5.1.4 dolby atmos setup with yamaha or polk?

girg

Hi folks

I am planning to build up my home theatre system. Would like to know your thoughts/suggestions on the following configs for a 11ft X 12 ft room with 5.1.4 config and the seating at the back wall.

Config 1: Polk with Onkyo
AVR: Onkyo TX-RZ 730
Center: Polk T30
Front Left/Right: Polk T50
Surround Left/Right: Polk T15
Front height: Polk OWM3
Top rear: Polk Rc60i
Sub: Polk PSW10

Config 1: Yamaha with Onkyo
Front Left/Right: Yamaha NS-F71
Surround Left/Right/Center: Yamaha NS-P51
Sub: Yamaha NS-SW200/NS-SW300

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining.
And good luck with your setup search. I'm sure you will find some useful tips on here.

I am planning to build up my home theatre system. Would like to know your thoughts/suggestions on the following configs for a 11ft X 12 ft room with 5.1.4 config and the seating at the back wall.

If identical speakers interests you, try and use 9 identical bookshelf all around the room, including center channel.. Choosing a bookshelf speaker with wall mount & threaded insert gives greater flexibility w.r.t mounting with brackets and tilting towards listening position when it demands..

The sound signature would remain consistent all around the room..

Hi folks

Thanks for your help!
If you can share budget and your room layout we can look at other options as well.

If identical speakers interests you, try and use 9 identical bookshelf all around the room, including center channel.. Choosing a bookshelf speaker with wall mount & threaded insert gives greater flexibility w.r.t mounting with brackets and tilting towards listening position when it demands..

Does atmos need to be powerful as fronts?

I got Boston acoustics Soundware xs cubes. Yet to setup with Marantz 6012. Hope it should be fine. (just a random choice for small speaker for ceiling mount)

Hi folks

Thanks for your help!
If you have the budget, follow what other fellow members have suggested above. Else, get OWM3 for surrounds and Atmos and try to squeeze in some money for Polk RTi series for LCR. They will be worth the upgrade.

Given the room dimensions, either FS or SW is more than sufficient for bass. If I were you, I would go for a good satellite package, wall mount the speakers, go for small sealed subs (as the room gain would help). Although, I think 5.1.4 is achievable but it might not be better than 5.1.2 as seating is up against the wall. Cutting down on FS and two atmos would help you invest money in better subs/cables/acoustic treatment.
What is going to be your display? TV or Projector?

I was thinking to go for in ceiling speakers for the rear height, since the seating would be right below it. I am ok with having different speakers. Different left and right for sure. Front height can be identical though.

If you can share budget and your room layout we can look at other options as well.

Lets see if this layout image works.

The room is 12ft (side to side) X 11ft (front to back) x 10ft (height)

With in ceilings
1576597874942.png

Without in ceiling (w/ rear heights)
1576600313081.png

Attachments

• 1576600278691.png
    1576600278691.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Given the room dimensions, either FS or SW is more than sufficient for bass. If I were you, I would go for a good satellite package, wall mount the speakers, go for small sealed subs (as the room gain would help). Although, I think 5.1.4 is achievable but it might not be better than 5.1.2 as seating is up against the wall. Cutting down on FS and two atmos would help you invest money in better subs/cables/acoustic treatment.
What is going to be your display? TV or Projector?

My display would be a TV only. Thought about projector, but won't suffice in my case.

My display would be a TV only. Thought about projector, but won't suffice in my case.
Ok my room also exactly similar to yours. One thing I want to know is if it’s a dedicated room? Plan dual subwoofers. A good 5.2 set up will any day beat a compromised 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 set up and you can always set up atmos later on.Polk T series are very basic and I don’t think it will give the soundstage you expect. Which part of India you are from? If you are from CHENNAI or south I can help you get AVR for a very good price.

Ok my room also exactly similar to yours. One thing I want to know is if it’s a dedicated room? Plan dual subwoofers. A good 5.2 set up will any day beat a compromised 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 set up and you can always set up atmos later on.Polk T series are very basic and I don’t think it will give the soundstage you expect. Which part of India you are from? If you are from CHENNAI or south I can help you get AVR for a very good price.

The room is dedicated to HT plus work desk. And I am from NCR.

Config 3: Yamaha with Onkyo
Front Left/Right: Yamaha NS-F160
Surround Left/Right/Center: Yamaha NS-P350
Top rear/Rear height: Polk Rc60i/Polk OWM3
Sub: Yamaha NS-SW200

The room is dedicated to HT plus work desk. And I am from NCR.
Ok since dedicated and with a budget of 1.6-1.7L consider Taga harmony speakers as well. It’s well known budget brand in the forum and a lot of happy owners. For 25-30k you wil get a 5.0 set up which includes tower speakers. And taga harmony also has inceiling speakers which you can use for atmos.Upgrade bug is very common with us HT enthusiasts and you will end up wanting more so plan very wisely. As I have said a good 5.2 set up will rock your movie experience then a comprised atmos set up. The most important component is a subwoofer for movies. Trust me if you get a sub that produces muddy bass you are going to end up hating your movie experience. Don’t go for Yamaha-sw200 instead go for the sw300 but dual. It should be available for 27-28k each so for dual subs 55-56k and for taga speakers 25-30k.so for a 5.2 set up you will spend 86k. You have another 80k which you can plan for an avr that can process 9 channels and has pre-outs so you can add a power amplifier later on if required.Later you can add 2 or 4 top speakers for atmos. Polk psw125 I have owned and it was not good so guessing the same for psw10.This is just my suggestion and it’s up to you

Last edited:
I was thinking to go for in ceiling speakers for the rear height, since the seating would be right below it. I am ok with having different speakers. Different left and right for sure. Front height can be identical though.

Ok fine..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back