4K Dolby Vision issues

vkalia

Hi all -

Need some help with getting 4k Dolby Vision from my AVR (a Denon AVR-X1500H, all of whose HDMI ports are supposed 4k/Dolby Vision compliant).

I have an Apple TV unit plugged into the Media Player port of my Denon AVR-X1700H, and the output port from the receiver goes into the HDMI/ARC port (HDMI1) of my 58" Panasonic TV (2021 model). In this mode, I do not get anything more than 4k/SDR. I do get Dolby Vision, but only at a HD resolution.
- When i try setting the Apple TV resolution to 4k/Dolby Vision, it says to check my HDMI cables
- When i try setting the Apply TV resolution to 4k/HDR, it says to check the TV status to bright or something like that.

I have tried the above by plugging the Apple TV unit into a different port (the BluRay one), and i have also tried plugging the output from the AVR into the TV's HDMI1 port. Same problem.

However, when i plug the Apple TV unit directly to the HDMI port of my TV, and then take a return feed from the TV'S HDMI1 port to my AVR, i am getting 4k/Dolby Vision - no issues.

So:
- both ports of my TV are fine with 4k/DV
- both the cables are perfectly fine with 4k/DV
- it is when i route the feed from the AppleTV to the receiver to the TV that things fall apart.

Any idea what could be causing this or how to fix this so that I can route the video through the AVR as well? Routing through the TV works, but my OCD is bothered by it.

Worst case, if i cannot find a fix, will there be any issues with getting Dolby Atmos if i route it the way it currently (return feed from TV feeding my AVR)?

TIA!

Hi all -

Need some help with getting 4k Dolby Vision from my AVR (a Denon AVR-X1500H, all of whose HDMI ports are supposed 4k/Dolby Vision compliant).

I have an Apple TV unit plugged into the Media Player port of my Denon AVR-X1700H, and the output port from the receiver goes into the HDMI/ARC port (HDMI1) of my 58" Panasonic TV (2021 model). In this mode, I do not get anything more than 4k/SDR. I do get Dolby Vision, but only at a HD resolution.
- When i try setting the Apple TV resolution to 4k/Dolby Vision, it says to check my HDMI cables
- When i try setting the Apply TV resolution to 4k/HDR, it says to check the TV status to bright or something like that.

I have tried the above by plugging the Apple TV unit into a different port (the BluRay one), and i have also tried plugging the output from the AVR into the TV's HDMI1 port. Same problem.

However, when i plug the Apple TV unit directly to the HDMI port of my TV, and then take a return feed from the TV'S HDMI1 port to my AVR, i am getting 4k/Dolby Vision - no issues.

So:
- both ports of my TV are fine with 4k/DV
- both the cables are perfectly fine with 4k/DV
- it is when i route the feed from the AppleTV to the receiver to the TV that things fall apart.

Any idea what could be causing this or how to fix this so that I can route the video through the AVR as well? Routing through the TV works, but my OCD is bothered by it.

Worst case, if i cannot find a fix, will there be any issues with getting Dolby Atmos if i route it the way it currently (return feed from TV feeding my AVR)?

TIA!
Select in apple tv 4k settings dolbyvision 30Hz.
You will get dolbyvision

Select in apple tv 4k settings dolbyvision 30Hz.
You will get dolbyvision

I am getting 4k/50Hz if i plug through directly. Is 30Hz the best that is possible for routing through the AVR? Is that because this is an older AVR and so limited in throughput?

And would that 30Hz be an issue in image smoothness and quality of video playback? (I could just swap and check but the cables are damn hard to get to, and i have a sports injury in the eye that has the better view of the cables, so it is a little difficult for me to keep swapping back and forth -- so feedback would be appreciated)

So i found the solution.

I had been focusing on the receiver, as the problem was happening the moment i routed the video through it - whereas, on a direct connection from the AppleTV to the TV, i was getting the 4k/50p DV signal without issue.

However, when rooting through the TV's HDMI settings, i switched it from 1.4 to 2.0 - and that did it. I am getting 4k/50p through the receiver without any problems.

What i dont understand is how i was getting the 4k/50p DV signal directly from the AppleTV when my TV was set to HDMI1,4....

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back