7.1 Avr suggestions for Aviano 8 (pre outs?)

nSinghal

Requirements and info...

• Avr required for aviano 8 (fronts), aviano 5(Center) + Aviano 1 (surrounds)
  • Budget ~40k
  • No subwoofer for now (maybe a year later, maybe..) so would like to make sure the avr plays fine with blurays/HDTV without SW. The avianos have more than enough bass for music and I can live with that much for movies/TV too (atleast for now).
  • Viewing preferences: movies/tv 65%, Music 35%
  • Minimum 4 (preferably a couple more) HDMI inputs
  • Require two hdmi outs (PJ and TV) but can live with one too. Will get a splitter in that case (any recommendation for the splitter?)
  • 3D passthrough required. 4k passthrough will be nice but can live without it too as that seems a minimum 3years away.
  • HDMI passthrough on standby
  • 7.1 avr preferred so I can atleast bi-amp the FS in my 5.0 setup.
  • Pre outs preferred (atleast for FS and center if not all 5) for future upgradability. Not sure I can find any in the budget though. Cheapest one I can see is marantz 6006 for 52k. Nothing else. Also don't know if 6006 is the right avr for me.
  • If I can't get pre outs, I'd prefer to get the cheapest one which works with the speakers. Will denon 1612 (29k I think) be enough?
  • No imports. Local purchase with B&W.
  • Room size 25'x16'

After a minor hiccup, it seems like I can still get both the aviano 8 & 6 (haven't decided between the two yet). Now the next big question. Which avr to match it with? I've demoed the aviano 6 with cambridge stereo amp and loved it. Also I understand that no avr in my price range will sound as good but want something as close to what I heard as possible.

Please note I'm really inexperienced here. I can't even define if the avianos were warm sounding or bright. All I know is that they sounded very nice to my ears. Aviano 6 had enough bass output to not bother with a sub anytime soon, especially with aviano 8. From a little research, it seems like denon AVRs work well with avianos but the problem is nothing in denon comes with pre outs which doesn't cost a bomb too. Any suggestions here will be more than appreciated. Thanks for your time :)

Last edited:
at 40k mits hard to get pre out wala...
avr makers did it intentionally....not giving pre outs in low ends..
as they think the persoms who will use pre outs(read audio lovers)..wont mind paying extra just for the ports...
and the low end models will be bought by them who will never think of adding power amp...
i mean they think that way
such badmaishi of avr makers....hehe

anyway...see this for the lowest possible pre out wala model
marantz 5007 in hifi mart 56k

some old models btw are avilable with pre outs...HK still gives pre outs in low ends..dont know exactly though...

imho 2 output wala is not required...
a spliiter of 2.5 k from e bay is enough for that specific purpose..

if you have heard them with strereo amp and loved it..chances are low..(low not zero mind it)..you will love them with avr...depends on personal perception though

Yeah, I understand everything you pointed out. Also, I know that I dont need two hdmi outs built in the receiver and can simply add a splitter. Having it built in will give me a few advantages though. First, it effectively makes the avr 2k cheaper for me as I'll have to spend that much on the splitter anyways. So the Rs 52k marantz 6006 is technically Rs 50k for me. Also, I'll be using a 50' hdmi cable for the PJ and not sure if these cheap splitters will be able to perform well at that distance.

@ 8k more than the denon 2113 (best price 42k reported by FMs so far), which is supposed to be a good enough avr (in budget range ofcourse) for these speakers, the marantz 6006 with its pre outs is looking more and more interesting to me. I need opinions he please. Is marantz going to prove a good match with the avianos? Getting a demo of marantz with aviano is not going to be possible as the dealer doesn't have it. Dont want to buy it until I'm sure its a good match. I may get my hands on a denon for a demo though.

