 4k digital projection. The worse part is, that the like's of PVR, actually have the gall to advertise this as something to be proud of. 2K digital is what we have in our homes and that's about all it is now good for. In fact, Sony and JVC have recently introduced 4K projectors for the home and although there is currently no delivery medium for 4K in the home, as per all reports the results of upscaling a 2K picture to 4K on these projectors is nothing less than stunning.

PS: Even movies shot in digital, are now shot in 4k and above resolutions. Let's not use some low budget indie films as a barometer. In fact, movies such as Hobbit and the next Spider-Man are being shot with Red cameras in 5K 48fps.

Last edited:
Are you kidding about 4k being a paper spec? Even today, at least 95% of all movies are shot on 35mm film. Basically the same 'film', which has been used for at least seventy years now. Although, there is no direct equivalent of a resolution measurement for 35mm film, it is estimated that 35mm film has at least a resolution of 8k and in fact some technical papers, estimate that it takes a resolution of 16 - 20 mega pixels for a digital image to equal 35mm film. Today in Hollywood, all film to digital transfers are at least in 4k and some are as high as 8k. Please, let's not use obsolete bollywood standards as a parameter for any educated discussion. Almost all digital theaters in the US, screening hollywood movies, are 4k equipped and they show 4k material without any up-scaling. The fact is, India, as always, started using 2k digital projection, when the world had already moved on to 4k digital projection. The worse part is, that the like is PVR actually have the gall to advertise this as something to be proud of. 2K digital is what we have in our homes and that's about all it is good for.

PS: Even movies shot in digital, are now shot in 4k and above resolutions. Let's not use some low budget indie films as a barometer. In fact, movies such as Hobbit and the next Spider-Man are being shot with Red cameras in 5K 48fps.

Bollywood studio? We are talking about the biggest hollywood animation studio here and no we don't render anything above 1920x1080 other than promotional material. Are Mad2, Shrek4, Kungfu Panda 2, Puss in Boots, How to train your dragon low budget indie films? I know for certain that all pixar movies are rendered at 1080p as well and their blurays are just direct to digital conversions of the source material.

Films that are shot in 35mm are a different matter altogether. The negative can be scanned at whatever resolution one may please.

To add to the above, red cameras shoot at 4k, but most of those movies are not distributed in 4k. Social network was the first movie to be distributed at 4k. But again just having a 4k projector doesn't mean you'll get 4k resolution. The back end server also has to be 4k and there are very very few theaters that actually have that.

Also 4k 3D movies that exist on paper right now are all post processed not natively 4k 3D.

Last edited:
Bollywood studio? We are talking about the biggest hollywood animation studio here and no we don't render anything above 1920x1080 other than promotional material. Are Mad2, Shrek4, Kungfu Panda 2, Puss in Boots, How to train your dragon low budget indie films? I know for certain that all pixar movies are rendered at 1080p as well and their blurays are just direct to digital conversions of the source material.

Films that are shot in 35mm are a different matter altogether. The negative can be scanned at whatever resolution one may please.

Were you around when we rendered the promo standee for Mad2? That made 4K look like a postage stamp. Apart from that, obviously, you are correct. I cannot imagine 4K becoming viable in the near future. The rendering overhead is seriously prohibitive.

Sajith - DK is kinda hard to miss, no? :lol:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back