6 speaker options: please weigh in with your thoughts

R100 is one step below the ls50. I would invest on a R3 instead of all of this. It’s a much neutral and technical perfect speaker than all you have mentioned. If it fits your budget, just get that instead.

I plan to go the used route. Unless you can point me to someone who is selling a used R3 I am not looking to purchase new. All 1.5L+ INR upgrades are only going to go into my main system. Thanks for the input.

I owned Elac BS.243.1 and they were power hungry speakers. They require amp which can handle dips to 2 ohms. They are fast and highs are wonderful on them. Given their size they pack a punch in bass. I could never do justice to them with an AVR and sold them off to a teacher in Chennai.

Thanks @arunkvivek and @arj for the inputs on the Elac 243. I am unable to find any significant reviews of the Elac 243 online but having FMs with direct experience of the speakers speak so highly of them gives me confidence.

@arj : I get the rating for the Arro. Just to clarify though, you would put the Elac 243 above the LS50 and the Spendor SA1/A1? That's quite high praise for the Elacs!

Besides the benefits of no stands, the Totem Arro seems to benefit from being near walls which in my bedroom would be something my wife would appreciate. Also the minimal floor space and the small size and overall prettiness does increase the WAF quite a bit :)

Thanks @arunkvivek and @arj for the inputs on the Elac 243. I am unable to find any significant reviews of the Elac 243 online but having FMs with direct experience of the speakers speak so highly of them gives me confidence.

@arj : I get the rating for the Arro. Just to clarify though, you would put the Elac 243 above the LS50 and the Spendor SA1/A1? That's quite high praise for the Elacs!

Actually my intent was to put the elac as different from the others since they have ribbon tweeters and need amplification which can take tough loads. They seem to be speakers which have consistently followed a design principle..I have not heard the recent Elacs

The others are modern speaker design which can go with any amplification.

Last edited:
With speakers, there is no real option but to identify the type of sound you like. the ones you listed are competent speakers but it’s very unlikely that individual would like all of them.

are there any in this list that you can hear locally?

With speakers, there is no real option but to identify the type of sound you like. the ones you listed are competent speakers but it’s very unlikely that individual would like all of them.

are there any in this list that you can hear locally?

I have heard LS50s. Also heard the Spendor before. Won't be able to hear Arros, or the specific Elac, nor the Wharfedale Evos since I do not know anyone in Bangalore who has them.

I have heard other Elacs and Wharfedales do am familiar with their house sound. Also worked with Ribbon tweeters for many years with Adams in the mixing studio.

Right now with the lockdown auditions are difficult which is why I wanted opinions from anyone else who has heard a few of these to chime in. Otherwise I agree fully that auditions and personal taste are the way to go.

Actually my intent was to put the elac as different from the others since they have ribbon tweeters and need amplification which can take tough loads. They seem to be speakers which have consistently followed a design principle..I have not heard the recent Elacs

The others are modern speaker design which can go with any amplification.

Thank you, understood. Point noted wrt to the amping requirements for the Elac.

I have heard LS50s. Also heard the Spendor before. Won't be able to hear Arros, or the specific Elac, nor the Wharfedale Evos since I do not know anyone in Bangalore who has them.

What did you prefer between those two? Do you like the Wharfedale house sound? Are you comfortable with ribbon tweeters for home use (remember studios are well treated, homes arent)? Your answers to these would help narrow the list a bit

I am considering 6 speaker options for my bedroom system. It will be paired with a Rega DAC-R and a YBA Audio Refinement Complete integrated amp.

Options are:
1. KEF LS50
2. Totem Arro
3. Dynaudio Emit M20
4. Elac 243 first edition
5. Spendor SA1
6. Wharfedale Evo 4.2

I realize the pricing range is a bit wide. That's OK, my budget is flexible. I just want to pick what will pair the best with the existing audio chain.

I prefer neutral, very slightly laid back sound with smooth but not overly rolled off highs.

Two requests: All inputs are most welcome but please highlight if your thoughts are based on actual listening experience of the specific speaker. Also, please assume I am limited to only these 6 options. So not looking for any suggestions outside of these.

For reference my main room stereo setup are a pair of Harbeth with a hybrid tube amp.
I have the wharfedale evo 4.2s. They are capable of reproducing palpable deep bass upto the 40hz region and i mean really palpable (more than a lot of floorstanders i have heard and own). The highs are extremely neutral which can be either a good or bad thing. Other pros include a massive soundtstage. Classical music and heavy metal/rock sound really good on them and piano notes sound exceptional. However, it is not the fastest speaker and one may feel that it lacks excitement with certain types of music. I'd advise an audition before taking the plunge as they may either be right up your alley or you'd end up with an underwhelming experience depending on your preference in music.

I have the wharfedale evo 4.2s. They are capable of reproducing palpable deep bass upto the 40hz region and i mean really palpable (more than a lot of floorstanders i have heard and own). The highs are extremely neutral which can be either a good or bad thing. Other pros include a massive soundtstage. Classical music and heavy metal/rock sound really good on them and piano notes sound exceptional. However, it is not the fastest speaker and one may feel that it lacks excitement with certain types of music. I'd advise an audition before taking the plunge as they may either be right up your alley or you'd end up with an underwhelming experience depending on your preference in music.
Quick update - The slow paced nature that the Evos exhibited with Class A/B amplification (Marantz PM6006 & SR6013) disappeared when using the Crown XLS1502. The timing of the music became tighter, fast (not unnaturally so but it lost its ladiback nature) and dare i say even more nuanced with a more exciting presentation. However, that also brought with it the inherent class D properties which, to my ears, robs it of some depth. You can rectify it to a large extent by addition of a subwoofer that is well integrated and can keep pace with the music. I have mine paired with a Rel T9i and it nullifies a lot of what appears to my ear as crudities of class D sound (again, preferences might differ depending on the presentation that one fancies).

Quick update - The slow paced nature that the Evos exhibited with Class A/B amplification (Marantz PM6006 & SR6013) disappeared when using the Crown XLS1502. The timing of the music became tighter, fast (not unnaturally so but it lost its ladiback nature) and dare i say even more nuanced with a more exciting presentation. However, that also brought with it the inherent class D properties which, to my ears, robs it of some depth. You can rectify it to a large extent by addition of a subwoofer that is well integrated and can keep pace with the music. I have mine paired with a Rel T9i and it nullifies a lot of what appears to my ear as crudities of class D sound (again, preferences might differ depending on the presentation that one fancies).

Thank you for the detailed review of the Evos. Very helpful :)

I would suggest you a pair of Cabasse Bora or Minorca or Antigua bookshelf speakers from Pro FX. I would definitely not suggest an integrated amplifier of 90watts at 4 ohms with the Danes. Danes are happy with power amplifiers with lots of currents and atleast 150watts on tap.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back