5.1 budget bookshelf speakers needed

Nickhill007

PLease suggest me a good 5.1 system purely to be used for listening to music.Room size about 600 square feet. Budget for AVR+ 5.1 bookshelfs is 40K:).

PLease suggest me a good 5.1 system purely to be used for listening to music.Room size about 600 square feet. Budget for AVR+ 5.1 bookshelfs is 40K:).

A 5.1 system is required for movies.. For music you can look for a stereo amplifier/stereo receiver 2.0/2.1 system..

BTW for a 600Sqft room, you def need to add a subwoofer if you are using a BS... Else look for a FS....

Stereo systems wont suffice my requirements and wont buy floor standing speakers. Want sound to be distributed evenly the room is not square in shape. The room is L shaped:)

Stereo systems wont suffice my requirements and wont buy floor standing speakers. Want sound to be distributed evenly the room is not square in shape. The room is L shaped:)

i understand you room is odd shaped... But thats ok.... My assumption is that if you sit on any one side of the 'L' Shaped, you place the AVR & speakers that side...

I don't know how a 5.1, especially the rears, will work in a L shaped room. Unless there is a specified "listening area", the rears won't be effective on the other side of the room.

BTW - An entry level AVR would cost you around 30-35K, so I am not sure how you are going to fit both AVR and speakers in your budget of 40K. Maybe you want to get an AVR and a couple of good bookshelves. Maybe you can then upgrade to a sub, center and rears in phases.

Hi Nikhil,
I don't know whether my suggestion would fit in this "hi-fi" forum. Because what I've got is a very simple, generic Tekniks amp with generic BS speakers and dainty 12" sub. It just rocks the house even when the volume knob goes past 9 o'clock position. No distortions till 11 o'clock position (to which point I had gone only once). I can't even go past 10 o'clock

I listen to music (mp3 from flash drive and mainly watch 5.1 movies). The rears do wonders. The cinema effect is awesome! I got this for 8.5k in mid 2011 and now it retails for 11.2k (Just recently bought for a friend).

Again, I must warn you that this a generic amp without any specs at the rear panel. Ditto the speakers. So, you may not expect some great features and versatile remote control assoicated with any of the high end systems. Mine has only USB playback (audio only). But newer amp has got memory card reader too!

Even the speaker cabinets are built of 12mm MDF only; not even 18mm. Sans crossover except for a cap for the tweeter; sans acoustic fillings. Only the sub has got some glass wool (I think), that too at the base only.

Pros: Thumping bass (you can control); nice 5.1 effect; FM tuner; USB reader
Cons: Not a spec oriented system; crappy remote; not a very good build;

Conclusion: This is much better than any branded 5.1 retailing under 20k!

You might want to check at the local electronics market in Pune for an audition!

Regards,
BK
P.S: I'm not an audiophile so I'm not able to describe more about the SQ as you're all discussing here.

BTW - An entry level AVR would cost you around 30-35K, so I am not sure how you are going to fit both AVR and speakers in your budget of 40K. Maybe you want to get an AVR and a couple of good bookshelves. Maybe you can then upgrade to a sub, center and rears in phases.

Can get a used AVR... within the budget please suggest speakers i can manage the AVR..

Last edited:
Can get a used AVR... within the budget please suggest speakers i can manage the AVR..

Thatz a smart idea :eek:hyeah:... Always take the used route when you cannot get it with in your budget...

You can get an used AVR for 10 ~ 15K depending on the condition & the number of years old...

For speakers, you may consider Sonodyne Sonus, Polk TSx 100, PSB Alpha, Cambridge S30 all of them around 12 - 15K for BS....

Hi,

I have been using a Marantz NR 1402 AVR + Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 system for almost a year now and it is good value for money. The AVR is better than any of its bulky competitors like Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Denon available in the market. Firstly it is slim in size, looks neat and has all the latest features you need in an AVR. Music is tops...Marantz is known to deliver best music quality output and ofcourse the processors in it helps to create the actual cinema at home for movies and concerts.
Audyssey calibration for speakers to adjust the levels and quality in your room so you need not worry about doing the proper adjustments...it has Bass Treble controls to adjust, 9 band graphic equaliser to adjust for each speaker if you wish which frankly I have not seen available in any AVR available till date. The AVR has the latest dolby formats to play that special effects and crashing noise you want to hear.

I have used Bose Acoustic Mass AM5 and even the Jewel Cubes and I must say with 10 years experience, I have not heard better sounding speakers than the Bostons till date. Obviously the B&W CM series are the best and I will definitely own it one day.....the Bostons rock for music, concerts and movies...

If you are ready to stretch your budget to 50k odd you can purchase the AVR + Bostons on HiFi Mart or if you can get it cheaper elsewhere go ahead.....You will need to purchase good quality speaker cables.....AWG 18 Oxygen Free Cables would do for the speakers...you can buy the same from any wholesale market that sells wires...make sure its OFC.

The NR1402 is no more available but the NR 1504 is available with AirPlay and more features...same performance...Read the reviews for the speakers and avr on internet..see the videos uploaded on you tube.

Later as I planned to upgrade my 5.1 speakers, you too can upgrade to decent floor standers or bookshelves later...this AVR can handle it easily.

Hope this helps....my 5 friends have seen my setup and have got the same...all too happy with it. Owners pride and neighbour's jealousy

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back