A dream for vintage gear

rohitmusic

Hello Friends,

Just wanted to share some thoughts as I have been thinking of this ever since I was a kid. Dont know if it makes sense to even share it :)

First things first: I simply get bowled over by the design of 70's and 80's be it cars/bikes or amplifiers. (I personally feel I am born is wrong era! ;) I should have belonged to this golden era. Yup, it sounds strange for someone of current generation!)

I simply fall in love with anything that looks and feels artistic. I feel that the amplifiers designed in the 70s and 80s have designs to die for! I simply feel they are really really beautiful and they take my breath away! It could be because I like fine art and craftsmanship.

The dials, the wooden finish, the manual controls, VU meters and the warm back lighting just brings a very warm and cozy feeling that I connect to immediately!

I have always wanted (dreamt/wanted/imagined) of a small cozy place in my room where there could be these beautiful equipment possibly an tuner with manual dials with warm yellow back lighting and amplifier with beautifully finished knobs and dials with a wooden cabinet having the original "patina" of the era it was made in.

Just look at these amps..

Technics-SU-8600-amp-and-matching-ST-8600-tuner-vintage-gear-480x620.jpg

bigblue%20024.jpg

kenwood_kr-6170.jpg

index.pl

189970-pioneer_vintage_stereo_amplifier_sx750_.jpg

These are just beauties.. I can actually feel the blood rush to my heart when I see each of them! ;) Not exhagerting at all ;)

I have been planning to setup a warm,cozy setup in my bedroom. It would be so special to have something like these in a cozy corner. I have got a pair of JBL control ones and am searching for amps for same. I was just dreaming of such a setup. A dream I have always had and probably always will.
I dont know if I would ever have that "dream" come true but certainly some day! :)

This post could have very well been a page of my personal diary! :)

Last edited:
Very nice collection of pics

i have heard this kind of setups at Yezdian's place ... yamaha amp, Akai amp,

Advent speakers, garrard TT and much more

one has to listen to them to know that they have ... RTR's sound depth is more than vinyl ...

and yes one need to have special taste to like this beauties ....

All the best, will let you know if there is anything on sale

Tanoj

Last edited:
Thanks Tanoj! They truely are very very special to me!

I really cant explain to myself why I like them so much and what they mean to me. I have no idea. Maybe there is some sub-concious connection from my childhood that makes me just fall for them. It is a very very strong feeling. I have grown up in music and music equipment surrounding us. My dad is a true music lover in every sense. Every time I see these I actually get goose bumps! No idea why, cant explain.. :)

Thats a nice post rohit.

Personally I was looking to buy Pioneer SX-750/850/950/1050 3 yrs before. But could not find it in India. So many of them were available at ebay US, for which shipping cost came to twice the price of amplifier, so i dropped the idea. If I am lucky I may come across one sometime in future.

Rohit, I've seen a lot of such equipment on pune classifieds - a lot more than i expected from a city like pune. You might want to keep a close look on them

I have seen one add for Sansui G5000 and the seller is quoting 15k,But issue is the condition,we cant trust the condition of those amps, as the selling look to hide all the flaws of the system normally.

Even i have Lots of Love towards the classic stuff, 1970-1980 is the Golden Era for Amps,And am sure that it would never return at all:indifferent14:

These classic class amps are available abroad Online portals, probably we should have born in US or Europe atleast to own some of these stuff.

I was mad to search even for a Old Vaccum Radio which would be like one which My grandpa was using.

I hate that radio because it takes 5mins to switch On and there was No bass.In fact in those ages, i think the systems which give more Bass are the better one's:eek:hyeah:

I understand a person named as Kiran from Mumbai makes lot of such vintage stuff for sale in OLX. So now only the trust of the quality which they guarantee matters here

In one beauty is well maintained and ready for sale from a trusted Source, then i could pay even Half of my CTC:licklips:

Hi Rohit,
I have become an advent fan of vintage gear. I started of with Sansui amp & speakers, moved on to Akai speakers and now have a super setup - Luxman M4000 poweramp supposedly built in 1979 and Tannoy MG 15inch (not sure how old these are).
These are things of beauty that forever shall bring joy..

Hi Rohit,
I have become an advent fan of vintage gear. I started of with Sansui amp & speakers, moved on to Akai speakers and now have a super setup - Luxman M4000 poweramp supposedly built in 1979 and Tannoy MG 15inch (not sure how old these are).
These are things of beauty that forever shall bring joy..

Ah! The Luxman amp - wooden cabinet, large VU meters. The heat sinks too are done so tastefully! Beauty!

These amps will have very low WAF especially when they start getting all the attention! ;)

The matching luxman C-1000 is a beauty too!

