A 2.1 system with floor standers

Mogami Cables

thinkrg

Hi HiFiers,
This is my first post here.
I am a just an averagely discerning music listener, not really to the level of most people here. I have a long standing wish...I want to get a set of 2 floor standing speakers (and a subwoofer perhaps) to play my songs...western classics, movie soundtracks, new age music and once in a while the general bollywood stuff and ghazals. I have all this on iPod, MP3s or CDs.

I have a hall space of 10 feet by 20 feet ...half of it (10X10) is for dining and rest is where I will play music. I am not really interested in a 5.1 system as I will be listening from near the center of the room (except when having dinner). I DO want the floor standers as I have heard them once long back and the quality has left me obsessed. I dont think I will have TV in this area (though option of connecting to TV, DVD etc is preferred).

I only have a 'imagination' about what configurations work and dont work well so I am wondering if my dream configuration of having just 2 floor standers (3-way or 4 way or whatever does it best) is a realisable one.

A limitation is also the budget....25k or 30k INR max.
Please suggest the options that come to your mind....(or else i have to remain hooked to my iPOD). I am in Bangalore.
thanks
RG

mandeep

Hi HiFiers,
This is my first post here.
I am a just an averagely discerning music listener, not really to the level of most people here. I have a long standing wish...I want to get a set of 2 floor standing speakers (and a subwoofer perhaps) to play my songs...western classics, movie soundtracks, new age music and once in a while the general bollywood stuff and ghazals. I have all this on iPod, MP3s or CDs.

I have a hall space of 10 feet by 20 feet ...half of it (10X10) is for dining and rest is where I will play music. I am not really interested in a 5.1 system as I will be listening from near the center of the room (except when having dinner). I DO want the floor standers as I have heard them once long back and the quality has left me obsessed. I dont think I will have TV in this area (though option of connecting to TV, DVD etc is preferred).

I only have a 'imagination' about what configurations work and dont work well so I am wondering if my dream configuration of having just 2 floor standers (3-way or 4 way or whatever does it best) is a realisable one.

A limitation is also the budget....25k or 30k INR max.
Please suggest the options that come to your mind....(or else i have to remain hooked to my iPOD). I am in Bangalore.
thanks
RG

Within your budget, you can go for the famous Wharfedale Diamond 9.5, Rs 30000 MRP(inclusive of VAT) expect a discount of 10-15% on MRP. Below is the latest price list, attached.

Diamond 9.5

Have POWER 30-150W, NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6ohm
SENSITIVITY 88dB, FREQUENCY 30-24k @ -6dB
Diamond_9.5_L.jpg

These 9.5's have a punchy bass, a lot better sound stage & lower mid's are excellent.

Regards:)

Attachments

• WH-MRP (w.e.f. 1 July 2009).pdf
    13 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

thinkrg

Hi Mandeep
Sorry! Being a newcomer, i didnt explain my requirements properly enough.
I meant to include the AV receiver also and accordingly I think, 40k is what I shuold be able to spend as of now.
So finally I need suggestions on a 2.1 system with floorstanders, AVR and a DVD player. Music is the primary purpose.
The Onkyo guy showed me a system comprising TX SR307 + speakers SKS HT 728 for 40k.
Could you give some feedback on the quality of this one ? It is 5.1 channel which i dont really need so will it be better to just take a receiver and mix and match the speakers and Subwoofer ....or am i getting a better deal in the package ? I will also look in the Ezone today
thanks for your help
Rahul

Upvote 0

unleash_me

So finally I need suggestions on a 2.1 system with floorstanders, AVR and a DVD player. Music is the primary purpose.

If music is your priority and considering only 2.1, why invest in an AVR? You can put together a decent hifi system for 50k with PM7001, Diamond 9.1 and SW150. The sound quality will be much better than an excusable entry level AVR.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

thinkrg

The reason I am intereted in the AVR is to keep the option open for a later 5.1 config and of using it for movies once in a while.

So finally...as i have more clarity...i am looking for an AVR with a 2.1 set of speakers. I prefer floorstanding as they seem to give better sound than the bookshelf ones and also the bookshelf will need extra stands.

I guess the AVR has to be within 20k to leave 20k for the speakers. Is it possible to have atleast the good Indian brand products in this price range ? I have heard about Sonodyne and Acoustic Portrait being popular but dont know about the price and quality. Would appreciate peoples opinion here.
thanks

Upvote 0

MrBig

Within your budget, you can go for the famous Wharfedale Diamond 9.5, Rs 30000 MRP(inclusive of VAT) expect a discount of 10-15% on MRP. Below is the latest price list, attached.

Diamond 9.5

Have POWER 30-150W, NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6ohm
SENSITIVITY 88dB, FREQUENCY 30-24k @ -6dB
Diamond_9.5_L.jpg

These 9.5's have a punchy bass, a lot better sound stage & lower mid's are excellent.

Regards:)

Hi Mandeep

The price list mentioned by you. Is it still current. Where in Bangalore can i get WF Speakers at this rate.

Thanks and Regards
David

Upvote 0