Now, What will I be missing with 6006 compared to 2113? Power output seems to be same between the two (actually better with marantz on paper) @ 95w for denon vs 110w for marantz (2ch, 20hz-20khz). 4K passthrough and upscaling seems to be the only plus point of 2113. I'm still using a sdtv (upgrading in a couple of months though) so I dunno if 4k is worth giving up the pre outs option. Who knows when the upgraditis bug will bite me. With the marantz, I can always add something like emotiva xpa-3 (33k in US) and drive the fronts and Center with pure 200watts per channel. Probably wont but still I'd prefer to have that option. Getting an emotiva breaks my rule of not getting anything without warranty in India but I can live with waiting a bit while emotiva goes back to servicing in US (if/when there's a malfunction) and I can still keep my speakers working with the marantz, which will ofcourse have warranty in India and won't take too long for servicing.

Back to the topic at hand, other than 4k, what else i'll be missing in marantz? Warranty? I know denon has 3yr warranty. How much do we get with marantz? What about audyssey (or whatever room correction feature they have)? Does denon have a better one here? Or are they more or less the same? Anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger on marantz?

Lolz it seems u have a low budget with a requirement of preout just like I did :D ... In this budget the best avr that u can get is the HK 3600... I have heard MS speakers with HK & it sounds lovely... Problem is not many on the forum will recommend HK even though it was the surprise hit of the avenue sound meet last year, prevailing over much costlier counter parts... Anyway if u can test ur speakers with a HK 3xx series avr in Delhi to chk the matching & then order from avenue sound for less than 40k would be the best option... Although if 4K is a must then I would recommend the Marantz 5007 over the 6006 just coz it has 7.2 preouts vs just 2.2 in the 6006... Denon is one avr I don't recommend unless u do a side by side comparision with similar priced avrs from marantz , yamaha & still like it...
Btw HK 3600 is not a lower end avr... It is cheap coz it's a discontinued model... It use to be $1000+ a couple of years back...

Another option for you is Yamaha A810/RX-V773. Comes with 2 HDMI outs + full 7.2 pre-outs.
Thanks. Doesn't seem like yamaha 773 is available in India. No mention on their website either. A810 did launch here though. Will check up with a few dealers to see if I can get it cheaper than marantz. :)
Lolz it seems u have a low budget with a requirement of preout just like I did :D ... In this budget the best avr that u can get is the HK 3600... I have heard MS speakers with HK & it sounds lovely... Problem is not many on the forum will recommend HK even though it was the surprise hit of the avenue sound meet last year, prevailing over much costlier counter parts... Anyway if u can test ur speakers with a HK 3xx series avr in Delhi to chk the matching & then order from avenue sound for less than 40k would be the best option... Although if 4K is a must then I would recommend the Marantz 5007 over the 6006 just coz it has 7.2 preouts vs just 2.2 in the 6006... Denon is one avr I don't recommend unless u do a side by side comparision with similar priced avrs from marantz , yamaha & still like it...
Btw HK 3600 is not a lower end avr... It is cheap coz it's a discontinued model... It use to be $1000+ a couple of years back...

Yeah, I researched hk quite a bit and definitely not going to bother with it. It quickly became my top choice when i started to look for avrs (thanks to not just good SQ reported on these forums but great looks too) but that changed once i dug in a bit more deeper. Their receivers are the worst performers when it comes to stability, behind not just denon, yamaha, marantz, pioneer, sony but even onkyo (second worst after HK, ruled that one out too for the same reason). Way too many people reporting problems with hk AVRs (including 3600) to make it worth the trouble. I still was interested in HK and thought their new line up would turn out better but now they've changed everything which was good about them. The new avr 1700/2700/3700 are much lighter, using parts more in line with other AVRs and they even changed their power ratings to the inflated numbers now like every other avr manufacturer out there instead of reporting the more truer wattage which they used to earlier. The 2700 and 3700 are still new and there aren't really any reviews for them yet. Not to mention the absolutely ridiculous pricing in India. Avr 1700 is selling at $2-300 on amazon and best buy and yet its quoted at 40k here. 2700 was quoted at 70k and iirc, even that doesn't have pre outs. And the final nail in the coffin, one year warranty compared to 3 most other AVRs in that price range are offering here. Their AVRs might be the best (maybe even the new models too) but I value stability and after sales service a lot higher than the SQ. I understand I may get lucky and never have any problem with HK or might get unlucky and even denon ends up getting back to service Center every other month but the odds are too much against either of that happening.

