A good cheap Pre-Amp dac

Have you shortlisted any yet? How's the hunt going ?

MaSh
Yes - I managed to get 2 demos at home, and one is on the way. With the tourist season being on full flow, I made friends carry stuff with them on their visits to Goa. I managed to get my hands on the following -

1 - SMSL SU8 - Pretty good device straight out of the box. Some changes in the SQ (some good, some unsure about) but it is not a night and day difference. The sound as always with BS Node 2i - was pretty good, but the DAC didn't do much, cleared up the lower range a decent bit, but made the sound pretty directional. I am not sure how to describe, but with the G3s in near field, and with just the BS, they kind of disappear, the SU8 made the sound come out of the speaker again. I did not like that.
2 -Schiit Audio Modi Multibit II - I used to have one too so I knew what to expect, but with Genelecs this becomes a bit too harsh.

3 - A Chord Qutest is on it's way on 10th of Feb - a friend is bringing it.

I have however decided to move in a different direction and get a better streamer or AIO box. So looking at Naim Uniti Head Phone Edition or Matrix audio Element i2 (lots of software bugs reported though); and last is Auralic. Trying to get some auditions in March. Till then will try and get DACs that I can hear in my house.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes - I managed to get 2 demos at home, and one is on the way. With the tourist season being on full flow, I made friends carry stuff with them on their visits to Goa. I managed to get my hands on the following -

1 - SMSL SU8 - Pretty good device straight out of the box. Some changes in the SQ (some good, some unsure about) but it is not a night and day difference. The sound as always with BS Node 2i - was pretty good, but the DAC didn't do much, cleared up the lower range a decent bit, but made the sound pretty directional. I am not sure how to describe, but with the G3s in near field, and with just the BS, they kind of disappear, the SU8 made the sound come out of the speaker again. I did not like that.
2 -Schiit Audio Modi Multibit II - I used to have one too so I knew what to expect, but with Genelecs this becomes a bit too harsh.

3 - A Chord Qutest is on it's way on 10th of Feb - a friend is bringing it.

I have however decided to move in a different direction and get a better streamer or AIO box. So looking at Naim Uniti Head Phone Edition or Matrix audio Element i2 (lots of software bugs reported though); and last is Auralic. Trying to get some auditions in March. Till then will try and get DACs that I can hear in my house.

Thanks!
That's wonderful. Yes try out as many as you can and pick the best that goes with your setup.

MaSh

Update on G3 + Qutest.

After trying the SMSL SU8 & Modi Multibit II; I believe (no A/B) that the most impressive SQ I have got till now, is BS + Qutest + FM @Kannan's Coax IEC + Mogami 2497 RCA IECs. The combination of the G3 + Qutest (with other things being the same in all other experiments) - sounds the most amazing out of the 2 DACs tested earlier & the BS node 2i alone.

Obviously for the price - one expects that it should.

Points of note -
1 - Soundstage was wide and deep enough to create a believable 3D image with speakers being well within the soundstage. Outstanding.
2 - The bass - was the best of the lot, so was the treble. Vocals were slightly less prominent, the BS node 2i & G3 combo is better for Vocals IMO.
3 - My favourite part was listening to slap bass & percussive music on this combo. I kept listening to Trip Trap by Marcus Miller & Le serpent by Guem, Zaka Percussions. It does a very believable representation of instruments.

My only gripe - I can't live with the way it looks. Otherwise - till now, the best combo I have heard with BS Node 2i & G3.

**** My impressions are based on memory; I do not have the earlier DACs to do an A/B, so perhaps not accurate and very biased as I was listening & enjoying with a friend, instead of analysing on my own.

Last edited:
After trying the SMSL SU8 & Modi Multibit II; I believe (no A/B) that the most impressive SQ I have got till now, is BS + Qutest + FM @Kannan's Coax IEC + Mogami 2497 RCA IECs. The combination of the G3 + Qutest (with other things being the same in all other experiments) - sounds the most amazing out of the 2 DACs tested earlier & the BS node 2i alone.
IEC???

Took my Genelecs + BS Node 2i to a headphone enthusiast's house today. Spent around 2 hours listening to his 3 DACs - (sadly not in my room) - but these are my impressions with Genelecs -
* The cables were - Mogami 2497 Neglex RCA, Mogami 2549 RCA with Neutrik connectors (Ali's).

