8k, what do you envisage?

This was exactly my point. People were calling 4K a gimmick not that long ago. 8K is not a gimmick. We just don’t have the TV or the content to comfortably tell the difference right now. This will not be the case in a few years time.
Well IMO the improvements we will see in years time will be mainly with HDR, DV performance. Now the top tvs do 700-1000 nits. In future we may have tv’s that do 2000-4000 nits with better tone mapping. This can be done in 4k itself. Don’t find the need for 8k. I don’t see tv’s more then 85 size becoming common few years down the line. 8k may be useful in projectors for 120-150 sceeen size. I am certain that most common houses don’t have the entrance that can fit a 100+ inch TV. People living in flats forget it. No way in lift or can be carried in narrow steps. Rollable oled’s may be but they cost a bomb. Now it’s priced at 70-80L. Samsung unveiled the wall and the tech is again very expensive. Let’s wait and see after 10 years. For now 8k is just a pain and an unwanted expense.

Well IMO the improvements we will see in years time will be mainly with HDR, DV performance. Now the top tvs do 700-1000 nits. In future we may have tv’s that do 2000-4000 nits with better tone mapping. This can be done in 4k itself. Don’t find the need for 8k. I don’t see tv’s more then 85 size becoming common few years down the line. 8k may be useful in projectors for 120-150 sceeen size. I am certain that most common houses don’t have the entrance that can fit a 100+ inch TV. People living in flats forget it. No way in lift or can be carried in narrow steps. Rollable oled’s may be but they cost a bomb. Now it’s priced at 70-80L. Samsung unveiled the wall and the tech is again very expensive. Let’s wait and see after 10 years. For now 8k is just a pain and an unwanted expense.
Absolutely, 8K now is impractical and mostly marketing by TV companies to sell bigger models. I expect native 8k content to be the norm in a few years, with VR being the main driving force.

Its not been very long when Atmos and 4K was rare, now we have several OTT streaming option. To top it up Dolby Vision has changed the game.
What do you feel, how long would it take for 8K to become a norm in Household?

This information might help the FMs who are buying new gear or upgrading and 8K is one big factor to consider.
For smartphone addicted gen, even 720P is more than enough!!!

Probably, 8K will be a norm, when we get unlimited processing power to shoot and edit videos in 8K, unlimited bandwidth to transmit in 8k and virtually no price difference between a 4k and 8k viewing device..Folks use 8K to shoot videos to get ability to crop so that they get high quality 4K or 1080P videos.

Note: I'll revisit this thread after 25 years to check the reality !!!

In the pro world 8K is commonly used during recording. May take a few years to come to home video rendering.
Cheers,
Raghu

It seems we are too wrapped up in means to focus on the end.
If ultimate aim is media consumption, then trash is trash even if it’s in 8k , and a classic is well , a classic even in 1080p. The Godfather even on DVD SD is a more enriching experience than Dirty Grandpa in 8K.

Just like audio, the incremental changes will feel smaller with video as well.

When I mostly watched content in SD, and first got access to 720p content, it felt like a huge improvement. Then 1080p felt like another jump, but not as mind blowing as 720p had. Now I regularly watch 4k content on my 50" TV.
Does it look better than 1080p? Definitely.
Would I miss 4k a lot if I didn't have it? Not really.

4k is a nice to have, but 1080p is pretty good as well. The incremental change from 1080p is quite small because 1080p itself is quite sharp for the size and distance with which we watch our TVs.

Similarly 8k will offer minor improvement. I neither believe that it will be completely unnoticeable nor will it be a path breaking change. Most likely manufacturers will never produce a TV smaller than 65" with 8k resolution. At that size, it will mostly be unnoticeable, but placebo will come into play where people will convince themselves that 8k looks slightly better. The real beneficiaries will be people with 100"+ projectors (and televisions, if and when they become available).

