5.1 Setup for 10ft x 12ft bedroom

MaheshKumar

Hello Everyone,
I am from Chennai. Needed suggestions for 5.1 setup in bedroom of size 10 ft x 12 ft (size mentioned is actual carpet size after wardrobe done). Can spend a max 80K for audio. Haven't thought of the budget for Projector/Screen as it will be added later. 14 guage Amazon basics wiring already done.

Following are my preferences

AUDIO
1. 85% listening to Quality music (FLAC, Apple loseless), 20% movies
2. Not so keen on Atmos (because of Ceiling height, small room space, budget) , 5.1 is sufficient but good quality music is a must
3. NO floor standing speakers. Infact Front L/R & Center speakers can only be placed ABOVE the projector Screen. Both projector and screen will be added in future. See the attached images.

I did auditioned Polk TL1600 5.1 and Klipsch 5.0 reference pack. Liked Polk than Klipsch. But on further research started feeling that Polk TL1600 is more good for movies than music. Many suggested to choose individual speakers over packaged systems if music is the preference.

After reading many suggestions @ hifivision.com, narrowed down on Yamaha V485 AVR. Am ready to even start with just 3.0 setup and later add Sub & Surround when budget allows.

VIDEO
1. Low on BUDGET. 4K not required, FullHD is enough.
2. See tha attached images. Distance between the projector wall and screen is 10ft. So after fixing the projector, distance btwn Projector lens and screen should be just 8 to 9 ft.
3. Screen of size 6.5ft W x 4.5ft H can only be fixed on the wall as I have wardrobe next to screen.
4. Max budget for projector+screen 25k to 40k (not sure if it is sufficient)

Please suggest on speaker combinations, projector

Attachments

• Projector Screen Wall.jpg
    Projector Screen Wall.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Projector Wall + Surround.jpg
    Projector Wall + Surround.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 82
With 85% music, it's not a good idea at all to have the speakers so high.
How do you plan to sit?
If upright, the screen has to be 1/3rd below eye level.
If reclining, then the screen can be higher and front speakers can be below the screen at ear level if possible.

I would suggest either a 5.1 sat/sub system from the likes of Elac, Morel, Wharfedale, etc
Or small bookshelves as front L/R and matching centre and smaller rears.

With the seating against the back wall, rears need to be on the side walls. Is that doable?

With 85% music, it's not a good idea at all to have the speakers so high.
How do you plan to sit?
If upright, the screen has to be 1/3rd below eye level.
If reclining, then the screen can be higher and front speakers can be below the screen at ear level if possible.

I would suggest either a 5.1 sat/sub system from the likes of Elac, Morel, Wharfedale, etc
Or small bookshelves as front L/R and matching centre and smaller rears.

With the seating against the back wall, rears need to be on the side walls. Is that doable?
Thanks for taking time to write in detail...
Planned to sit against the back wall. In this position, on the right I have wardrobe, so not possible to fit surround speakers on the side wall.
Regarding Front L/R & Center, mostly it would be upright position (not reclining).
This is the 1st time I an trying to setup HT, so dont have much technical idea. Tell me if this would work - even if I place the speakers above projector screen, but set the speakers in an angle so that speaker to ear forms a straight line.

Thanks for taking time to write in detail...
Planned to sit against the back wall. In this position, on the right I have wardrobe, so not possible to fit surround speakers on the side wall.
Regarding Front L/R & Center, mostly it would be upright position (not reclining).
This is the 1st time I an trying to setup HT, so dont have much technical idea. Tell me if this would work - even if I place the speakers above projector screen, but set the speakers in an angle so that speaker to ear forms a straight line.
Is your 80k budget excluding AVR or including AVR ? If its including AVR , assuming you would pay about 40k for AVR you are left with about 40-45k for the front 3.0 speakers. At this range I would suggest to go for a Qacoustics 3020i (25k) & 3090i(14-16k) , finalize on sub and surround speakers later on once you decide on your budget. You can use bipole/dipole as surround fitted on your rear wall or use bookshelfs/satellite with angled mounts.