1 - Schiit Bifrost - I really liked this. Again with memory of Chord in my room, I would say they both have their strengths. Chord's bass was definitely more controlled (atleast in my room), but Schiit's colouration suited the midrange and voices better. I like this.
2 - Cayin iDAC 6 - MK2 - A good looking piece of equipment, but goes in the the not-so-impressive list. Nothing to write home about.
3 - Schiit Freya + - This is not a DAC - so we were using Node 2i's DAC for this one - but this was the revelation of the day. I am yet to decide on whether I liked it or not, as the sound was very different from what I am used to (maybe that is why people love their tube stuff). It was also the most revealing out of everything I heard today and maybe even Qutest. This is also what I spent the most amount of time listening, however not enough to decide whether, it was the shock of a completely new sound signature or it was actually the best of everything I have auditioned till now. Regardless, I didn't want to over stay my welcome, so with an invitation to join me for a drink some day at my place and a request to bring Freya + along, I said my goodbyes. I have a feeling, I will be spending some time auditioning this pre-amp.

Thanks!

This thread can be concluded from my end - as I went ahead & bought an RME ADI 2 DAC FS after listening to it recently, not in my system, but another. The absolutely fantastic DSP & variable loudness was the clincher for me.

Thanks for all who chimed in.

Congratulations!!!

BTW I am going down the SBC lane - Asus Tinkerboard 2S is on the way. First to try with iFi DAC I have. Then Khadas VM3L and a Khadas Toneboard or TB2.

Sorry..but what is your feedback on simpler and cheaper DAC s like topping?
Depends on what model you are looking at. SMSL, Topping, have been measured well & there are many satisfied customers. Your decision depends on your preference and feature set required.

My music chain is thus - laptop running Spotify on Ubuntu - Topping D10s - Harman Kardon AVR 240 - Jamo S 60 Bookshelf speakers, and a Harman Kardon Subwoofer. Quite satisfactory. Can get loud and clear - trademark Harman sound which is based on high current capability built into the transformers in the Amplifier.

Took my Genelecs + BS Node 2i to a headphone enthusiast's house today. Spent around 2 hours listening to his 3 DACs - (sadly not in my room) - but these are my impressions with Genelecs -
* The cables were - Mogami 2497 Neglex RCA, Mogami 2549 RCA with Neutrik connectors (Ali's).

1 - Schiit Bifrost - I really liked this. Again with memory of Chord in my room, I would say they both have their strengths. Chord's bass was definitely more controlled (atleast in my room), but Schiit's colouration suited the midrange and voices better. I like this.
2 - Cayin iDAC 6 - MK2 - A good looking piece of equipment, but goes in the the not-so-impressive list. Nothing to write home about.
3 - Schiit Freya + - This is not a DAC - so we were using Node 2i's DAC for this one - but this was the revelation of the day. I am yet to decide on whether I liked it or not, as the sound was very different from what I am used to (maybe that is why people love their tube stuff). It was also the most revealing out of everything I heard today and maybe even Qutest. This is also what I spent the most amount of time listening, however not enough to decide whether, it was the shock of a completely new sound signature or it was actually the best of everything I have auditioned till now. Regardless, I didn't want to over stay my welcome, so with an invitation to join me for a drink some day at my place and a request to bring Freya + along, I said my goodbyes. I have a feeling, I will be spending some time auditioning this pre-amp.

Thanks!

I have a Freya+, if interested let me know.

Even with a DSP, a tube pre-amp can have a place in the chain. Just saying!
And I absolutely agree. Just that for now, I guess 3 boxes are enough! I started with the aim to reduce boxes, right now, I am at the same number as before :)

And I absolutely agree. Just that for now, I guess 3 boxes are enough! I started with the aim to reduce boxes, right now, I am at the same number as before :)
Oh, You'd be hugely mistaken if you thought going the powered (or active) route would result in a minimalist approach. At the very least, you have to contend with the power cables from the speakers, not to mention the XLR cables (if each speaker is powered but not wireless).

The most minimalist way of going about stereo that I've come across, barring the myriad battery powered bluetooth speakers that allow for a stereo mode, would be all-in-one integrated amps which have built in streaming and room EQ such as the NAD M10 V2 etc. - limited to a single unit, two speaker cables and a power chord.

Let us know how it goes.
Not so encouraging. RPi is not available at all. Asus TB is another capable SBC. But Volumio does not support Asus Tinker Board 2. They stopped at the first version of TB and produced their Primo out of Tinker Board:mad:

So I have now a Android Tab / Debian TB. However, in Android mode I am able to power my iFi Nano DSD DAC. Good sound and seems louder than using PC. Don't know how it can be turned headless without Volumio.

Not so encouraging. RPi is not available at all. Asus TB is another capable SBC. But Volumio does not support Asus Tinker Board 2. They stopped at the first version of TB and produced their Primo out of Tinker Board:mad:

So I have now a Android Tab / Debian TB. However, in Android mode I am able to power my iFi Nano DSD DAC. Good sound and seems louder than using PC. Don't know how it can be turned headless without Volumio.
If you install DietPi on Asus TB, softwares such as mpd , LMS etc can be installed from the DietPi configuration menu. One doesn't need to use the linux cli to install the applications. Please see the link for supported applications

I had a Asus TB which is not detecting it's LAN connection, hence not using it

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back