Personally, I'd much rather manufacturers focused on features like FALD, better HDR compatibility and standardization, better audio processing capabilities, etc. But these are things that can be written as a side note, but not features which can compel people to upgrade. Manufacturers are interested in getting people to upgrade so that they can sell more. So 2 years down the line, I totally expect 8k to be the new fad, regardless of whether or not content is available. 5 years down the line, 8k TV is likely to be just as common as 4k is today, i.e., most people who can afford to, buy those televisions.

Either way, it's not the end of the world. Just like 4k televisions have come below ₹30k today, we'll have 8k televisions within reasonably affordable prices. Rest assured we'll still have HD Ready, Full HD, and 4K UHD TVs for those who want those.

Below 65 inch screen and unless sitting close enough to the TV, no one can make out difference between a true 1080p source and 4k. hence unless one is stinking rich to have a larger than 200 inch screen, there will not be any noticeable difference. completely worthless in my opinion. Even 4k benefit is mostly in Demo material such as those custom made landscape videos and some travel videos on Youtube and not for real movie content. The HDR benefit like someone said above is such a hype and such a debatable topic its laughable. I hate the 4K complications of mastered Nits vs TV nits, Dolby vision vs HDR , static vs dynamic meta data, ABL of TV, and Darkness of HDR vs SDR image and similar n number of issues involved with 4k. A common man should not be expected to be such a high level expert to enjoy a higher resolution image. So already 4k is my tipping point.

I don't know why people are glossing over the fact that these "features" are only really there to sell TVs. After 1080p there has not been anything particularly revolutionary in the video space, that includes 4K,8K and HDR. People are missing the point on how most content is consumed these days which is OTT and youtube, often on small mobile devices. The improvements are marginal at best, non existent (in practical use) at worst. The minority who buys into this 4K HDR garbage will continue to spend money and drive the niche market while most people could not care less as long as they are able to watch content quickly,easily and cheaply on either their small mobile device or TV that is 65" or smaller.

Edit : Spelling.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are glossing over the fact that these "features" are only really there to sell TVs. After 1080p there has not been anything particularly revolutionary in the video space, that includes 4K,8K and HDR. People are missing the point on how most content is consumed these days which is OTT and youtube, often on small mobile devices. The improvements are marginal at best, non existent (in practical use) at worst. The minority who buys into this 4K HDR garbage will continue to spend money and drive the niche market while most people could not care less as long as they are able to watch content quickly,easily and cheaply on either their small mobile device or TV that is 65" or smaller.

Edit : Spelling.
Another statement that absolutely makes no sense or adds any value. 4k HDR isn’t garbage and there is a good number of enthusiasts who enjoys it. Even though it’s minority it is a market. Why do u have pro audio speakers for listening to music then? Majority listen in cheap speakers or earphones using mobiles to listen to music easily,quickly and cheaply. Same for movies as well. Majority will use tv speakers or some average speakers or sound bars while minority spend on avr, processor set ups. So avr’s, processors set ups are trash? Improvements are not marginal or non existent in HDR. It’s heaven and earth difference compared to SDR and 1080p contents. Some one who finds Mid range TCL tv better then Oled can’t see that. Next you will say Ferrari is trash cause only a minority can afford and use it.

Now a days when one see "4K" badge on a TV or any other equipment, one doesn't have wide eye open. Its more likely a feeling "oh ok its 4K". Irrespective of what it offers, what's the visible difference from predecessors, how butchered the 4K of OTT are etc. Thats the normal consumer side of story I have understood and not with the enthusiasts like us on this Forum.

Probably "8K", "oh this is also 8K" would be obvious too in next 2-3 years?

