A few newbie questions (regarding connections to the receiver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcy

Hello folks.

After some tremendous help from the forums, I got myself a new HT setup which I have named Phoenix.

But I have got a few questions regarding connections to the receiver...hope this is the right section to post this:

1.To be able to listen to our cassettes collection, we hooked the receiver with the Sony Cassette/CD player, model : Archived CMT-NEZ33 : Micro Hi-Fi System : Hi-Fi System : Sony India via a Y-cable from the player's headphone jack into the receiver's aux inputs.
I have been running CDs and cassettes using this setup, and although everything plays fine, I want to know if this the right way to do it ? The Sony player doesn't have any aux-out other than a headphone jack.

2. Using this very cable, is it possible to connect a computer to the receiver (through headphone jack) ? Or is a DAC mandatory for the circuit's safety ?

3. Not related to receiver connections, but another important aspect is the power supply. We are running the setup through a dedicated power point (which isn't hooked with the inverter). Now, in our region, there are not many power-cuts or voltage fluctuations...so...is a stabilizer still recommended ? Also, if we run the setup through a power point that's hooked with the inverter, can it damage the circuitry when mains go off and inverter takes charge ?

I hope I can get some answers for these, to keep our system safe and sound. :)

Last edited:
1. I am afraid thats the best way for you. You mini system does not have any output. I would suggest hearing tape from the mini itself than connecting to the receiver as the headphone out to receiver will bring down the SQ

2. Yes you can, SQ will be bad. What system do you have? Does your comp has a audio out? I would suggest you invest in a good soundcard and then connect the output from the sound card to your receiver. A DAC is not a circuit protection device, its job is to enhance your compressed digital music files to the original SQ. It takes the lousy mp3 output from your comp and fine tunes it so the SQ is better and comparable to the original music file. Search the forum on DAC and Sound Cards, we have discussed this enough.

3. Stabilizer is more of peace of mind. It will help in surges etc. Also, it will will protect it from instant switch off/on during a powercut. Inverter power is not generally recommended for music equipments. Again, search the forum on stabilizers and Servo stabs ...we have beaten the topic to death.

My best advice and your best friend is the search button :) post specific questions

Upon request from the OP this thread is closed. He already has all the answers he needs and feels this thread is redundant.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back