A Few Thoughts on HTPC

My query is mostly theoretical.
Can a well built PC with a BD/CD drive put out Video to a display device (before or after processing) and also put out processed sound to external amps?

AV formats go through changes every few years.
In video it was 480 --> 720 --> 1080. Now it is 4K. Yes the display device needs to support resolution.
In Audio we have had 5.x, 7.x etc. Now it is x.y.z in all mind boggling combinations.
AVRs go through churn every 5 years with a kitchen sink of I/Os and dedicated AV processors.
A PC which is the most versatile decoder should be able to handle such changes easily, correct?

BTW, not planning on putting together anything. Just trying to learn of the capabilities of a PC platform.

I may be completely wrong or misinformed. But I feel that electronics these days are priced sometimes unreasonably high with too many redundancies in the chain.

Cheers,
Raghu

Buxx, I have deleted your message. If you want to put an item up for sale, follow the rules properly and create a For Sale thread.You cannot hijack someone's thread and provide a link to an external sales thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused. When you say 'stereo amp for each channel', am I right in assuming you have one stereo amp?

If that is true, you really do not have to output 5.1 or 7.1 sound. You just need stereo output. Any good audio sound card will do.

The best today is Asus Xonar STX. Very hard to beat.

Cheers

hi venkatcr,

I will simplify things clearly this issue is concern to those you dont own a AVR.

When you say 'stereo amp for each channel', am I right in assuming you have one stereo amp?

At present for the 5.1 ch- Amps are connected to mobo analog output as below,
1. one stereo amp for the main channel (STK 439)
2. one mono amp for the centre (LA4440 IC)
3. one stereo amp for the surround (LA4440 IC)

As every one knows the audio quality which comes from mobo i mean DAC conversion is of poor quality max 16BIT,S/R will be around 84db,
Most quality mobo makers offer Realtek onboard audio ALC889 is generally the top offering, While it boast around 108 dB S/N ratio but it's far from reality.

Addon or dedicated soundcards generally raise that to 116 to 124 dB and which are capable to transmiting audio formats like dts hd master,dolby true hd.and also all the Sample Rate and Resolution 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16bit/24bit.

i havent found any only Creative Sound Blaster Z series cards are capable but its a 5.1 ch card,i need 7.1 ch.

As you say "Asus Xonar STX" yes i have gone through the specs its a 7.1 ch card and it does justice to what i need i will go for that thanks.

Currently i am busy setting up my new HT Room,with new DIY transistor/toroidal amp,drivers,projector,screen with room acoustics have cleaned up all the mess,pics will be posted shortly in a new thread for suggestions.

thanks
r/s

Maybe the experts can chime in on this question. Venkat, sorry for the subtle hijack of your thread.

1. Assume a powerful PC purpose built for HT/Music
2. Let's throw in a good graphics card (decode/upscale capability)
3. Lets throw in a good and flexible outputs sound card (decent multi-channel DACs)

With the above combo:
1. can we route Video via graphics card to TV and Audio via sound card to amps?
2. if yes, then does having an AVR make sense?
3. can we just have a multichannel power amp to drive speakers connected to them?
4. system will be limited in terms of sources, but with the movies/music going digital, will this work in theory (sound and video quality apart)?

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi raghu

reply to your points,

Definitely dedicated audio or video cards that we use in pc will sound much better provided if you have a good set of speakers and can even beat in terms of quality advanced AVR'S.

1.why not you can easily connect hd video from video card output through either hdmi or dvi cable to your T.V,and audio from your dedicated sound card to multichannel amp (5.1 or 7.1ch) .
2. if point 1 is followed then there is no need for AVR's
3. its explained in point 1
4. what do you mean by "system will be limited in terms of sources"
the above theory will work without any issues.

Usually its never recommended to use sound cards to anyone who isn't really an audiophile. But, if you already have it, the sound card will do better than HDMI. since dedicated is pretty much always better than shared. but you would get technically better sound quality from the sound card. How much better depends on your speakers you plan on using.

thanks
r.s

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep the discussion to OP Venkat's original purpose.
I got good info from you guys.

Thanks,
Raghu

Could be a compatibility issue. Maybe the AVR was getting wrong instructions with the incoming data. Maybe the AVR was not set properly. When you send data for upscaling down the line, it is best to send data in raw format from the source. I am not even sure if AVRs understand what madVR does, if at all anything. What I do is to set all scaling and acceleration in the GPU off, and let the AVR do it's job. Alternatively if the AVR does not have a good scaler, set is to pass video through.

What you could do is to set the upscaling in the AVR off and see what happens. Then set the upscaling in the source off (and the AVR on) and see what happens.

Had to tell what is happening unless you spend time and tick off issues and possibilities one by one.

Cheers

@Venkat: So I tried as you suggested. I configured the AVR for an HDMI passthrough but it did not improve the visual quality from its faded. At the source I disabled madVR and it did not change the situation one bit. The thing I forgot to mention is that even the desktop when connected through Windows 10 looks faded and shallow. Do you feel I should try this with 8.1?

@Venkat: So I tried as you suggested. I configured the AVR for an HDMI passthrough but it did not improve the visual quality from its faded. At the source I disabled madVR and it did not change the situation one bit. The thing I forgot to mention is that even the desktop when connected through Windows 10 looks faded and shallow. Do you feel I should try this with 8.1?

I have seen a number of movies through Windows 10, and they are perfect. I dont think 8.1 will help. If at all, you should try with Windows 7.

Did you check the authenticity of the cables? Something is affecting your picture as it moves from one place to another.

Cheers

I have seen a number of movies through Windows 10, and they are perfect. I dont think 8.1 will help. If at all, you should try with Windows 7.

Did you check the authenticity of the cables? Something is affecting your picture as it moves from one place to another.

Cheers

I am having the same issue of movies appearing faded out ( high brightness )with Windows 7 when using J river. The solution is to calibrate the display through windows display setting and then it gets better leaps and bounds.

But nothing beats the clarity when playing the movie through TV using external hard disk. Just so crisp and deep blacks.

I find difference with Audio too when bit streaming done from J river and when played through Hard disk from Tv. Especially with the way the surround sound is played

Cheers

I am using Amazon Basics HDMI cable which came highly recommended here and AVSForum. Also would that not affect even the Mac OS output? Because the visuals thrown on TV through Mac OS is just fine.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back