In terms of real value someone would derive from such upgrades, its seems its very subjective. At least from the discussion above. :)

Another statement that absolutely makes no sense or adds any value. 4k HDR isn’t garbage and there is a good number of enthusiasts who enjoys it. Even though it’s minority it is a market. Why do u have pro audio speakers for listening to music then? Majority listen in cheap speakers or earphones using mobiles to listen to music easily,quickly and cheaply. Same for movies as well. Majority will use tv speakers or some average speakers or sound bars while minority spend on avr, processor set ups. So avr’s, processors set ups are trash? Improvements are not marginal or non existent in HDR. It’s heaven and earth difference compared to SDR and 1080p contents. Some one who finds Mid range TCL tv better then Oled can’t see that. Next you will say Ferrari is trash cause only a minority can afford
<deleted>

HDR is a game changer IMO. 4k resolution ? Not so much. Atleast i feel its not that much big of a jump like that of SD to HD. There are other aspects to the image than just the resolution.
For Gaming, HDR is a mess right now. For movies, HDR is quite amazing if you are watching it on a proper screen.

If i go by this dude's logic then Salman Khan is among the top actors in the world coz his movies are liked by many in India. ( Radhe, Race 3 etc ) These movies top movies like Blade Runner 2049 coz they have sold well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did happen to compare sharp Aquous 55inch 4k vs 8k side by side playing the same 4k demo content and there was no difference in picture quality other than the panel being 8k compatible. This was like 2 years ago while visiting abroad. I ended up purchasing a 4k Benq projector which I could fit in my carry-on luggage.
So unless the 8k content becomes mainstream or screen size of 100inches becomes common it makes no sense for me to upgrade to an 8k tv.8k projector adoption would be quicker because of size/practicality issues for people living in apartments.

Hey guys, I think high end audio is snake oil. Most people listen to audio on their boAt headphones and improvements in audio fidelity and listening experience is non existent going from my boAt headphone to a HiFiMan Shangri-La.

See how easy it is?

Once you watch on 8k then there will be no going back. It will eventual come and so will the gadgets. That is called technology advancement.

HiFi: Samsung QLED8k/65", Marantz NA 6005 + Naim Nait 5SI (For sale)+ Magnepan LRS

Mod Note: Folks..please do not start acrimonious posts. If you dont like something you are free to ignore or respond to the topic without personal attacks
Everyone can have a view and it can be different from yours or even "wrong" and that does not mean personal attacks in posts

Its not been very long when Atmos and 4K was rare, now we have several OTT streaming option. To top it up Dolby Vision has changed the game.
What do you feel, how long would it take for 8K to become a norm in Household?

This information might help the FMs who are buying new gear or upgrading and 8K is one big factor to consider.
I think mere increase in pixels cannot improve the picture quality but the display technologies like HDR, HDR 10, HDR 10+ and DOLBY VISION brings the WOW factor while watching the movie. Recently bought Toshiba u5050 55 inches budget tv online, it is a feast while watching dolby vision netflix content on it. But the real wow factor kicks in when i power on my oppo 203 4k player with 4k hdr bluray dolby vison discs like "transformers the last knight, jumanji welcome to the jungle". Recently watched "Doctor sleep" uhd bluray movie (mkv file) in which technologies like HDR 10+ and Dolby vision are used and the picture quality is truly Amazing

My few cents:

Much like 4K is to prepare consumer towards 50+ screen sizes (discounting the meagre PQ difference for smaller screens), 8K is the evolution towards larger displays. The fundamental is this - evolution towards bigger screen sizes/displays.

I am betting that the demand for 100” displays in TV is not far off……LG ‘the wall’, and Samsung et all micro-led displays consisting of whole side of a room is the coming future. 8K may not even be enough for such displays. So a 16k display or even a 32k will be not far off in future. This will bring not just a change in display sizes, but rather an immersive augmentative reality.

Personally 1080p is a passé for me. I don’t watch nothing less than 4K currently…..and mostly prefer BD /BD remix, when I want blissful PQ. For casual entertainment I use the streaming OTTs. HDR AND DOLBY VISION are significant when you can have tone mapping hardware. Otherwise …..

It’s from 2015 I dropped TV sizes less than 55” (I was using a 46” one that time). Currently I feel screen size less than 85” is suboptimal. (I use 120” and 150” projector screen size.) But off course it’s different story how much the consumer market will be ready for this change vis a vis size/costs and logistics. Mature markets like US are migrating towards 100” that’s for sure.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back