5.1 content playing on 7.1 Setup

Compudex

When playing 5.1 content (Which is 99% content in major OTT) into a system using a 7.1 speaker arrangement what content is sent to the rear surrounds ?

My receiver Pioneer Lx303 shows 7.1 output at Dts:Natural and Dts surround on all content be it 5.1 or Mono 2 ch - would that work without any tweak or I need to change anything on Apm?

I have good space backside the seating, can I set Atmos from rear height to make it 5.1.2(Rear) ? Or Rear surround is best option and go with 7.1

Thanks in Advance.

Many newer AVRs offer 7.1 or 9.1 in addition to the commonly available 5.1. If your room size is standard, 5.1 it will certainly give you all the joy you need while 7.1 would be brilliant for the total immersive effect. 9.1 software - that’s really hard to come by - and you should have larger rooms and good Blu-ray Discs with concerts / live Audio recordings to enjoy or get the effect.

can one play a 5.1 recorded disc and force the AVR to play it on a 7.1 layout ..it should be possible - as AVR does have multiple options of selecting - the default decoding as “automatic” setting as well as “multi-channel” and several other “preset” with fancier names to call. The content that will be sent / distributed to the atmos or rear channels will be the “effects tracks” and never the tracks meant for the Centre channel or front channels.
However you need to understand that the recording if meant for 5.1 is truly enjoyable as originally recorded when played on a 5.1setup.

Hope this helps....enjoy the music

When playing 5.1 content (Which is 99% content in major OTT) into a system using a 7.1 speaker arrangement what content is sent to the rear surrounds ?

My receiver Pioneer Lx303 shows 7.1 output at Dts:Natural and Dts surround on all content be it 5.1 or Mono 2 ch - would that work without any tweak or I need to change anything on Apm?

I have good space backside the seating, can I set Atmos from rear height to make it 5.1.2(Rear) ? Or Rear surround is best option and go with 7.1

Thanks in Advance.
If ur AVR supports Atmos/dts X u can configure that. Use Top Middle configuration. ( I.e The ceiling speakers to be above your main listening position).
Using available upmixers in the AvR like Dolby surround / Neural X ,you can do upmixing of All contents from Mono channels to 5.1 mixes.

If ur AVR supports Atmos/dts X u can configure that. Use Top Middle configuration. ( I.e The ceiling speakers to be above your main listening position).
Using available upmixers in the AvR like Dolby surround / Neural X ,you can do upmixing of All contents from Mono channels to 5.1 mixes.
Yes, Avr supports, its Pioneer Lx303. I have set it up on rear surround and effect is not that impressive on 7.1 using dts Neural X or Dollby surround. Tried increasing dbs on those read surround speakers but no help. Avr shows input 5.1 and output 7.1

Do I miss anything or this is how it is?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back