55 or 65`? Oled or Qled? - Pls help!

Lakeview

I have had a 42 inch Panasonic plasma before and I gave it to my parents long ago. I am getting a PS4 and hence started to look for a TV again. Initially I was not ready to invest lakhs or rupees on a TV set! And I am not even sure how durable they are. Anywho, I was planning to get TCL 55' tv for under 50k as I wasn't impressed with Panasonic 4k. But when I saw the LG and Sony oleds, I decided to get one. But burn in is not even the major issue but things like abl, crushed black, blue tint etc really put me off. I haven't seen Panasonic oled but heard great things about it.

So in short, I request you to kindly guide me towards making a choice, for the best value for money TV out there. Brands preferred : Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and TCL. Also does 65' vs 55' make a huge difference? I couldn't conclude myself at the showroom. So there's that.

Specific models which I am contemplating on - Panasonic 65' oled (hoping the usual issues are not on Pana), TCL x4 Qled (not sure if the overall quality will be underwhelming, have to see a demo), Panasonic or Sony 4k 65 (I have a feeling I'll regret spending a lot on old tech), Samsung 65 q6 or 55 Q7 ( again, it's no oled so why the premium).

I am not sure what I have to sacrifice for what. Picture quality and size is Paramount to me. LG c8 us very enticing but I am wary of a lot of issues associated with oleds and LG in particular.

If burn in, abl, black crush, blue tint (on white color) aren't a big issue with Panasonic OLED, I will probably get it with 4yr warranty (not sure if it covers burn in). I request you to kindly help me narrow in at least 2 or 3 specific things so that it easier for me to choose. Thanks

@Lakeview
You have listed many items like ABL, crushed black, blue tint, burn-in, etc; these are extremely technical.
Most normal viewers would not even run into them or notice them.
What are you looking for in a TV? What is typical usage in your home? (News, serials, movies, sports and/or news)
LG/Sony/Panasonic are the big three in OLED; Samsung in QLED

Panasonic OLEDs are supposed to be very good; I have not seen them only hearsay.
I have an LG C855 at home; bought during Deepavali 2018. Did audition Sony AF8 too (same size)

LG OLED ticked all the check boxes for usage at my home (for the price point); Streaming services only (no STB, no DVD/BD player).
During audition, I felt Sony was slightly better picture quality, motion handling and definitely better sound (acoustic surface).
Sound was not a factor in my setup as I have an AVR.
Samsung QLED was nice and bright, but no wow factor in terms of picture quality vis-a-vis OLED.
So decided on LG because, I felt a "It's a Sony" premium for only slightly better picture quality was not worth it.

Check the Panasonic offerings too. They seem promising.
No amount of advice/review will beat actual experience.

If you have not browsed these threads, please do so:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...by-side-comparison-on-reliance-digital.71666/
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/oled-tvs-price-best-quote-thread.72267/
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/lg-c8-oled-burn-in-other-issues-discussion.72720/
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/my-experience-with-panasonic-55fz950-oled-demo.73054/
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/new-tv-dilema-qled-vs-oled.72427/
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/lg-oled-55b8pta-first-impressions.72304/
The last one is my impressions (Title says B8 by mistake)
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for your valuable inputs Raghu. Typical usage would be movies, YouTube, Netflix, PS4 and rarely some cable TV (when my parents visit).

I'll check out these threads. Thanks so much for sharing. If I get a good deal on Panasonic, I might get it. I'll check the c8 again in the process.

I can tell u one thing for sure. My 55 Oled looks tiny compared to my dads 65 inch Samsung monster! The 65 is huge for sure.

I can tell u one thing for sure. My 55 Oled looks tiny compared to my dads 65 inch Samsung monster! The 65 is huge for sure.
HaHa. True. I almost decided on LG 65C8 at showroom.
Then went back after a day to simulate viewing distance in my house.
It loomed large over me. If I had 10 feet between TV and couch, it would have been 65"
The other factor is that these days displays are so frighteningly thin (size zero models).
It is a good idea to make sure no accidental contact happens from sides or front.
Cheers,
Raghu

I am one of those guys that makes decision by over reading and deciding there only. I was damn sure i would get x900f and not an oled reason being it would not be as bright for my room but when i actually got it (65 c8 was cheaper than x900f) i was actually pleasantly surprised and it works wonderfully for my room and got better picture quality of oled than compared to an led lcd.

I would have blindly bought the OLED 65 but my room isn't big enough. Hence I bought the OLED 55. The 65, again, is just enormous! When my dad comes to my home, he starts bugging me about how small my TV is! :p

Thanks for sharing this. I'll be getting the 65' one. But LG OLED owners, should I worry about burn in or ir as I'll be gaming for long hours? Also it seemed like white was never white but always a shade of blue. I believe vivid mode will address this issue but most of the other settings will be unusable? Another major issue is loss of details in near dark scenes. I have seen many videos on YouTube and this is the no 1 concern for me.

PLEASE SHARE LG OLED PRICE I AM IN ALSO WAITING BUT PRICES ARE NOT COMING DOWN?
lg 55 Inch -1.4k Lakh with hdfc card
65 inch- 2.25 Lakh.

