A 2.1 system with floor standers

thinkrg

Hi HiFiers,
This is my first post here.
I am a just an averagely discerning music listener, not really to the level of most people here. I have a long standing wish...I want to get a set of 2 floor standing speakers (and a subwoofer perhaps) to play my songs...western classics, movie soundtracks, new age music and once in a while the general bollywood stuff and ghazals. I have all this on iPod, MP3s or CDs.

I have a hall space of 10 feet by 20 feet ...half of it (10X10) is for dining and rest is where I will play music. I am not really interested in a 5.1 system as I will be listening from near the center of the room (except when having dinner). I DO want the floor standers as I have heard them once long back and the quality has left me obsessed. I dont think I will have TV in this area (though option of connecting to TV, DVD etc is preferred).

I only have a 'imagination' about what configurations work and dont work well so I am wondering if my dream configuration of having just 2 floor standers (3-way or 4 way or whatever does it best) is a realisable one.

A limitation is also the budget....25k or 30k INR max.
Please suggest the options that come to your mind....(or else i have to remain hooked to my iPOD). I am in Bangalore.
thanks
RG

Hi HiFiers,
This is my first post here.
I am a just an averagely discerning music listener, not really to the level of most people here. I have a long standing wish...I want to get a set of 2 floor standing speakers (and a subwoofer perhaps) to play my songs...western classics, movie soundtracks, new age music and once in a while the general bollywood stuff and ghazals. I have all this on iPod, MP3s or CDs.

I have a hall space of 10 feet by 20 feet ...half of it (10X10) is for dining and rest is where I will play music. I am not really interested in a 5.1 system as I will be listening from near the center of the room (except when having dinner). I DO want the floor standers as I have heard them once long back and the quality has left me obsessed. I dont think I will have TV in this area (though option of connecting to TV, DVD etc is preferred).

I only have a 'imagination' about what configurations work and dont work well so I am wondering if my dream configuration of having just 2 floor standers (3-way or 4 way or whatever does it best) is a realisable one.

A limitation is also the budget....25k or 30k INR max.
Please suggest the options that come to your mind....(or else i have to remain hooked to my iPOD). I am in Bangalore.
thanks
RG

Within your budget, you can go for the famous Wharfedale Diamond 9.5, Rs 30000 MRP(inclusive of VAT) expect a discount of 10-15% on MRP. Below is the latest price list, attached.

Diamond 9.5

Have POWER 30-150W, NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6ohm
SENSITIVITY 88dB, FREQUENCY 30-24k @ -6dB
Diamond_9.5_L.jpg

These 9.5's have a punchy bass, a lot better sound stage & lower mid's are excellent.

Regards:)

Attachments

• WH-MRP (w.e.f. 1 July 2009).pdf
    13 KB · Views: 45
Hi Mandeep
Sorry! Being a newcomer, i didnt explain my requirements properly enough.
I meant to include the AV receiver also and accordingly I think, 40k is what I shuold be able to spend as of now.
So finally I need suggestions on a 2.1 system with floorstanders, AVR and a DVD player. Music is the primary purpose.
The Onkyo guy showed me a system comprising TX SR307 + speakers SKS HT 728 for 40k.
Could you give some feedback on the quality of this one ? It is 5.1 channel which i dont really need so will it be better to just take a receiver and mix and match the speakers and Subwoofer ....or am i getting a better deal in the package ? I will also look in the Ezone today
thanks for your help
Rahul

So finally I need suggestions on a 2.1 system with floorstanders, AVR and a DVD player. Music is the primary purpose.

If music is your priority and considering only 2.1, why invest in an AVR? You can put together a decent hifi system for 50k with PM7001, Diamond 9.1 and SW150. The sound quality will be much better than an excusable entry level AVR.

Cheers.

The reason I am intereted in the AVR is to keep the option open for a later 5.1 config and of using it for movies once in a while.

So finally...as i have more clarity...i am looking for an AVR with a 2.1 set of speakers. I prefer floorstanding as they seem to give better sound than the bookshelf ones and also the bookshelf will need extra stands.

I guess the AVR has to be within 20k to leave 20k for the speakers. Is it possible to have atleast the good Indian brand products in this price range ? I have heard about Sonodyne and Acoustic Portrait being popular but dont know about the price and quality. Would appreciate peoples opinion here.
thanks

Within your budget, you can go for the famous Wharfedale Diamond 9.5, Rs 30000 MRP(inclusive of VAT) expect a discount of 10-15% on MRP. Below is the latest price list, attached.

Diamond 9.5

Have POWER 30-150W, NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6ohm
SENSITIVITY 88dB, FREQUENCY 30-24k @ -6dB
Diamond_9.5_L.jpg

These 9.5's have a punchy bass, a lot better sound stage & lower mid's are excellent.

Regards:)

Hi Mandeep

The price list mentioned by you. Is it still current. Where in Bangalore can i get WF Speakers at this rate.

Thanks and Regards
David

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back