I have demoed the avr 70 (avr 700 in us i think) with some jamo 5.1 FS+BS package and those sounded great, if a bit too bright. The female 's' voice literally pierced my ears but no idea if it was coz of the avr or the speakers. I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the avr and blame it on the speakers but the stability issues have ruled out hk anyways so not goin to bother trying a demo of hk with aviano. Too afraid that I might end up loving it and go with it only to regret later if/once it starts having issues.

Btw, are you sure about 6006 having 2.2 pre outs only??? Can someone please confirm this? As I said, I'm a noob here so maybe I'm not reading the specs right but on the US website of marantz it saying that 6006 has pre outs for all 7 channels.

Also, 4k is preferred but not a must have. With the rate these new AVRs fail, I'm not really holding out hope for these to go on for 5+ years (when 4k might actually turn out to be a practical option). So not goin to pay extra for it.

Last edited:
Btw, are you sure about 6006 having 2.2 pre outs only??? Can someone please confirm this? As I said, I'm a noob here so maybe I'm not reading the specs right but on the US website of marantz it saying that 6006 has pre outs for all 7 channels.

Also, 4k is preferred but not a must have. With the rate these new AVRs fail, I'm not really holding out hope for these to go on for 5+ years (when 4k might actually turn out to be a practical option). So not goin to pay extra for it.

I own 6006. It has 7.2 Pre Outs.

6006.jpg

I was also confused between 5007 vs 6006. But I shorlisted 6006 since :
1. 4K seemed unaffordable to me for next 4-5 years. I am planning for HD Projector.

2. High Grade Components used in 600X and above. Not used in 500X and below. I dont beleive in 10 extra watts of 6006 but High Grade Components mattered to me.

6006_2.jpg

3. Dual Anti Jitter in 6006.

4. Dual HDMI Out in 6006 vs One HDMI Out in 5007. Hooking up a PJ / Secondary Montor is so easy.

I have used below AVR's in my Setup :
Marantz SR5005
Yamaha 667
Denon 1912
Pioneer 1021K

Have also demoed below AVR's at my place with same setup.
HK 3600
Yamaha 3010
Denon 3312

For my listening taste, 6006 was a clear winner.
HK3600, Denon 3312 & Pioneer 1021 were also nice for movies. But 6006 outshined for me.

Again its very subjective. Just giving my personal experience. Always welcome for a demo.

Thanks for the confirmation darshan :)

What are you currently driving with your marantz? Also, have you tried a power amp or didn't feel the need yet? If youre using 5.1 or lower setup, did you bi-amp the fronts? One last question, what are the sources you use with your setup (DTH, dedicated cdp or DVD/bdp player or just mp3s etc)?

hk is definetly a super avr maker no doubt rajadeep.
it is not talked that much may be due to reason....india support and service..may be ..i dont know exactly..

and yes hk is the only brand who keeep pre out in their low ends also...nowadays..
nice decision ....hehe..by the avr makers...

Prosenjit, are you sure they have preputs in their lower range? Their current lineup is avr 700,1700,2700 & 3700 (avr 70,170,270,370 for Europe and Asia). Of all the four models, only the top end model, ie avr 3700/370 seems to have pre outs. Avr 3700 is recently launched and in US it costs $1000+ (minimum 90k+ in India).

3600 do has...
now its cheaper..
means they started this also.....not giving preoouts...hehe
what to do...
they want to juice out us..

Thanks for the confirmation darshan :)

What are you currently driving with your marantz? Also, have you tried a power amp or didn't feel the need yet? If youre using 5.1 or lower setup, did you bi-amp the fronts? One last question, what are the sources you use with your setup (DTH, dedicated cdp or DVD/bdp player or just mp3s etc)?

My Setup is 5.1
Fronts- Energy RC-50
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Surrounds - Energy CB-5
Sub - BIC V1020

My Speakers specially Fronts are Senstive enough 91db. Hence have not tried Power Amp yet. But it would definately sound good.

I recently Bi-Amped. Very Little difference (For better).

My HT Source is mainly HTPC (With 3 HDD's) and Sony DVDP.
and Music Source is Sony DVDP for CD, Lossless Audio with HTPC (Wasapai+Jriver / iTunes), USB Drive & iPod via USB.

