6 speaker options: please weigh in with your thoughts

vineetrad

I am considering 6 speaker options for my bedroom system. It will be paired with a Rega DAC-R and a YBA Audio Refinement Complete integrated amp.

Options are:
1. KEF LS50
2. Totem Arro
3. Dynaudio Emit M20
4. Elac 243 first edition
5. Spendor SA1
6. Wharfedale Evo 4.2

I realize the pricing range is a bit wide. That's OK, my budget is flexible. I just want to pick what will pair the best with the existing audio chain.

I prefer neutral, very slightly laid back sound with smooth but not overly rolled off highs.

Two requests: All inputs are most welcome but please highlight if your thoughts are based on actual listening experience of the specific speaker. Also, please assume I am limited to only these 6 options. So not looking for any suggestions outside of these.

For reference my main room stereo setup are a pair of Harbeth with a hybrid tube amp.

I did read a lot of reviews between 4,5 and 6. I purchased the Emit m20 because i got a used deal at a nice price , i was intrigued with the Wharfedale Evo 4.2 but due to size factor and extra price i ended up with m20.

I did read a lot of reviews between 4,5 and 6. I purchased the Emit m20 because i got a used deal at a nice price , i was intrigued with the Wharfedale Evo 4.2 but due to size factor and extra price i ended up with m20.

Thanks @fLUX. What amp and dac are you pairing the Emit M20 with and how do you like the speakers after listening for a while now? If you don't mind can you share what size room you are running them in and if you have any boominess due to the strong low end?

Changed my mind, lol :)

Rather that limit myself, also open to offers for used speakers in the 40k-90k INR category. Please PM or else post in this thread.

You certainly got more than just a nice price. :D

Last edited:
Changed my mind, lol :)

Rather that limit myself, also open to offers for used speakers in the 40k-90k INR category. Please PM or else post in this thread.
Ha ha, understandable. For around 70k, plus say 15k for good stands, you can't go wrong with the Dynaudio M20. From what I gather, you already have a fine amp. M20 handles all genres with sophisticated aplomb. Very much fits the description in your OP and much more. Have had them along with the Tannoy XT8F for a while. I've had to shake myself to realise that the M20 were playing and not the tannoys. Of course the Tannoys are a class apart, not trying to make an outlandish comparison but goes to show their soundstage and imaging. Mind you they were in a large room approx 24 X 18 playing heavy metal and rock. There are many things in this hobby wherein you can buy something blind and the M20 is certainly one of them. Good luck. Cheers.

Ha ha, understandable. For around 70k, plus say 15k for good stands, you can't go wrong with the Dynaudio M20. From what I gather, you already have a fine amp. M20 handles all genres with sophisticated aplomb. Very much fits the description in your OP and much more. Have had them along with the Tannoy XT8F for a while. I've had to shake myself to realise that the M20 were playing and not the tannoys. Of course the Tannoys are a class apart, not trying to make an outlandish comparison but goes to show their soundstage and imaging. Mind you they were in a large room approx 24 X 18 playing heavy metal and rock. There are many things in this hobby wherein you can buy something blind and the M20 is certainly one of them. Good luck. Cheers.

Thanks @Mayank Shah. I should have pulled the trigger on your M20s earlier. @fLUX has indeed got a great deal :)

In some ways I want to get a speaker that can do genres that the Harbeths are good but not at their best at doing - such as heavy metal and hard rock. The M20s seems very appealing from that angle since I can use the secondary system when I want a change of pace.

How about KEF R100? Are they too similar to the LS50 to be considered a significantly different option vs the LS50?

How about KEF R100? Are they too similar to the LS50 to be considered a significantly different option vs the LS50?
Haven't heard the R100, but LS50 struck me something as very good for acoustic guitar, string instruments and mid bass percussions. Baritone instruments didn't have the depth and a touch too airy.

It's the nuances and distortions which makes the music, these are too accurate and transparent to stir the soul. So obviously the source here has to be real good. Probably better off on a HT setup for the clarity in details but then again I shudder to imagine how 4 or 6 of these would be together.

For pure 2ch listening, I can only imagine myself listening to some rhythm n blues, guitar instrumentals, Sufi, Ghazals and such in a dimmed room, sipping hot masala tea with my dog snuggled up near my feet and that too not without a sub. Wouldn't even think of letting Iron Maiden anywhere close to them.

Haven't heard the R100, but LS50 struck me something as very good for acoustic guitar, string instruments and mid bass percussions. Baritone instruments didn't have the depth and a touch too airy.

It's the nuances and distortions which makes the music, these are too accurate and transparent to stir the soul. So obviously the source here has to be real good. Probably better off on a HT setup for the clarity in details but then again I shudder to imagine how 4 or 6 of these would be together.

For pure 2ch listening, I can only imagine myself listening to some rhythm n blues, guitar instrumentals, Sufi, Ghazals and such in a dimmed room, sipping hot masala tea with my dog snuggled up near my feet and that too not without a sub. Wouldn't even think of letting Iron Maiden anywhere close to them.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the LS50. I would definitely want to consider something that is a bit more muscular and unrestrained that can sort through the layers of an Iron Maiden song lol. Would be a nice option to have. I've been recommended Klipsch along with Dynaudios as good options for hard rock and heavy metal.

Thanks @fLUX. What amp and dac are you pairing the Emit M20 with and how do you like the speakers after listening for a while now? If you don't mind can you share what size room you are running them in and if you have any boominess due to the strong low end?

I use a Marantz PM6006, have a 11*14 room and never felt the need to go beyond 40-50% volume. The extra amp power with a higher WPC amp will come in handy for the lows i guess which i feel is a tad less with the PM6006 (i have to use the bass boost for certain songs) , so there is no question of boominess at the moment. Use SMSL SU-8 as the DAC feeding the PM6006 since i find it to be better than the DAC unit on PM6006.

I certainly am not as experienced as Mayank in terms of listening to better speakers , but amongst the ones i own/have listened the M20 easily takes the top spot in imaging, lush beautiful vocals and treble extends just enough for my liking.

R100 is one step below the ls50. I would invest on a R3 instead of all of this. It’s a much neutral and technical perfect speaker than all you have mentioned. If it fits your budget, just get that instead.

@arunkvivek Do you specifically mean the 243 1st edition or Elac in general? If you've heard the 243 do you remember if it was the 1st or 2nd gen version 243.2? Thanks.
I owned Elac BS.243.1 and they were power hungry speakers. They require amp which can handle dips to 2 ohms. They are fast and highs are wonderful on them. Given their size they pack a punch in bass. I could never do justice to them with an AVR and sold them off to a teacher in Chennai.

Since the YBA specs rate 50W and 8Ohms and 90W at 4 ohms, I would suspect you will get a great synergy with the Totem Arro which is a really great speaker despite its small drivers. I remember hearing those at a show and had to ask if it was complemented by a subwoofer, which it was not.

if it were me the totem would be a No- brainer as I believe in terms of Sound qualityit is clearly the best in the group and is the only floorstander which means you do not need an additional investment in a rack. It also would outlast both your Dac and amp in case you do pan to upgrade these in the future.

I would rate the Elac the next best in sound but not sure of their power handling as mentioned by Arunvivek above.
I would group the others together as the 3rd group where you may not go wrong with any.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back