Recommendation on Atmos Setup with height Speakers on side Walls

pkv

I am done with my 5.1 setup completed on Denon X1500H with Epson K1 Bookshelf for the front, Q Acoustic Concept for Center and Q Acoustic 3010i for surrounds with Morel PSW - 8ew (Pre-owned) for sub.
I was now going to add additional 2 surround speakers on side walls for Atmos/7.1 setup (My ceiling height is 20 feet around MLP so ceiling speakers are not possible). So I have decided to setup 2 height speakers on side wall at around 7 feet of height slightly forward of MLP and plan to angle it downwards to fire towards MLP but little ahead. I was planning to use it as 7.1 and Atoms depending on Movie. My rear surround speakers are on back wall just behind MLP. I have attached pics for better clarity of room.
I was not sure about height part of these additional speakers and choices and reaching out to experts here for their thoughts.. I watch a lot of downloaded 7.1 movies and OTT (Atmos) as well as music.

1. What should be height of these speakers. Its possible for me to put 6 feet to 8/8.5 feet. Higher the better or lower the better to get best for 7.1 as well as atmos.
should it be located little ahead of MLP or i should try to bring it in line of MLP as much as possible by moving little ahead.

2. What type of speakers should I choose. Any wall mounting surround speakers are good which can be angled or should go for specific atmos speakers. I thought of following options. Please suggest anything additional.

a) Someone offered me NHT Absolute Wall Speaker for 32K (Clearance sell, no bill and warranty)..I feel his ask is higher. He suggested to angle it using a mount.

b) Angled speaker like dali-alteco-c-1. Since i only need down-firing, so feature of up firing & down firing selection not useful, hence i feel its expensive. Advantage is that its already angled so need not worry for finding right mounts.
https://avstore.in/products/dali-alteco-c-1

c) wharfedale bipolar Diffuse Field Surround model specifically made for rear surround sound. Cost of 30K seems reasonable. Challenge is getting right mount for this.
https://hifimart.com/product/wharfedale-wh-dfs-surround-speaker-pair

d) General speaker like Polk audio OWM3. It is costing new only 18K and has perfect mounting for down firing. I am not sure if this is of great quality though.
https://www.amazon.in/Polk-Audio-Wall-Speaker-Black/dp/B0018QNYVM

How much should i spend in these speakers considering my current 5.1 speaker setup costed me 80K.

Please pour in your thoughts and help me complete my setup... 🙏🙏🙏

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 3.26.03 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 3.26.03 PM.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 124
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 3.24.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 3.24.53 PM.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 120
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 3.24.53 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 3.24.53 PM (1).jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 113
I am done with my 5.1 setup completed on Denon X1500H with Epson K1 Bookshelf for the front, Q Acoustic Concept for Center and Q Acoustic 3010i for surrounds with Morel PSW - 8ew (Pre-owned) for sub.
I was now going to add additional 2 surround speakers on side walls for Atmos/7.1 setup (My ceiling height is 20 feet around MLP so ceiling speakers are not possible). So I have decided to setup 2 height speakers on side wall at around 7 feet of height slightly forward of MLP and plan to angle it downwards to fire towards MLP but little ahead. I was planning to use it as 7.1 and Atoms depending on Movie. My rear surround speakers are on back wall just behind MLP. I have attached pics for better clarity of room.
I was not sure about height part of these additional speakers and choices and reaching out to experts here for their thoughts.. I watch a lot of downloaded 7.1 movies and OTT (Atmos) as well as music.

1. What should be height of these speakers. Its possible for me to put 6 feet to 8/8.5 feet. Higher the better or lower the better to get best for 7.1 as well as atmos.
should it be located little ahead of MLP or i should try to bring it in line of MLP as much as possible by moving little ahead.

2. What type of speakers should I choose. Any wall mounting surround speakers are good which can be angled or should go for specific atmos speakers. I thought of following options. Please suggest anything additional.

a) Someone offered me NHT Absolute Wall Speaker for 32K (Clearance sell, no bill and warranty)..I feel his ask is higher. He suggested to angle it using a mount.

b) Angled speaker like dali-alteco-c-1. Since i only need down-firing, so feature of up firing & down firing selection not useful, hence i feel its expensive. Advantage is that its already angled so need not worry for finding right mounts.
https://avstore.in/products/dali-alteco-c-1

c) wharfedale bipolar Diffuse Field Surround model specifically made for rear surround sound. Cost of 30K seems reasonable. Challenge is getting right mount for this.
https://hifimart.com/product/wharfedale-wh-dfs-surround-speaker-pair

d) General speaker like Polk audio OWM3. It is costing new only 18K and has perfect mounting for down firing. I am not sure if this is of great quality though.
https://www.amazon.in/Polk-Audio-Wall-Speaker-Black/dp/B0018QNYVM

How much should i spend in these speakers considering my current 5.1 speaker setup costed me 80K.

Please pour in your thoughts and help me complete my setup... 🙏🙏🙏
Hi PKV,
From the positioning given in the attached pix, I think they will work well as 7.1
I doubt though if these are the right placements for Atmos content. You might have to: 1) Place the height speakers in front of your MLP/couch, and 2) the placement will have to be slightly higher than 7 feet. I'd say 1 feet down from the ceiling, and right above the front L-R speakers.
See the pair above the projector in this pic from FM @ankitbhargava's set up:

Such a position might work for Atmos in your space.

