5.1 Home Theatre Purchase (please guide)

sumitagarwal19

Hi All,
Please help me decide in my first 5.1 HT setup. I have listed a few options below based on my experience and reviews.

1. Onkyo 3400 - Price 23K.
2. Onkyo TX-SR308 + Pure Acoustics dream nano - Price 35K
3. Enegy Take Classic 5.1 speakers + 5.1 Amp (? - please suggest amp)
4. Any other combo - Price Max 50K

I would be connecting my Airtel HD Rec Setup box and my Laptop (HD) to the system to play media. I would be using the setup for Music, Movie & Setup box in the ratio of 50:25:25.

Onkyo 3400 @ 23K seems ok me, but if you experts would suggest me to increase my budget to 50K for a much worthwhile system, please do suggest.

Thanks.

hi sumit,
please search through the forum cause each of this has already been discussed in the forum

Hi Sumit: Me too planning to buy Onkyo HT-S3400 this month. Can you please share the dealer's / shop's name (and contact number) who is selling it for 23K? Are they having any combo offer, like HT-S3400 + BlueRay player etc?

@ sumit: energy classic is no longer avaialable. There is an rc micro which has come up. if required, you can check with htstore.in

I recently bought the HTS 3400 and I should say its a decent system.. If your purpose is movies only, the 3400 would be a choice that can help you save some cents and maybe invest in some good Bluray discs :)..

oops didnt see the music thingy.. I would seriously ask you to consider setting up a different set up for music altogether.. If your budget is 50k, you can get the HTS 3400 and save up the rest and invest in a good entry level Hi Fi starting from Norge or some used equipment.. Trust me a separate system for music takes it to the next level.. Just my opinion

Cheers

Hi Sumit: Me too planning to buy Onkyo HT-S3400 this month. Can you please share the dealer's / shop's name (and contact number) who is selling it for 23K? Are they having any combo offer, like HT-S3400 + BlueRay player etc?

hi

you wont get a blu-ray player but you can get a dvd player.
check with modern world on old airport road domlur.

Hi All,
Please help me decide in my first 5.1 HT setup. I have listed a few options below based on my experience and reviews.

1. Onkyo 3400 - Price 23K.
2. Onkyo TX-SR308 + Pure Acoustics dream nano - Price 35K
3. Enegy Take Classic 5.1 speakers + 5.1 Amp (? - please suggest amp)
4. Any other combo - Price Max 50K

I would be connecting my Airtel HD Rec Setup box and my Laptop (HD) to the system to play media. I would be using the setup for Music, Movie & Setup box in the ratio of 50:25:25.

Onkyo 3400 @ 23K seems ok me, but if you experts would suggest me to increase my budget to 50K for a much worthwhile system, please do suggest.

Thanks.

hi, congrats on buying your first 5.1 system...........i'm sure you want to ensure you get the best system.

Onkyo HTS3400 is a good entry level system if you are on a tight budget, no doubt about that. But, if you can stretch the budget you will definitely get a more superior system which you will love. have a look at some of the combos I suggest:

DENON AVR 1312 (entry level 5.1 receiver) + 5.1 speaker system as below

JBL Cinema 300
Polk Audio RM6750
Wharfedale Moviestar 65+
Boston Acoustics Soundware XS (my pick)

If possible, you should demo all the above systems with different audio material...........movies, soft music, classical, rock, etc.....to ascertain how well the system can handle audio at diff frequencies. It should be able to play anything you throw at it with ease. The above are all satellite combos but if you wish you could also look at bookshelves and floorstanders. If space is not a constraint then FS are highly recommended. have a look at :

JAMO S 426HC3 5.0
Wharfedale vardus 300
Wharfedale diamond 9 and 10 series
Mordaunt Short Carnival 6 series
Mordaunt Short Avant series

with FS you might not need to get the sub immediately and hence lower the total cost. you can always upgrade to a sub later. remember always please trust your ears, you want to find something that is soothing to listen to and not too harsh. Some of the demos can be very bright and harsh as the system is not set up correctly at the stores.

all the best!!!

Thanks all for your inputs :)

After a lot of search and 3 months dilema, I bought the Onkyo 3400. It cost me 24 K at Vijaya Sales, Matunga. I believe the same is also available at EBAY at same price if not less.

@jk_chaos : I liked your suggestion on two seperate units for movie and music. Now that i have Onkyo 3400 for movies, my search for music system begins. Pl suggest me for the same. I will plug in my HD laptop and would skip the blue ray player for now..!!

Congrats on your purchase Sumit :clapping:,

for an entry level hi fi, you can go for either a used integrated marantz, nad or denon.. or a brand new norge.. And get a pair of Wharfedales from the group buys here, but it all depends on the kind of music you like, your listenin area etc.. So why dont ya share those?

hi guys,
need to buy a 5.1 home theatre + amp package total budget 25k
checked harmon kardon avr134 + jbl scs140bk
also checked yamaha ht292
both nothing that great
anything in mind???

I am planning to buy Onkyo 3400 this month. I have my friend who is willing to purchase the same. If some more people add to this, then I think will bargain a good deal.

I am based off Bangalore. Anyone interested to join??

Back