From a position perspective the speaker tweeter needs to be your ear height ideally, the aiming towards ear from a height might just about work a little for movies but would sound very offbeat for music. The speakers when run on stereo mode will try to emulate the environment the song was recorded in by creating a center image(for most of the songs) where the vocals would be coming out of, a soundstage with instruments playing around to the left/right of the center image with some amount of depth as well. The moment you place them in an offbeat setup (like above your projector screen) all this will go for a toss, since you are going to use your setup for music 80% of the times I strongly advise against mounting it on the top.

I would suggest to avoid a projector screen and go for a 55/65 inch TV instead and place speakers to the side of the same. This will ensure best of both Audio & Video experience.

Hello Everyone,
I am from Chennai. Needed suggestions for 5.1 setup in bedroom of size 10 ft x 12 ft (size mentioned is actual carpet size after wardrobe done). Can spend a max 80K for audio. Haven't thought of the budget for Projector/Screen as it will be added later. 14 guage Amazon basics wiring already done.

Following are my preferences

AUDIO
1. 85% listening to Quality music (FLAC, Apple loseless), 20% movies
2. Not so keen on Atmos (because of Ceiling height, small room space, budget) , 5.1 is sufficient but good quality music is a must
3. NO floor standing speakers. Infact Front L/R & Center speakers can only be placed ABOVE the projector Screen. Both projector and screen will be added in future. See the attached images.

I did auditioned Polk TL1600 5.1 and Klipsch 5.0 reference pack. Liked Polk than Klipsch. But on further research started feeling that Polk TL1600 is more good for movies than music. Many suggested to choose individual speakers over packaged systems if music is the preference.

After reading many suggestions @ hifivision.com, narrowed down on Yamaha V485 AVR. Am ready to even start with just 3.0 setup and later add Sub & Surround when budget allows.

VIDEO
1. Low on BUDGET. 4K not required, FullHD is enough.
2. See tha attached images. Distance between the projector wall and screen is 10ft. So after fixing the projector, distance btwn Projector lens and screen should be just 8 to 9 ft.
3. Screen of size 6.5ft W x 4.5ft H can only be fixed on the wall as I have wardrobe next to screen.
4. Max budget for projector+screen 25k to 40k (not sure if it is sufficient)

Please suggest on speaker combinations, projector
It's very bad idea to put speakers so high...Make the LCR at ear level . If music is your preference , better stick to a good stereo amp and good Book shelf speakers.

Book shelf speakers are much then satelite speakers, specially for music but downside is they are bigger so if you can accommodate them in your room go for Book shelf speakers.

Last edited:
Is your 80k budget excluding AVR or including AVR ? If its including AVR , assuming you would pay about 40k for AVR you are left with about 40-45k for the front 3.0 speakers. At this range I would suggest to go for a Qacoustics 3020i (25k) & 3090i(14-16k) , finalize on sub and surround speakers later on once you decide on your budget. You can use bipole/dipole as surround fitted on your rear wall or use bookshelfs/satellite with angled mounts.

From a position perspective the speaker tweeter needs to be your ear height ideally, the aiming towards ear from a height might just about work a little for movies but would sound very offbeat for music. The speakers when run on stereo mode will try to emulate the environment the song was recorded in by creating a center image(for most of the songs) where the vocals would be coming out of, a soundstage with instruments playing around to the left/right of the center image with some amount of depth as well. The moment you place them in an offbeat setup (like above your projector screen) all this will go for a toss, since you are going to use your setup for music 80% of the times I strongly advise against mounting it on the top.

I would suggest to avoid a projector screen and go for a 55/65 inch TV instead and place speakers to the side of the same. This will ensure best of both Audio & Video experience.
@fLUX 80k budget is including AVR. Since many experts adviced not to mount speakers on the top, surely dropping this idea.

