5.1 setup for movies

Hi,
1.5L is a good budget according to me to start off to build a 5.1 set up but I suggest you to take it in phases.
I suggest you to look at Marantz 1509 or 1510 AVR as these should come within 40K. This is a good AVR and also has Pre-Outs for front Left and Right channel if you want to add a PA at a later stage.
For speakers (LCR) you can check out Indiqaudio Platinum Mishra Book Shelf series or Q Acoustic Concept 20 series as these two have good vocal capabilities for movie watching according to me and can also give too that thump for even 2 channel listening.
For surrounds you can look at Polk S10’s and should not cost you much and they are good for surround.
Now Sub, You can look for any 8” from Elac, Taga etc for the low end.
I think you should be able to find these within your budget.
If you want to progress slow, with your budget you can start off with an Excellent 2.0 and slowly add the rest when time permits.

Could you let us know
i) if you need a setup primarily for movies or music
ii) Do floorstanders work for you or you prefer bookshelfs
iii) Room Dimensions you would be using it in

Hi,
1.5L is a good budget according to me to start off to build a 5.1 set up but I suggest you to take it in phases.
I suggest you to look at Marantz 1509 or 1510 AVR as these should come within 40K. This is a good AVR and also has Pre-Outs for front Left and Right channel if you want to add a PA at a later stage.
For speakers (LCR) you can check out Indiqaudio Platinum Mishra Book Shelf series or Q Acoustic Concept 20 series as these two have good vocal capabilities for movie watching according to me and can also give too that thump for even 2 channel listening.
For surrounds you can look at Polk S10’s and should not cost you much and they are good for surround.
Now Sub, You can look for any 8” from Elac, Taga etc for the low end.
I think you should be able to find these within your budget.
If you want to progress slow, with your budget you can start off with an Excellent 2.0 and slowly add the rest when time permits.
Great input. I too a starter on this line and your suggestion of starting with 2.0 is right reco.
My budget is around 2.5L. I am looking at Marantz SR 6013/14 with Polk S60 to start with. Is that a right move? Or considering the budget, u suggest something else? Also, going with NR 1510 with 2 channel Crown XLS 1502 would it be a better proportion compared SR 6013? Your advice a great input for me. I want to start of with 2.0 and plan to complete with5.1.4 with 2 sub's.

Also, if i go with Polk S60, is possible to timbre match with other Center from others like Klipsch? Or do i need to go for S30. I heard from many that, S35 isn't that good.

Your advice?

Great input. I too a starter on this line and your suggestion of starting with 2.0 is right reco.
My budget is around 2.5L. I am looking at Marantz SR 6013/14 with Polk S60 to start with. Is that a right move? Or considering the budget, u suggest something else? Also, going with NR 1510 with 2 channel Crown XLS 1502 would it be a better proportion compared SR 6013? Your advice a great input for me. I want to start of with 2.0 and plan to complete with5.1.4 with 2 sub's.

Also, if i go with Polk S60, is possible to timbre match with other Center from others like Klipsch? Or do i need to go for S30. I heard from many that, S35 isn't that good.

Your advice?

Please go with the SR6013 , it's a no brainer since you have the budget. It would enhance your music and movie experience by a considerable margin over a NR1609. The room calibration for SR6013 comes with MultiEQ XT32 which does a much better job than the MultiEQ in NR1609. The Crown does a fairly decent job on the PA part but a better AVR will ensure good processing and the neccesary dynamics are present at the very least.

Any particular reason you are sticking to Polk ? There are many options which might be a better choice like Qacoustics Concept 40/3050i/ Elac FS 6.2/5.2 / XTZ Spirit 11/ XTZ 95.44 / Platinum Achal

Please go with the SR6013 , it's a no brainer since you have the budget. It would enhance your music and movie experience by a considerable margin over a NR1609. The room calibration for SR6013 comes with MultiEQ XT32 which does a much better job than the MultiEQ in NR1609. The Crown does a fairly decent job on the PA part but a better AVR will ensure good processing and the neccesary dynamics are present at the very least.

Any particular reason you are sticking to Polk ? There are many options which might be a better choice like Qacoustics Concept 40/3050i/ Elac FS 6.2/5.2 / XTZ Spirit 11/ XTZ 95.44 / Platinum Achal
Not at all fLUX.. Nothing specific about Polk. The speakers which you mentioned are also excellent options. Will consider them too in my audition. Now, need to find where in Chennai I can buy the AVR or is it OK to purchase them online?

If 5.1 is all you want then going for 6013 is not a wise choice since it will eat most of your budget and you will have to compromise on speakers and subwoofer. If you have plan of expanding in the future only then look at 6013. Look at 2500/2600 or at the best 5013/5014 or 3500 if stocks are available. Remaining amount you can get very good speakers and a decent subwoofer. A good 5.1 will be more then enough for an amazing movie experience. So spend wisely on each components and don’t over spend on any component that won’t be of much use to u

Purchasing online from reputed vendors like hifimart should not be a problem at all. However since you are purchasing speakers together you might be able to get a better deal from local vendors than online, so do try that out as well

If 5.1 is all you want then going for 6013 is not a wise choice since it will eat most of your budget and you will have to compromise on speakers and subwoofer. If you have plan of expanding in the future only then look at 6013. Look at 2500/2600 or at the best 5013/5014. Remaining amount you can get very good speakers and a decent subwoofer. A good 5.1 will be more then enough for an amazing movie experience. So spend wisely on each components and don’t over spend on any component that won’t be of much use to u

The lack of pre outs is a major disadvantage with the 2600h imo , if you ever feel the need for more power or upgrade you fronts the 2600h will feel lacking. If budget is not an issue the 3600h/SR 6014 might be a better choice since you get audyssey xt32 to start with , option for preouts for all channels and ultimately ability to biamp your speakers with additional 2 port if left unused.

