5.1 system - need recommendations (KEF/Polk/Elac)

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs.

I listened to Dali Zensor 7 and liked its clarity and sharpness, will go with the combo of DALI Zensor 7 / Vokal / Zensor 1 / Sub E 12F + Denon X2300W.

Hope Denon + Dali goes together well

I am also thinking to go with Benq W 1090 projector. Could I stick with the wall for projection instead of going for fixed screen ? If it is wall, I could repaint frequently to keep it neat. Please suggest.

Like Elangoas mentioned go for Denon x3300/Marantz SR 6011, nothing lesser.
Denon + Dali is a proven combo, but you need to audition and please yourself before making an decision.
Another suggestion, go for dual subs, they're worth it. Polk DSW Series are fantastic subs and will be a budget friendly too compared to Dali Sub.

Ok sure, will checkout 3300 !

BTW, my room size is 10 ft wide, 20 ft length and 9 ft high (after false ceiling).
So 1800-2000 cubic feet. Would this be a small room for DALI Zensor 7 and Sub E 12F ? Should I go for a smaller sub ?

Please suggest

Finally Dali zensor 7 based HT setup is done. Had to wait for 6 weeks as dealer was waiting for the new shipment.

In brief it sounds awesome for both music and movies.

Have to fine tune the positions to improve further. Have some questions, please clarify.

1) receiver and woofer is placed on the same cabinet ( 1.5 ft high ) should I try keeping on the carpet floor ?

2) rear speakers are fixed at 5.75 ft which is high. Dealer gave incorrect guidance. Throw to the ears is not perfect. Since wall is also carpet done, not planning to move the wall mounted stand down as preferred option. What is the optimal height for rear speakers? If we sit on our sofa, the hearing distance will be 4 ft.

3) in chennai, any reference for buying good quality blue ray discs

Thanks
Srini

Best to post some pics. What receiver and surrounds did you get?
1. Sub should be on the floor
2. Surround height seems to be okay. 2-3 feet above ear level or at ear level when standing are two suggestions I have seen. Go by the receiver manual.
What do you mean by "Throw to the ears is not perfect"? Surrounds are meant to give a diffused enveloping sound to make you feel inside the action.

Last edited:
Hi Experts
I am new to this forum and have little knowledge about audio system.Looking for a HT system and your opinion will be of great help.
Room size(rented) is 15 *12 ft. Viewing diistance from TV will be 10ft. Budget: Initially was 50k. After taking audition stretched it to 100k. can stretch little more if VFM.

The Shop owner (Sahakar Electronics, Ghatkopar, Mumbai) suggested following:
1) Yamaha HTR 3067 (29k)/RX V481(47K)/RX V581(55K)

+
2)Canton Movie 90(60K)/Elac Cinema 10(72K)

or
3) Yamaha NSP51(11k)+Polk Audio OWM3(14k)+Yamaha SW-315(30k)

The guy appears to be an expert.

I haven't done audition for Elac. I liked the vocal part in Canton. In the Polk and yamaha combination the bass was better but not vocal.

I had no idea what subwoofer etc before I took audition. My requirement will be Music (old hindi movie) and Movie and TV equally.

Your opinion will of great help. Thanks

Finally Dali zensor 7 based HT setup is done. Had to wait for 6 weeks as dealer was waiting for the new shipment.

In brief it sounds awesome for both music and movies.

Have to fine tune the positions to improve further. Have some questions, please clarify.

1) receiver and woofer is placed on the same cabinet ( 1.5 ft high ) should I try keeping on the carpet floor ?

2) rear speakers are fixed at 5.75 ft which is high. Dealer gave incorrect guidance. Throw to the ears is not perfect. Since wall is also carpet done, not planning to move the wall mounted stand down as preferred option. What is the optimal height for rear speakers? If we sit on our sofa, the hearing distance will be 4 ft.

3) in chennai, any reference for buying good quality blue ray discs

Thanks
Srini

Congrats for your new dali setup. Could you please give the details of AV equipment . 5 ft height from floor for surrounds will be good .You can place your sub on carpet floor .Find the suitable sub placement by sub crawling method.Where you have kept the receiver ?
For your room size a dual sub setup will be good.(U can plan it in future if budget permits).
R u planning for Dolby Atmos /Dts X?
whats the speaker u r planning ? ceilng mount or heights speaker?

Since you are in Chennai, do visit AV Lounge in Kilpauk. My friend bought a MJ Acoustic package from them and is extremely happy. I got a chance to see and experience his setup last week and was blown by what he had achieved with such a modest budget which is pretty close to yours. In my opinion music and HT requirements are completely different and main stream music speaker manufacturers don't get the HT right. Brands like M&K and MJ are designed for HT and the results show. Do check out the MJ Range before you write the cheque

Yes .You are correct ,recently I had a chance of audition at AV lounge .MJ acoustics speakers are fantastic speakers ,particularly their sub was extraordinary...No words..

Thanks for valuable inputs so far, appreciate it.

Budget is between 3 and 3.5 Lakhs for all the electronics.

Any idea where could I experience Dali Zensor in Chennai ?

Had a demo of Elac, it sounded more with Bass whereas KEF was with more clarity,thats my observation so far !

Thanks
Srini

IMHO, For 3 to 3.5 lakhs, go ahead with 7.2.4 channels. For your room size, it will perfectly fit.

Indeed, it will be much more realistic and immersive than 5.1 setup. Perhaps you yourself will think about upgrading to the ATMOS setup later some point in time.

Check with Volumate in Chennai. They will be able to provide you the right solution.

Regards,
Sriram

Hi Experts
I am new to this forum and have little knowledge about audio system.Looking for a HT system and your opinion will be of great help.
Room size(rented) is 15 *12 ft. Viewing diistance from TV will be 10ft. Budget: Initially was 50k. After taking audition stretched it to 100k. can stretch little more if VFM.

The Shop owner (Sahakar Electronics, Ghatkopar, Mumbai) suggested following:
1) Yamaha HTR 3067 (29k)/RX V481(47K)/RX V581(55K)

+
2)Canton Movie 90(60K)/Elac Cinema 10(72K)

or
3) Yamaha NSP51(11k)+Polk Audio OWM3(14k)+Yamaha SW-315(30k)

The guy appears to be an expert.

I haven't done audition for Elac. I liked the vocal part in Canton. In the Polk and yamaha combination the bass was better but not vocal.

I had no idea what subwoofer etc before I took audition. My requirement will be Music (old hindi movie) and Movie and TV equally.

Your opinion will of great help. Thanks

Guys, Looking for valuable inputs from you. I have not been able to finalize yet. Is there any other place in Mumbai for demo? Please forgive me for mistakes if any in my post. Thanks

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back