A/B/C Test - Please test and post your results

superczar

Ran into this rather interesting A/B/C test (that you can do at home) between and uncompressed/lossless master WAV/ 128kbps mp3/ 320kbps mp3

Fellow members, especially those who are using DACs that allow them to do a clean stream from a phone or computer- Would you be fine doing this and posting your results.
For me, it kind of confirms what I already knew.
My ears are not capable of differentiating between 320 and lossless

Result:
- I got 4 of 6 of wrong where I selected 320 instead of wav
- I was clearly able to distinguish between 128 and the other 2 but could not distinguish between the 320 and WAV at all
- In 2 of the tracks, I had to switch 2-3 times to differentiate between the 128 and the other 2 but got at least that difference right each time

Since it is late at night, I could do this only in my study with a pair of KEF iQ5 and a HK AVR handling the DAC and amplification.
However I will test again tomorrow in my other setups to see if I can hear a difference

Hi superczar...

I've actually tried that on my gaana subscription streaming through my Google Chromecast.. and there was a certain difference between the free 128 kbps streams, and the paid 320 kbps streams on the majority of the tracks. But please mark the use of the word majority. Some tracks were just plain crap on both :D

Some tracks were just plain crap on both :D
LOL

128 and 320 are usually clearly discernible - Even on my 1st MP3 enabled phone way back with just-a-tad-better than a basic headphone, I remember how much better 256 sounded vs 128 although getting hold of 256kbps used to be a lot more difficult then.

Here's another (and probably better ) test I found.
This lets you do an immediate flip so there is no lag involved.

I got 4/6 where I picked the uncompressed correctly. The other 2 I ended up picking the 128 because I thought the compression artefacts I was hearing were detail that the was masked on the other one, when it turned out to be the other way round. So much for modern music :D
All 3 Coldplay's sounded weird and compressed because I have that CD and it sounds so much different on my main system.
The easiest was the concert clip because there was a bit of white noise at the start, and the effect of compression on white noise is the easiest to make out ( experience from converting cassette tapes to mp3!)

Equipment used: Moto x4 and mi pro HD earbuds

Only double blind tests are useful. Your mind will easily play psychoacoustics and alter the results to your minds inclination.

4/6 here too. Both me and wife got same score. While one of our mistake matched (no. 2), the other was for different clips.

Please try the other test as well
The first one is tidal lossless vs lossy
I got 32% correct- In just one of the songs (the last one by dixie chicks) was I able to latch on to one particular detail which made me get 80% right on that
4/6 here too. Both me and wife got same score. While one of our mistake matched (no. 2), the other was for different clips.

Please try the other test as well
The first one is tidal lossless vs lossy
I got 32% correct- In just one of the songs (the last one by dixie chicks) was I able to latch on to one particular detail which made me get 80% right on that

Takes too much of patience. I couldn’t get myself to go beyond the first clip. Sorry.

The second link is a better test. But got it right only 48%. So that means I couldn’t distinguish. In the first link it was 3/6. So there too lost :)

Got 4/6 as well...
It depends upon what Genre you usually listen to I suppose, I made mistake in the classical genre.
selected the 128 kbps version :(

Stick to wav for listening on home stereo rig. Compressed formats are a compromise to reduce storage space needed in portable players or mobile phones.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back