Take my breath away.... :thumbsup:

Even I feel that I am born in the wrong time. A little too late !
My reason for saying this is not just the audio equipment but also the culture of postal letters, Tubes from Soviet Union (not CIS), Cinema theatres featuring one movie only, thinly populated country with clean surroundings, no flood of billboards and banners, TV channels just one or two in number but with many quality programs, Vividh Bharti playing songs on radios rather than RJs and advertisements on FM, landline phones with their musical 'tring tring'. My list is endless.

I won't turn my post into a rant !
I do want to say that I too share the same feeling of being born in the wrong time and I am in love with the vintage audio gear. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos.

Hi,

I am also vintage Lover.Getting vintage amps are difficult but if we search particular model definitely we will get one day.Getting vintage amp itself is difficult if we expect clean and non repairable with 10/10 cosmetic condition surely will not get single amp.After long search i have now

In Sansui

Ueno 15 (New one)
Ba2000
C2101
B2201

B2301 (This is my dream, after very long search i got this)

G5000

Dynaco Pat 4

Leak 12 Plus

Sony cdp X5000
Spendor Ls3/5A... Still Search continues.

Last edited:
Rohit, I feel the same as you and I feel that even for cars. I used to love the old honda city, the old Volkswagen polo. I just don't like the rounded edges, bonnets, etc which the new cars come with. IMHO the new Honda City looks quite ugly.

If someone starts manufacturing new amps with the old looks, they will surely sell. Not sure why even one notable manufacturer makes products like what they made in the 70s.

hi, i am also in the same boat.
in a long life finally i got some of the vintage gear in my collection.
the warmness of the vintage gear and the artistic nature is very cool to see.
my vintage collection involves
1)speakers:YAMAHA NS1000M(1978),JBL L112
2)AMPS:SANSUI AU 717(2NOS),SANSUI AUX501,SANSUI AU D11,PIONEER SA 9800,PIONEER SA 7800,SONY GX 909ES,MARANTZ SR14EX MK2(Not vintage but nearer).,sony TA F505ES
always likes the vintage gear.

Hello Friends,

Just wanted to share some thoughts as I have been thinking of this ever since I was a kid. Dont know if it makes sense to even share it :)

First things first: I simply get bowled over by the design of 70's and 80's be it cars/bikes or amplifiers. (I personally feel I am born is wrong era! ;) I should have belonged to this golden era. Yup, it sounds strange for someone of current generation!)

I simply fall in love with anything that looks and feels artistic. I feel that the amplifiers designed in the 70s and 80s have designs to die for! I simply feel they are really really beautiful and they take my breath away! It could be because I like fine art and craftsmanship.

The dials, the wooden finish, the manual controls, VU meters and the warm back lighting just brings a very warm and cozy feeling that I connect to immediately!

I have always wanted (dreamt/wanted/imagined) of a small cozy place in my room where there could be these beautiful equipment possibly an tuner with manual dials with warm yellow back lighting and amplifier with beautifully finished knobs and dials with a wooden cabinet having the original "patina" of the era it was made in.

These are just beauties.. I can actually feel the blood rush to my heart when I see each of them! ;) Not exhagerting at all ;)

This post could have very well been a page of my personal diary! :)

You have touched my emotional chord. I have a big weakness for vintage gear.

--
helium= HTPC Asus Xonar ST + Sansui Au-317 + Luxman M-06a + Magnepan / For sale: Polk Audio LSi9

Rohit, no wood, but I wonder what this group of images does for you?

What's more, I heard it said that the old ones sound better than the modern ones...

McIntosh Images.

~
Dear Thad,
Please kindly stop teasing me! :D

Looked at the google search and immediately minimized the window to stop the rush..
beauties to die for :D Was eyeing one but these are well beyond my affordability! :lol: Heck I even search on olx and quikr to find if I could get hold of one!
"Been there done that" :D

I was reading about them the other day and seems McIntosh were the first to introduce the iconic large blue VU meters.

If anyone wants to gift me one will pray for his soul for life :clapping:

You should think twice before posting such "lethal" images, someone may just have an heart attack here! :lol:

Last edited:
i would love to have just one of those beauties as my prized possesion..

and yes wish we were 20 years back :)

those days were the days of pure beauty and not jazzy stuff.

Rohit, no wood, but I wonder what this group of images does for you?

What's more, I heard it said that the old ones sound better than the modern ones...

McIntosh Images.

~

Hi Thad,
I just read the article about Mr. Howard Hughes( 6th image of McIntosh ). Very interesting. Thanks.
I previously owned Mcintosh MC 28 pre & 2105 power. Now i have MC 2505 same as Mr.Hughes.:D

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back