Thanks for sharing this. I'll be getting the 65' one. But LG OLED owners, should I worry about burn in or ir as I'll be gaming for long hours? Also it seemed like white was never white but always a shade of blue. I believe vivid mode will address this issue but most of the other settings will be unusable? Another major issue is loss of details in near dark scenes. I have seen many videos on YouTube and this is the no 1 concern for me.
Man I haven't had any issue with burn in yet. Just take the warranty and have a drink! Haha if we keep worrying about issues like this, then how are u going to enjoy the beauty of the 65 oled! U will just love it! Go for it!

How about hdmi version 2.1 updates? I know it won’t help 4K tv much but whether we should consider this before investment

They were lower during Diwali. Wait for a few more months. They may go down when 2019 models come in.
Cheers,
Raghu

65" LG is going for 2.2 , and additional cash back on card. the showroom was giving 10K cashback per card and we can swipe 2 cards giving about 17k cashback. (some complicated calculation they told).

LG c8 us very enticing but I am wary of a lot of issues associated with oleds and LG in particular.

Why LG in particular? I also have a C8 55" and 65" in my wishlist. To my understanding all the OLED panel is made by LG, so the burn-in is going to be same on all the brands. LG has better and faster menus. but Sony does a better job in upscaling HD contents to 4k but at a premium price.

To my little knowledge, if your room can be made dark, get the OLED for better black and colours. If the room has more windows and doors, get the QLED as they have better brightness and does well even in those env.

I may be totally wrong, but this was my understanding.
Thanks Raghu for those links, I am going to read them aswell.

Hi All,

Today I went to Girias in Jayanagar, they have a swanky store with all 65 panels side by side. Samsung Q6 and Sony OLED were beside each other and the agent very kindly allowed me to compare different aspects patiently. The Sony OLED content looked fabulous to say the least and I was eyeing it longingly. The 65 Q6 looked majestic with enough brightness and vivid colors. I wanted to check it's black levels however. The agent put on the same 4k content on both TV's and that was when the difference became apparent. All the same old things like loss of detail, low brightness, color limitations could be clearly noticed. The Qled was clearly a better looking set, even considering the black levels. Then the agent put on cable TV, hd sports channel and the Qled was a clear winner as it looked way better than the OLED! Of course this is just my own personal opinion.

I still wanted to check Panasonic OLED, so I went all the way to go nagar croma. I felt that the Panasonic oled was only marginally better than Sony. Although Panasonic had much better shadow details, it still looked quite dull. This is of course when we compare and analyse. But in any case the Q6 did everything right from color, contrast, sharpness (oleds were not sharp enough for me, don't hate me), details but the major drawback of Q6 is it has a terrible viewing angle! Almost to the point of being a deal breaker for me.

The best quote I got was for 1.9l for 65. I'll probably wait till the end of this month to get a better deal.

65" LG is going for 2.2 , and additional cash back on card. the showroom was giving 10K cashback per card and we can swipe 2 cards giving about 17k cashback. (some complicated calculation they told).

Why LG in particular? I also have a C8 55" and 65" in my wishlist. To my understanding all the OLED panel is made by LG, so the burn-in is going to be same on all the brands. LG has better and faster menus. but Sony does a better job in upscaling HD contents to 4k but at a premium price.

To my little knowledge, if your room can be made dark, get the OLED for better black and colours. If the room has more windows and doors, get the QLED as they have better brightness and does well even in those env.

I may be totally wrong, but this was my understanding.
Thanks Raghu for those links, I am going to read them aswell.
I guess you are right. But All the issues mentioned in the op was as per LG OLED reviews, for instance Panasonic OLED has better color reproduction.

you'll never be able to judge accurately in a showroom because each tv will have different settings & all the lights will be on making the showroom much brighter than your viewing conditions at home.

Hi All,

Today I went to Girias in Jayanagar, they have a swanky store with all 65 panels side by side. Samsung Q6 and Sony OLED were beside each other and the agent very kindly allowed me to compare different aspects patiently. The Sony OLED content looked fabulous to say the least and I was eyeing it longingly. The 65 Q6 looked majestic with enough brightness and vivid colors. I wanted to check it's black levels however. The agent put on the same 4k content on both TV's and that was when the difference became apparent. All the same old things like loss of detail, low brightness, color limitations could be clearly noticed. The Qled was clearly a better looking set, even considering the black levels. Then the agent put on cable TV, hd sports channel and the Qled was a clear winner as it looked way better than the OLED! Of course this is just my own personal opinion.

I still wanted to check Panasonic OLED, so I went all the way to go nagar croma. I felt that the Panasonic oled was only marginally better than Sony. Although Panasonic had much better shadow details, it still looked quite dull. This is of course when we compare and analyse. But in any case the Q6 did everything right from color, contrast, sharpness (oleds were not sharp enough for me, don't hate me), details but the major drawback of Q6 is it has a terrible viewing angle! Almost to the point of being a deal breaker for me.

The best quote I got was for 1.9l for 65. I'll probably wait till the end of this month to get a better deal.
Just check motion by using some clips of motor racing. Seen a video on youtube where samsung qled separated the head of the guy and his body. Motion artifacts.

Just check motion by using some clips of motor racing. Seen a video on youtube where samsung qled separated the head of the guy and his body. Motion artifacts.
Will check. Apparently q6/7 is best for gaming. Saw the TCL Qled as well but no wow factor whatsoever. The viewing angle is terrible on the Samsung Qled, have to sit dead straight else the colors look washed out. Have got a good price on Q7. Have ruled out TCL Qled.
So looking at C8, Q7, Q6. Will most probably go with Q7 if I don't perceive any more limitations.

Back