Just thinking of placing the speakers on a wooden plank (height adjustable), so that speakers will be at ear level (Music mode). When I will have to use the projector screen, will pull the plank down so that speakers will be right below bottom of the screen (video mode). I will have to think about how to setup all these without affecting the interior/aesthetics of the room. Always wanted to have bigger screen, so may not go for 55/65 inch TV.

But surely try to audition Qacoustics speakers that you suggested. Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Book shelf speakers are much then satelite speakers, specially for music but downside is they are bigger so if you can accommodate them in your room go for Book shelf speakers.
Yes definitely considering bookshelf now. Will do some furniture alterations on the wall to accomodate bookshelf. Thanks for your inputs

After auditioning couple of more brands, this is what I am planning. Would like to check with you all if any changes for betterment. I had to increase the budget from the intially planned. Pls advice

AVR: Denon S650H
Front: Dali Oberon 1
Center: Dali Oberon Vokal
Sub: Polk HTS 10
Surround: Poll OWM 3

Music:Movie = 70% : 30%

After auditioning couple of more brands, this is what I am planning. Would like to check with you all if any changes for betterment. I had to increase the budget from the intially planned. Pls advice

Hi @MaheshKumar ,
I think you may want to look at something more sensitive speakers to pair with s650H. Dali is good, no doubts about it but I am not sure you will be able to get the best out of them driving out of S650H. Dali is rated at 86db and I feel very soon you will feel the amp struggling so suggest you to look for something that’s 8Ohm and is >90DB sensitivity. What other speakers did you Audition??

Polk Rti A series, A3 and A1 both have key hole brackets at the back. Requires only one screw to hang them on the wall. 8 ohms 90 db and front ported as well.

Hi @MaheshKumar ,
I think you may want to look at something more sensitive speakers to pair with s650H. Dali is good, no doubts about it but I am not sure you will be able to get the best out of them driving out of S650H. Dali is rated at 86db and I feel very soon you will feel the amp struggling so suggest you to look for something that’s 8Ohm and is >90DB sensitivity. What other speakers did you Audition??
@Prodigy can you suggest AVR that match the Dali speakers I mentioned.

I auditioned IndiqAudio, Sonodyne, Paradigm 5.1 package as well.
Looking for Polk RTi audition. ProFx doesn't have stock for audition

Hope u have done auditioning ,the Speakers selections are fine ,except the following.

Look for AVR equivalent of Denon x2600 series or equivalent or atleast x1600 if budget is a major constraints.
If u have plan of future expansions ,plan for AVR with preouts ( like Denon x3600 series or Marantz sr6014 series ).U can start building slowly by adding speakers and power amps etc at a later stage.

Subwoofer : Possibly look for a good sealed sub which will be good for compact rooms and give enough punch. If budget permits go for Rhythmik L12 .

@Prodigy can you suggest AVR that match the Dali speakers I mentioned.

I auditioned IndiqAudio, Sonodyne, Paradigm 5.1 package as well.
Looking for Polk RTi audition. ProFx doesn't have stock for audition
May be go with something with pre-outs. See if you can get your hands on some of the older models still out there. Probably something like 3500/3600/4500 or 5014/6014 and so on. It’s one time investment.

As recommended get a better AVR. You can either get any one of the AVRs suggested by Prodigy or if you have budget constraints at the moment then go ahead and get an used AVR & then upgrade AVR next year. If you can get hold of an used Yamaha VX-485 they should be good to go for now.

If you are going to rear mount the surround speakers then you would be better off getting dipoles like Sonodyne Sonus or Polk FXI A4. They will give better surround experience.

Hi Mahesh.. If your preference is 70:30 music : movies then try Indiq audio book shelf and centre channel speaker.

I am having q acoustics 3020i and 3090i
They are good for both music and movies but u need a good amount to drive them and the vocal is not so clear on centre channel .

So I suggest you to try Dali or Indiq audio. Also there is a group buy going on for Indiq audio

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back