8" Bookshelfs started singing...

Naveenbnc

Hey Guys....
Yesterday the basic setup for 8" Bookshelfs is done, and they started singing. Driver and Tweeter are from Iwai. I hardly listened 30 min...and they sounded nice:D:D. Too early to judge any way....

As of now, nothing is done on internal bracing, damping, and external paint finish.

I want to take time and understand how bracing and damping changes SQ.
I really doubt if I am critical enough to catch any minor changes in Sq.

I'm thinking if I should run them atleast 50-100 hours to make sure driver break-in happens. After that if I add bracing and then damping, I may have clarity if the SQ improvement is due to driver break-in or damping etc.

Secondly, Vent air velocity for this box is nearly 18m/sec. Unfortunately the box is cut and made based on my simulations in early stage of learning. Now I could bring the vent air velocity far down below 18m/sec....But the box is already made. I was a bit worried about port noice. But luckily I couldn't hear it as of now....

IMG_20181126_142007.jpg

Il take time on making this better, and keep posted. I really need some measuring equipment now.

Regards,
Naveen

the funny part is .... I may have to remove the bottom panel a couple of times for stuffing etc.
I don't have any T nuts handy. So I used double sided tape to glue the bottom panel. ;):D
I pasted it very carefully to make sure air leakage doesn't happen.
Of course the port height will increase by around 2 to 3 mm, But that is not causing any effect in simulation....

Sure Kannan....and before that, I have to get a hand held router to make radius to all edges.

I'm building a tower with a tweeter and two 5.5" mid drivers. My initial plan was to build 3 or 4 pairs of speakers as a learning process, and whichever sounds best, will get a paint job in the end....lets see..

Sure Kannan....and before that, I have to get a hand held router to make radius to all edges.

I'm building a tower with a tweeter and two 5.5" mid drivers. My initial plan was to build 3 or 4 pairs of speakers as a learning process, and whichever sounds best, will get a paint job in the end....lets see..
You really have a lot of dedication for DIY. You just going at it one after the other. Kudos to your efforts!

Well....the speakers sound cool for the money i spent :D.

As per simulations, the enclosures are designed to go down to around 50hz @-3dB. But subwoofer is a must to really enjoy them. I am not a purist, and the speakers don't sound as open and airy as Ahuja. They sound like a good car stereo combined with a nice sub. Exactly the kind of sound signature I personally like !!!! :D:D

No shouty feel...no fatigue at moderate volumes. I didn't test them at high volumes yet. Now i really started thinking if its necessary to work again on bracing and stuffing. Atleast for observation il do that. Will check further ...

Last edited:
But its cool to see how different the same music sounds in 3 different speakers i made. Fostex 6", Ahuja12" , & this Iwai8"

Each has its own signature and distinct.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back