4k + HDR + 55": 50-80k Dilemma!

harryneopotter

Hello Guys,

Yes, I know this horse has been beaten to death here, but I am still not able to decide so needed to post this query again.

I am looking finally get a TV for my room and not able to decide which one to go for. Here are the details:

Primary Usage: 4k content (Netflix, Youtube, Prime, Hotstar and 4k Rips from USB).

Usage - Barely 1 hour per day on weekdays and a few more on weekends.

Current Display - Using Dell Ultrasharp 23" on my desktop (12-14 hours a day).

Reason - Need something bigger to consume media content (and a reason to get off my computer chair earlier than usual).

So the question is, should stay at 50-55k and get a VU/Iffalkon or increase the budget to 70-80k and get a LG/Samsung/Panasonic. Will there be a significant improvement in the video experience if go for the second option? Or will I lose out on anything if I go with the cheaper route?

The budget is stretched already as I will need a soundbar/set of speakers to truly enjoy movies.

And I have gone through similar threads and no one seems to be bothered about the refresh rate (60 Hz vs 100/120 Hz). Does RR not matter for movies and media consumption? Is 60Hz enough for such kind of usage?

Every and all replies will be appreciated. Thank you for your time :)

Ask yourself, if u had 80k, would u still buy a vu for 50k? It's all about the budget. Good luck!

Vu is VA panel... with a lower grade panel the quality is never going to be great.

Go with IPS panel.

For 80K you'll get LG, Panasonic, and Samsung in your sights.

Or the Mi TV 4 or TCL for 45,000 to 50,000.

Ask yourself, if u had 80k, would u still buy a vu for 50k? It's all about the budget. Good luck!

Done this already. Turns out, I am not knowledgeable enough to answer this myself. I do not know where VU/Iffalcon TVs stand in comparison to LG/Samsung/Panasonic (entry level, i.e. <80k). I also do not know if there is any significant display quality difference between these brands. Even here, I see more threads catering to TVs from Ifalcon/TCL/VU in compared to LG/Samsung in this budget (<80k).

It is not about the budget, but the VFM which I am looking for. VU is a good TV for its price (as per the other threads). But are TVs from LG/Samsung worth the difference of 30k that they charge over it? Or is it just for the Snob/Brand value, that these TVs cost more?

Hope you understand my conundrum here.

It is not about the budget, but the VFM which I am looking for. VU is a good TV for its price (as per the other threads). But are TVs from LG/Samsung worth the difference of 30k that they charge over it? Or is it just for the Snob/Brand value, that these TVs cost more?
Why don't you simply tke a USB/BD/UHaD disc and play it on a VU and LG/ comparable screens ? See which picture you like better. ( ensure you set the picture rightness etc to a comparable level)You do not appear to watch sports- so the refresh rate may not really matter. Ultimately, it is how comfortable you are on spending the additional money that will influence your decision.

Why don't you simply tke a USB/BD/UHaD disc and play it on a VU and LG/ comparable screens ? See which picture you like better. ( ensure you set the picture rightness etc to a comparable level)You do not appear to watch sports- so the refresh rate may not really matter. Ultimately, it is how comfortable you are on spending the additional money that will influence your decision.

Thank you for your insight. But as someone who has not used any other display than a Dell ultrasharp monitor for the last 8 years or so, I do not consider myself qualified to do the comparison and judge which one is better. This is the reason why I am posting in this esteemed forum for advise.

I do watch sports (if you can call Cricket a sport) once in a blue moon. But I am fond of action and superhero movies, so I am hopting 60Hz is enough for that.

Obviously, I would want to spend only as much as I need to without the regret that I have made a wrong purchase. More than the wallet, I need to convince my mind that the additional dough is worth spending in this case (if that IS the case).

Hope it clears it up a bit, my dilemma.

Thank you for your insight. But as someone who has not used any other display than a Dell ultrasharp monitor for the last 8 years or so, I do not consider myself qualified to do the comparison and judge which one is better. This is the reason why I am posting in this esteemed forum for advise.

I do watch sports (if you can call Cricket a sport) once in a blue moon. But I am fond of action and superhero movies, so I am hopting 60Hz is enough for that.

Obviously, I would want to spend only as much as I need to without the regret that I have made a wrong purchase. More than the wallet, I need to convince my mind that the additional dough is worth spending in this case (if that IS the case).

As you mentioned that you have not watched anything other than your Dell monitor, I will suggest to go with VU Pixelight HDR series ( hope it's in stock). I recently moved from my 32" Sony to VU TV and I was in the exact position as you. And finally I made the call of not to invest a lot in branded TV. And I will say, I haven't regretted for the decision I made. If you want to be very critical, you can nit pick between Sony and VU. But in your case, since you have been only on Dell , I highly doubt you will be complaining about VU.

Budget permits buy a LG/Samsung/Sony. Far better quality. There is a reason why they cost more. And it's not only marketing or overhead costs etc. It's a better product. Period.