Off the Models I mentioned earlier, none came close to Maranatz 6006 for Music Listneing with my speakers. Still 6006 is not a Audiophile but better than the lot.

Planning to go for a DAC and Int Amp in future for serious Music Listening.

Yeah, I understand its not an audiophile grade receiver. But then I've no intention of studying the music and the sound generated by my setup. It's there for entertainment purpose only. Just making sure I can get the best I can for the money I spend. Brother is dead set on getting a bose 5.1 home theater (5 tiny sats and one subwoofer, receiver) for about 2.5L and all my efforts of explaining to him that its not a good value fell on deaf ears. He didn't like anything else and still claims bose is the best sound. To each his own I guess.

I can never do that. Spending huge amounts of cash without making absolutely certain that I'm getting the absolute best (or atleast close to it) for my money. Hopefully all the hours I put in researching and educating myself about all things audio, along with so many sundays wasted on demos, will result in a much more satisfying experience than I'd have gotten with something like bose :)

@prosenjot, I looked up lower end marantz receivers too and even those have 2 channel outs for fronts. You should replace HK with marantz for being the best value receivers (atleast on paper) :)

Last edited:
I will be able to give you the low down on Pioneer vsx-1122-k very soon as I have ordered one and it should arrive tomorrow. Though this receiver does not cut it for all your requirements, it is superb value for money when you consider the specifications. You should be willing to let go of some of your requirements if it sounds good.

Yeah, I noticed you got one for ~40k. Any reason you chose this over denon 2113 (available for appx 42k after discounts) or other receivers in the same price range?

It's not for me though as that option for pre-outs with marantz is too hard to give up. For about 10k more than pioneer, I just don't want to risk the future upgradability.

Btw, what's the warranty with pioneer? I checked for marantz but its only giving me 1 year warranty. Was hoping for three years here.

well one thing for sure maratmz got certainly better compomnents than pionerr..
also here in india..its correctly priced like us...so u get what u pay...

well thts just an idea..of mine..

Yeah, I noticed you got one for ~40k. Any reason you chose this over denon 2113 (available for appx 42k after discounts) or other receivers in the same price range?

It's not for me though as that option for pre-outs with marantz is too hard to give up. For about 10k more than pioneer, I just don't want to risk the future upgradability.

Btw, what's the warranty with pioneer? I checked for marantz but its only giving me 1 year warranty. Was hoping for three years here.

Pioneer should also be 1 year.

With Marantz, one gets Multieq XT.

I was never believer of Audyssey settings. But once I heard Denon 1912 with and without Audyssey Settings at my friends place. Without Audyssey, SQ was so just okay. But after Audyssey, it was a world of difference. Although my friend did Audyssey setup for 6-8 times to get the best results.

I own 6006. It has 7.2 Pre Outs.

View attachment 9731

I was also confused between 5007 vs 6006. But I shorlisted 6006 since :
1. 4K seemed unaffordable to me for next 4-5 years. I am planning for HD Projector.

2. High Grade Components used in 600X and above. Not used in 500X and below. I dont beleive in 10 extra watts of 6006 but High Grade Components mattered to me.

View attachment 9732

3. Dual Anti Jitter in 6006.

4. Dual HDMI Out in 6006 vs One HDMI Out in 5007. Hooking up a PJ / Secondary Montor is so easy.

I have used below AVR's in my Setup :
Marantz SR5005
Yamaha 667
Denon 1912
Pioneer 1021K

Have also demoed below AVR's at my place with same setup.
HK 3600
Yamaha 3010
Denon 3312

For my listening taste, 6006 was a clear winner.
HK3600, Denon 3312 & Pioneer 1021 were also nice for movies. But 6006 outshined for me.

Again its very subjective. Just giving my personal experience. Always welcome for a demo.

Dear buddy
thanks for excellent explanation above ....my friend planning to go for either 6006 or 6007 can you please suggest ...in one of review i couldn't find Dual Anti Jitter in 6007 .... because of budget ..... for myself planing 6006 ...looking forward for your guidance meanwhile i went thru this thread but still like to get your and other expert comment

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=114908

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back