5.1 speakers below Rs 2 lakh

ivar1951

I am looking for 5.1. speakers for my home theatre. My room is "L" shaped and about 480 sq ft. However, the listening/viewing area is the small part of the "L" and about 150 sq feet.

So far I have looked at:

1. Quad Performance L2 series:
Fronts: 22L2
Centre: L2 Centre
Surround: L2

2. Monitor Audio Silver RX series
Fronts: RX6
RX Centre
RX8 Surrounds
RXW12 woofer

3. Moraunt-Short Mezzo series

Fronts: Mezzo 2
Centre Mezzo 5
Surrounds Mezzo 8
Woofer Mexxo 9

Receiver: Dennon 1911.

Kindly advise which system is the better one.

However, the listening/viewing area is the small part of the "L" and about 150 sq feet.

Are you sure you want to invest in the above packages for such a small area? imo BS based packages might be a better suited than FS speakers for most domestic settings.

If its not going to be a dedicated HT, and especially if its part of your living room, an even better option would be to consider something like the B&W MT-30 series or KEF KHT3005SE that goes easy on the room yet provides excellent quality. Also, do audition the M7 package from M&K if possible. It's not very popular here but an audition might change your mind!

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions. Thereafter, I looked at the MK 750 THX and seems that it can be considered. Contacted the Indian distributor in Chennai and he has promised to senm me the quote, etc. No dealer in Chandigarh or nearby where I need the system. Is that a serious handicap? He suggested the Onkyo 808 reciever to go with them while I was thinking of the Denon 2311 or 1911? What do you say?

I had an old Denon 4306 with Dali Ikon 6 HT package sometime back. Chose the Denon as I felt it gave me a good balance between my movies and music priorities at that time. Had considered other brands as well. I felt Onkyo and Yamaha were more suited for movies where as CA, Marantz and Arcam were more musical in nature. Denon ime, was the best fit for my needs.

I'm sure a lot has changed since then - technology, delivery and features. Only you can decide which one meets your requirements; after multiple sessions of auditions with abundance of patience. But that's the fun part!

Any of the above 3 (Liked by your ears) but you shld choose much more powerful AVR .... not 1911... Look for the Marantz SR / Onkyo 808/ Denon 33xx series ...

I have no knowledge of the speakers and avr you have mentioned but just going by your budget of 2 lacs, I remember of lithos contra, which again I have not auditioned but read about them a lot and going by the reviews everywhere they deserve an audition. Had just inquired with lithos mumbai for a speaker set in my budget but they don't have any so then just inquired about kontra out of curiosity, and was told that a typical 5.1 system will have 2 kontras in front + 2 noa1 in rear. Don't remember the suggested centre unit and the sub.. but I have heard that they are so good that they can better any firang brand worth 2-3 lacs easily. The kontra 2 speaker set will cost a little above 1lac.

I am looking for 5.1. speakers for my home theatre. My room is "L" shaped and about 480 sq ft. However, the listening/viewing area is the small part of the "L" and about 150 sq feet.

So far I have looked at:

RX Centre
RX8 Surrounds
RXW12 woofer

Centre Mezzo 5
Surrounds Mezzo 8
Woofer Mexxo 9

Why hangin on these for 2 Lakh Try Dynaudio audience 72 and B&W Floostanders if you try these speakers you will never change
For Fronts
My Friend is having one System Audio AV70 brand new even i have the same (one of the top 50 center channel ) then surrounds sub you decide

I Only you can decide which one meets your requirements; after multiple sessions of auditions with abundance of patience. But that's the fun part!

Unfortunately, none of these makes have a dealer in Chandigarh, the nearest place being Delhi.

try to include "paradigm" "Canton" and "USHERs" as well ....

Is the feature "magnetically shielded" a must or one can do without it. It seems the Quad speakers are not magnetically shielded.

^^ Surf around the forum and you will be pleasantly surprised .....

So far I have looked at:

RX Centre
RX8 Surrounds
RXW12 woofer

Centre Mezzo 5
Surrounds Mezzo 8
Woofer Mexxo 9

Narrowed down to:

Mordant-Short Mezzo 6 fronts, Mezzo 5 Centre and Mezzo 9 Sub-woofer.
Cambridge Audio Minx Min 20 surrounds rear and sides
Cambridge Audio 650 R AVR
BD: Cambridge Audio 650

Panasonic AE4000 projector
Da-Lite 8'x6' manual pull-down screen

IExtreamer

Any views please.

^^ Where are you getting the projector from and what price ..... ????

^^ Where are you getting the projector from and what price ..... ????

The Mordaunt-Short dealer is getting me the Panasonic AE4000 projector for Rs 1.25 lakh with a warranty of one year. I think he will source it from Delhi. In Delhi, it is available for Rs 1.18 lakh or even less in the grey market.

Anything from you on prices?

Meanwhile, I am also considering the NAD T 775 AVR and the NAD T 557 BD instead of the Cambridge Audio, though the fomrer is much more expensive, to go with the MS Mezzo speakers.

Last edited:
^^ Seems good, I have been quoted, 1.3, though I still have to go a long way before I actually buy this one (and I will buy only AE4000) ....... I am happy that the prices are dropping with each passing day ....

^^ Seems good, I have been quoted, 1.3, though I still have to go a long way before I actually buy this one (and I will buy only AE4000) ....... I am happy that the prices are dropping with each passing day ....

I wish to clarify that the price of Rs 1.25 lakh offered to me, I now learn, was without warranty. Enquiries since reveal that the price in Delhi with Panasonic India warranty is Rs.1.45 lakh. Its two years on the projector and 5000 hours on the lamp. Two-week waiting.

Hi I am new to this forum as a registered member. My take is that you decide what you want it for meaning what percentage of music and movies. Then decide on a AVR which suits your taste and then match same branded speakers with it. Some speakers have better synergy with some AVRs than others.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back