But if not, then a vu TCL etc will also be fine. If budget really doesn't matter, don't think twice. Buy a premium brand.

If vfm matters, then buy the vu TCL etc. One of our members here has a vu 55 and has done an in-depth review. And it's a very good TV.

Same here . Want to buy 55 inch 4k. But it should be 100hrtz refresh rate
I think it's either 60 or 120hz nothing inbetween. I could be wrong. Then again, for 50k u will get what u pay for. And definitely not a true 120hz TV.

Based on your usage you need an IPS grade panel... stay away from Vu, they are cheap VA panels. No fast action scenes or sports will look good on it.

The rest celester340 has made valid observations... you do get what you pay for.

As you mentioned that you have not watched anything other than your Dell monitor, I will suggest to go with VU Pixelight HDR series ( hope it's in stock). I recently moved from my 32" Sony to VU TV and I was in the exact position as you. And finally I made the call of not to invest a lot in branded TV. And I will say, I haven't regretted for the decision I made. If you want to be very critical, you can nit pick between Sony and VU. But in your case, since you have been only on Dell , I highly doubt you will be complaining about VU.
Dell makes premium monitors... with IPS panels.

How can you surmise that a VA panel from VU will look better?

Vu should only be an option for the budget, not picture quality.

No gamer or designer will even consider VA... gamers will even veer towards TN. IPS is the best there is, especially for media viewing.

Did you check out Panasonic's 4k offering in Flipkart - 43" @ 33k - check larger screen sizes (but wait till omnitech retail lists a stock in your area for better price) It specifies a 100hz refresh rate.

Dell makes premium monitors... with IPS panels.

How can you surmise that a VA panel from VU will look better?

Vu should only be an option for the budget, not picture quality.

No gamer or designer will even consider VA... gamers will even veer towards TN. IPS is the best there is, especially for media viewing.

I summarized because i have the VU 50 inches at my home and i watch movies in it. i seriously didn't find any much difference unless u go and sit very close to the TV to find faults. Its awesome for the 38k i paid. My hunt for 4k TV's been going for like 6 months and I have checked out all the 4K TV's by Sony, Samsung and LG. So out of the experience and his requirements, i will still VU is a good buy.

Recently I have purchased Sony 55x9000e after entensive search of 55" 4k TV. It took me about 2 months to finalize and purchased, so from my experience picture quality varies with cost . Low cost TV will never match the picture, build quality of pricer brand like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG. You may get sufficient features on low cost TV but will not get the picture quality for which these technologies and TV are meant for. Watching 4K on Sony is just a mesmerising experience. You will certainly delighted with the depth,vivid colours, poping images etc and will justify the price you paid. Upscaling of FHD to 4K work better on these TV . So if you have a budget of 80k, don't think anything below that. Now video technology has take such a long jump with 4k, HDR 10, DV, HLG, that watching a movie is becoming experience and with the easy use of streaming services it becomes affordable.

Budget permits buy a LG/Samsung/Sony. Far better quality. There is a reason why they cost more. And it's not only marketing or overhead costs etc. It's a better product. Period.

But if not, then a vu TCL etc will also be fine. If budget really doesn't matter, don't think twice. Buy a premium brand.

If vfm matters, then buy the vu TCL etc. One of our members here has a vu 55 and has done an in-depth review. And it's a very good TV.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Based on your usage you need an IPS grade panel... stay away from Vu, they are cheap VA panels. No fast action scenes or sports will look good on it.

The rest celester340 has made valid observations... you do get what you pay for.

Understood. Thank you :)

Did you check out Panasonic's 4k offering in Flipkart - 43" @ 33k - check larger screen sizes (but wait till omnitech retail lists a stock in your area for better price) It specifies a 100hz refresh rate.

So Panasonic is in the same league as Sony/LG/Samsung when it comes to picture/display quality? I will consider this then :)

Thank you.

Recently I have purchased Sony 55x9000e after entensive search of 55" 4k TV. It took me about 2 months to finalize and purchased, so from my experience picture quality varies with cost . Low cost TV will never match the picture, build quality of pricer brand like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG. You may get sufficient features on low cost TV but will not get the picture quality for which these technologies and TV are meant for. Watching 4K on Sony is just a mesmerising experience. You will certainly delighted with the depth,vivid colours, poping images etc and will justify the price you paid. Upscaling of FHD to 4K work better on these TV . So if you have a budget of 80k, don't think anything below that. Now video technology has take such a long jump with 4k, HDR 10, DV, HLG, that watching a movie is becoming experience and with the easy use of streaming services it becomes affordable.

Thank you very much for your input. Really helped :)

i have mi tv 55 inch and Lg 43 inch old picture quality is not that much difference but maybe lg is 3 years old

Difference is mainly in differnt type of panel like comparing ips,va & oled there is a slight difference b/w mi & lg if panel is va or ips but if panel is oled or qled difference is very much noticable b/w cheap brand & premium brand

Back