If you are going ahead with the current plan, just pick up another pair of the 3010s and enjoy 7.1.
If you want to try the front heights, the OWM 3 are more than enough. Everyone who has them has only good things to say about them.

Trust this helps.
Regards

My apologies. The Denon website states that the x1500H supports Atmos.

The Polk audio OWM3 should be sufficient for your needs. Place it as high as possible. The idea is to have a good separation of sound coming from your surround LR and your Atmos LR channels. In most homes, getting speakers placed at the Dolby recommended positions can be difficult but nonetheless, if you get close enough, you will be treated to an immersive listen even without 100% accurate placement.

Hi PKV,
From the positioning given in the attached pix, I think they will work well as 7.1
I doubt though if these are the right placements for Atmos content. You might have to: 1) Place the height speakers in front of your MLP/couch, and 2) the placement will have to be slightly higher than 7 feet. I'd say 1 feet down from the ceiling, and right above the front L-R speakers.
See the pair above the projector in this pic from FM @ankitbhargava's set up:

Such a position might work for Atmos in your space.

If you are going ahead with the current plan, just pick up another pair of the 3010s and enjoy 7.1.
If you want to try the front heights, the OWM 3 are more than enough. Everyone who has them has only good things to say about them.

Trust this helps.
Regards
Thank you @k-pad. I can place the speakers upto 8/9 feet height as well. One thing which comes to mind is that if i place it that high, how will the 7.1 effect would be. My understanding ( And i might be wrong) is that for 7.1 movies speakers should be at same height as of rear surround but should be separated far from rear speakers. Is it like either I can optimize for 7.1 or Atoms (One of them only) ?
In the picture are you referring to red circles in ceiling which are slightly behind MLP and in my system it is 1 feet ahead of MLP. I have attached couple of pics to give idea of front L-R speakers and more clear view of proposed speaker.

On speaker choices i came across another thread where a FM @Barun7 has recommended few speakers as below including JBL One and Sonos .
One more choice i found where its angled is mission 3d costing 25k..

3010i will be little protruding from wall, I was looking for little sleeker option, as its family room as well. But if i don't get anything else in white this will be an option and i need to figure out proper mounting..
Attaching some additional pics to give complete idea of setup..

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-10 at 12.10.06 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-10 at 12.10.06 AM.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 100
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-10 at 12.10.14 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-10 at 12.10.14 AM.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
My apologies. The Denon website states that the x1500H supports Atmos.

The Polk audio OWM3 should be sufficient for your needs. Place it as high as possible. The idea is to have a good separation of sound coming from your surround LR and your Atmos LR channels. In most homes, getting speakers placed at the Dolby recommended positions can be difficult but nonetheless, if you get close enough, you will be treated to an immersive listen even without 100% accurate placement.
Yes, it supports atmos and it does display Atmos on my ATV but still figuring out why its not showing up on nVIDIA shield Pro may be because height speakers are not connected yet..

Placing it on height like 7-8 feet will be possible but just the thought was how effective it will be for 7.1 movies ??

Placing it on height like 7-8 feet will be possible but just the thought was how effective it will be for 7.1 movies ??
You can have 5.1, 7.1 or a 5.1.2. Movies in 5.1 or 7.1 will be upmixed to 5.1.2 both by DTS-X and Dolby Atmos. You can test out both to see which one you like better.

For me, 5.1.2 sounds much better than 7.1 .

Last edited:
Thank you @k-pad. I can place the speakers upto 8/9 feet height as well.
Hi Sir, the increased height will help if you are using them as front top atmos.
One thing which comes to mind is that if i place it that high, how will the 7.1 effect would be. My understanding ( And i might be wrong) is that for 7.1 movies speakers should be at same height as of rear surround but should be separated far from rear speakers. Is it like either I can optimize for 7.1 or Atoms (One of them only) ?
Yes, for 7.1, best to keep it lower and in line with the other ear-level/surround speakers.
In the picture are you referring to red circles in ceiling which are slightly behind MLP and in my system it is 1 feet ahead of MLP. I have attached couple of pics to give idea of front L-R speakers and more clear view of proposed speaker.
In the other FM's pic, I did not mean the red circles, but the two angled speakers above the screen. Sorry, I confused you by saying projector I think...

Regards

Hi Sir, the increased height will help if you are using them as front top atmos.

Yes, for 7.1, best to keep it lower and in line with the other ear-level/surround speakers.

In the other FM's pic,

In the other FM's pic, I did not mean the red circles, but the two angled speakers above the screen. Sorry, I confused you by saying projector I think...

Regards

I did not mean the red circles, but the two angled speakers above the screen. Sorry, I confused you by saying projector I think...

Regards
Thank you.. I understood it now.. However placing speakers there will be little difficult now. I have only 1 option of placement (Wire you see in pics next to sofa on side walls) and need to decided on height for that. It would be angled to point at MLP..

Regards

Thank you.. I understood it now.. However placing speakers there will be little difficult now. I have only 1 option of placement (Wire you see in pics next to sofa on side walls) and need to decided on height for that. It would be angled to point at MLP..
Then, sir, I'd suggest keeping it as close to other ear-level speakers and using as 7.1, since you said you watch a lot of that content, but yes, you will miss out on all the new atmos content enjoyment...

Then, sir, I'd suggest keeping it as close to other ear-level speakers and using as 7.1, since you said you watch a lot of that content, but yes, you will miss out on all the new atmos content enjoyment...
Gucci Bloom

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back