The lack of pre outs is a major disadvantage with the 2600h imo , if you ever feel the need for more power or upgrade you fronts the 2600h will feel lacking. If budget is not an issue the 3600h/SR 6014 might be a better choice since you get audyssey xt32 to start with , option for preouts for all channels and ultimately ability to biamp your speakers with additional 2 port if left unused.
If he has no plans to expand and all he wants is a good 5.1 in a budget of 1.5L then spending a huge amount for avr alone is not a wise call. Spending most of the money on a component where you won’t use most of its features it’s better to spend that money in speakers and subwoofer. 1.5 is an excellent budget for 5.1 set up and should plan wisely.

If he has no plans to expand and all he wants is a good 5.1 in a budget of 1.5L then spending a huge amount for avr alone is not a wise call. Spending most of the money on a component where you won’t use most of its features it’s better to spend that money in speakers and subwoofer. 1.5 is an excellent budget for 5.1 set up and should plan wisely.
Navin, as you very well know and have experienced yourself, every AV enthusiast will start his AV journey very conservatively but soon the upgrade bug bites and we all know at some point in time we get the itch to upgrade. At that point, OP shouldn't feel lack of preouts or 7.2 channel. If he can stretch his budget a little up to 2L he can go for SR 6013 or even SR6014 to make himself future proof. Ultimately, it will be his call. This is what I feel. For speakers, he can go for Qacoustics.

I started with a similar mindset Navin, the only purchase I regret somewhat is the x2600h, as pre outs not only give you option toa add a PA but offes a lot of flexibility to setup a high fidelity setup in parallel for music.

While I understand this would not likely be an use case for everyone but a good option nonetheless for 30k extra. If someone is fixed on his budget and doesn't intend to spend anymore then yes it makes sense but with a budget of 2.5L and willingness to wait I think there is a scope here for little flexibility and nudge :)

If 5.1 is all you want then going for 6013 is not a wise choice since it will eat most of your budget and you will have to compromise on speakers and subwoofer. If you have plan of expanding in the future only then look at 6013. Look at 2500/2600 or at the best 5013/5014 or 3500 if stocks are available. Remaining amount you can get very good speakers and a decent subwoofer. A good 5.1 will be more then enough for an amazing movie experience. So spend wisely on each components and don’t over spend on any component that won’t be of much use to u

Also there are two posts here one by OP who has just mentioned his budget and another by Selva with a budget of 2.5L ,my suggestion was towards the later.

Navin, as you very well know and have experienced yourself, every AV enthusiast will start his AV journey very conservatively but soon the upgrade bug bites and we all know at some point in time we get the itch to upgrade. At that point, OP shouldn't feel lack of preouts or 7.2 channel. If he can stretch his budget a little up to 2L he can go for SR 6013 or even SR6014 to make himself future proof. Ultimately, it will be his call. This is what I feel. For speakers, he can go for Qacoustics.
I started with a similar mindset Navin, the only purchase I regret somewhat is the x2600h, as pre outs not only give you option toa add a PA but offes a lot of flexibility to setup a high fidelity setup in parallel for music.

While I understand this would not likely be an use case for everyone but a good option nonetheless for 30k extra. If someone is fixed on his budget and doesn't intend to spend anymore then yes it makes sense but with a budget of 2.5L and willingness to wait I think there is a scope here for little flexibility and nudge :)
No denying to the points mentioned as I my self had a similar journey. My suggestion is just another option which he can consider and take a final decision which ever suits him best.

Hi I am looking for a 5.1 setup with a budget of 1.5 L for the sound system and avr. Suggest the best possible options.

Out of 1.5L, you may have to keep aside, 5/10K for cables and accessories. So, you are left with say 1.45L for both AVR and 5.1 Speakers. With this budget, this is what I will opt considering, you consume mostly (70%) movies from streaming service and a bit of Music (30%). Prices are approx**.

AVR - Denon X2600H -> 55K

Speakers:-
Center:- Polk S30 -> 25K
L/R:- Polk S15 -> 23K/Pair
SL/SR: Polk S10 -> 20K/Pair
Sub:- Polk PRO 440 -> 22K
------------------------------
Total -> 145K

** I am assuming the upgrade bug won't bite you for the next 2/3 years. ;-)
Ideally, you should first invest in a good AVR with Pre-Out and get 2 Good speakers with the remaining amount. Later you can extend your set-up say Center/SL, SR/Sub one by one as and when you have enough funds. This was after a certain time, you will have an awesome 5.1 system that you can enjoy for years to come.

Last edited:
Out of 1.5L, you may have to keep aside, 5/10K for cables and accessories. So, you are left with say 1.45L for both AVR and 5.1 Speakers. With this budget, this is what I will opt considering, you consume mostly (70%) movies from streaming service and a bit of Music (30%). Prices are approx**.

AVR - Denon X2600H -> 55K

Speakers:-
Center:- Polk S30 -> 25K
L/R:- Polk S15 -> 23K/Pair
SL/SR: Polk S10 -> 20K/Pair
Sub:- Polk PRO 440 -> 22K
------------------------------
Total -> 145K

** I am assuming the upgrade bug won't bite you for the next 2/3 years. ;-)
+1

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back